Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Real World Towing Experiences?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is anyone towing with their MX? I'm curious how that's going and also how much additional drain it puts on the battery (range).

My situation - we're planning on an MX for the wife. I do HPDE with my Porsche and want the ability to tow it on an open car carrier. The car and the trailer will be near the 5K weight max but not over it. I'm curious what type of highway range I might get trying to do this. Probably won't work and I'll need to just buy an ICE to do my towing, but I thought I'd ask.

Let me just add my .02 to this thread, if you are planning on towing and need to rely on anything other then superchargers or fast charge DC station for in between stops - come up with a different plan - especially in cold weather. We have MX P90D and recently sold our cabin and needed to move some stuff home (190 miles). I own a single axle Aluma utility trailer 6310H and with the trailer empty in winter at 53MPH I'm getting 550WH/mi or about 120 to 130 mile range with the ramp off (trailer completely flat and this is a light trailer ~600lbs empty). I towed a double axle 6 foot by 12 foot enclosed Uhaul trailer for one trip, and it was way worse ~100 to 110 mile range at 45MPH 625WH/mi.
In my opinion, 45MPH is not a safe steady-state speed on any road with people trying dangerous passes to get around you. Even if you have a supercharger in range they are not designed for trailers and unhooking is a pain. I started leaving at 10PM and driving overnight to 6AM to avoid traffic and have empty superchargers - but never again. All the trips were very frustrating with the U-haul especially bad sitting at J1772 at a car dealership 30 amps for 5 hours trying to be able to get to the next supercharger - a truly terrible experience.

I'm also very dissapointed in the trip planner and on-board energy monitoring when pulling anything - the Tesla software can not be relied upon to give accurate estimates of range even at very slow speeds. I just stared assuming 1 to 1.25 mile for every 1% capacity at 53 MPH. The vehicle itself can handle the loads, but with current charging infrastructure and battery capacities, EV's are just not suitable for towing more then 100 miles total. Even then, be prepared to tow at night or the trip to take six times as long...

with current charging infrastructure and battery capacities, EV's are just not suitable for towing more then 100 miles total.
The experiences of other TMC members such as @JimVandegriff and @jackbowers differs from your conclusion. With planning they can tow up to around 150 miles using an X90D, and they are towing reasonably large and heavy trailers. Member @fortytwo tows a lighter trailer and gets well over 100 miles.

Not sure that anyone cares about this thread anymore, but I've read all of the towing posts so far, and in general what is not clearly stated is that there is very little margin for overcoming any problems towing with an EV. Consider the following:

- Flat tire on the trailer or other mechanical issue. If that were to happen it would have significant negative range impacts especially in cold weather
- Supercharger or other charger being full or ICE'd. It is not so easy to sit around in a parking lot with a trailer backing up or moving around. All current chargers are not set up for access with trailers. Ask me how much fun it is to disconnect and reconnect a trailer 4 times in 6 hours.
- You miss an exit or construction causes a detour.
- Car accident or weather snow causes backup on the road / interstate.
- Charger or outlet is broken, no longer works, or has lower charge rate.
- Sitting in your car at a charger in the winter - some of the amps are going into keeping the cabin warm.

These could be overcome, but it would be a major headache and would cost someone a significant amount of time - like hours of time - issues that would not come up with towing with an ICE.

Most people actually want to get somewhere and back and meet some sort of reasonable schedule. If you are just towing for recreation and trying to cover short distances between campgrounds then maybe, but for everything else my advice is to carefully think about everything that can come up and how long it takes to get charge back into the car at L2 charge rate.