Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Really great ranger experience...one question remains

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have had my 2015 P85D CPO for about three weeks now, and today was visited by our SE WI ranger, who was awesome. He fixed my weather stripping, addressed the squeaky sunroof by refreshing the gasket, and gave me a better gen 2 40amp UMC. Really great guy, and great turnaround as I just set up the appointment yesterday.

However

On the emailed service report, he added the tire depth. When I purchased the vehicle I was told Tesla would not sell a car with less than 6/32 depth. I have driven less than 1000 miles, yet the ranger measured the tire depth as follows (center measurement)
LF 4/32
RF 4/32
LR 3/32
RR 3/32

I am already escalating a purchase concern with the CPO regional management, should I raise this as a concern as well? Seems odd to have so much tire wear for 850 miles if they truly were at a minimum of 6/32 when I purchased the car

Tire depth measurements can be hit or miss. I have a one year old model S with only 6 month on the tire due to winter swap and the SC measured it to be 3/32, the next SC visit measured to be 6/32 a few months later. Check it to make sure the lower measure is not a glitch.

• Informative
Reactions: WISluggo
Tire depth measurements can be hit or miss. I have a one year old model S with only 6 month on the tire due to winter swap and the SC measured it to be 3/32, the next SC visit measured to be 6/32 a few months later. Check it to make sure the lower measure is not a glitch.
They did provide three measurements for each tire: outer, center, and inner. I just provided the center measurement for ease of posting, but the highest of any of the 12 measurements was 5/32

and gave me a better gen 2 40amp UMC.

U actually got downgraded here ...if I recall your car had a single 40a charger ..as @tpham07 mentions now u have a slower 32a Charger ...doesn’t matter much now but when it gets cold in your area you don’t want to lose too much efficiency ...was ur gen 1 broken ? Also don’t think they will do anything on ur tires ..as that should have been brought up at delivery ..the cars do burn thru tires as regen eats them up ...on my staggered P85D I would be luck to get 12k miles from tires ..and as u mentioned it’s subjective whether 850miles burned that or not

U actually got downgraded here ...if I recall your car had a single 40a charger ..as @tpham07 mentions now u have a slower 32a Charger ...doesn’t matter much now but when it gets cold in your area you don’t want to lose too much efficiency ...was ur gen 1 broken ? Also don’t think they will do anything on ur tires ..as that should have been brought up at delivery ..the cars do burn thru tires as regen eats them up ...on my staggered P85D I would be luck to get 12k miles from tires ..and as u mentioned it’s subjective whether 850miles burned that or not
Thanks for the thoughts on the tires, fortunately I don’t have the staggered rims so i will check the depth myself this weekend.

I was told by the ranger that this is an early gen 2, my gen 1 would not auto open the charge port door. Either way the charger they gave me still pulls 40amps. We verified that before he left, and this one has more of a plasticy handle. I could snap a picture later if helpful. I was sure to check that it still pulls 40amps

Thanks for the thoughts on the tires, fortunately I don’t have the staggered rims so i will check the depth myself this weekend.

I was told by the ranger that this is an early gen 2, my gen 1 would not auto open the charge port door. Either way the charger they gave me still pulls 40amps. We verified that before he left, and this one has more of a plasticy handle. I could snap a picture later if helpful. I was sure to check that it still pulls 40amps

If pulls 40 you have gen 1 ...u can tell by adaptors ...if long ones gen 2 ..all “D” Tesla’s suffer from negative camber ...this is true for most AWD cars ..you will typically see inner tires wear faster ..which is why you get crazy tread readings ...I had tires perfectly fine in middle but had to replace ..check your SAS setting as well as running low also burns thru tires