Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Way to long without rotating tires!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I moved from one state to another over the last year, and some maintenance items got missed... I put the "new" tires on the car Jun 4th 2022 and didn't get around to rotating them until today, 14 months later! The really bad part is that in that 14 month span of time I covered over 30,000 miles!!! (31,065 to be exact) While rotating the tires today I went ahead and took tread depth measurements. The ones I took off of the back had a max depth on the best grove of 5/32 on one side and 6/32 on the other. The worst grove on those was 4/32 on both tires. The ones that I took off of the front had 8/32 on the best grove on both tires, and the worst on both tires was 6/32.

I expect to get at least 10,000 more miles out of these now that I have rotated them, perhaps more. I will just leave them in the positions they are in now until it is time to purchase a new set of tires. As much as I seem to drive this car, that should be less than a year before I need new tires.

I have heard horror stories of others with MYP out there (even on square setups) getting 25,000 miles out of a set of tires... perhaps the ones I have just wear slower? They are Continental Contisport Contact 3 tires in 255/55/18.

Later,

Keith

Reactions: Msicario
You can follow the tire rotation interval in the Tesla Model Y Owner's Manual (every 10,000km or 6250 miles). In addition, the Tesla Model Y will notify you that it is time to rotate the tires when the tread depth difference (front and rear) is greater than 2/32nd of an inch (the Tesla Model Y will detect the difference in wheel rotations per mile.) Else, do nothing and eventually you will need to purchase at least 2 new tires (probably rear tires.) If the tires are wearing evenly across the (inner/center/outer) tread you can probably continue driving without having an alignment performed.

My 2020 LRMY has the original equipment 255-45/19 Continental Procontact RX tires with 15.5k miles; the tires have not been rotated. I measure the tread depth every 6 months; will probably buy new tires at 22k to 25k miles.

I would have the tires rotated front to rear but so far my Model Y has not displayed the message that it is time to rotate the tires. I don't accelerate aggressively and the difference in tread depth is holding at less than 2/32nds as the tires wear. If I my Tesla Model Y requires service I would have the tires rotated as part of the servicing. It has been 3 years since my 2020 LRMY required service. I changed the cabin air filters at 2 years.

I moved from one state to another over the last year, and some maintenance items got missed... I put the "new" tires on the car Jun 4th 2022 and didn't get around to rotating them until today, 14 months later! The really bad part is that in that 14 month span of time I covered over 30,000 miles!!! (31,065 to be exact) While rotating the tires today I went ahead and took tread depth measurements. The ones I took off of the back had a max depth on the best grove of 5/32 on one side and 6/32 on the other. The worst grove on those was 4/32 on both tires. The ones that I took off of the front had 8/32 on the best grove on both tires, and the worst on both tires was 6/32.

I expect to get at least 10,000 more miles out of these now that I have rotated them, perhaps more. I will just leave them in the positions they are in now until it is time to purchase a new set of tires. As much as I seem to drive this car, that should be less than a year before I need new tires.

I have heard horror stories of others with MYP out there (even on square setups) getting 25,000 miles out of a set of tires... perhaps the ones I have just wear slower? They are Continental Contisport Contact 3 tires in 255/55/18.

Later,

Keith
Are you saying that you’re getting over 35K miles on a MYP rear tires? They are staggered & can’t rotate them😬 No camber

Are you saying that you’re getting over 35K miles on a MYP rear tires? They are staggered & can’t rotate them😬 No camber
OP doesn’t have stock MYP tires, they’re 255/55/18, and likely a square setup.

Technically you can rotate them in a staggered setup. On one hand, if you’re willing to go with a “reverse” stagger, you can do a full rotation. On the other hand, even without going reverse stagger, you can still swap side to side. The tires are not directional.

Not sure what the no camber (and smiley before it?) is about…

OP doesn’t have stock MYP tires, they’re 255/55/18, and likely a square setup.

Technically you can rotate them in a staggered setup. On one hand, if you’re willing to go with a “reverse” stagger, you can do a full rotation. On the other hand, even without going reverse stagger, you can still swap side to side. The tires are not directional.

Not sure what the no camber (and smiley before it?) is about…
The tires on the MYP are directional; Clearly says on the tire (outside)
Speaking from experience my (2022MYP) I noticed the inside of the rear (275/35/21) tires were wearing out faster than the outside half; So I thought a good wheel alignment will correct it; Nope, there is no adjustable camber set up; Most cars do have it, but Tesla decided not to install it. To be able to correct it, I purchased an adjustment camber arm kit Amazon ($160) had it installed for $100,
Had the problem corrected with a wheel alignment; Now they are wearing out evenly; Probably get an extra 10K miles.

The tires on the MYP are directional; Clearly says on the tire (outside)
Speaking from experience my (2022MYP) I noticed the inside of the rear (275/35/21) tires were wearing out faster than the outside half; So I thought a good wheel alignment will correct it; Nope, there is no adjustable camber set up; Most cars do have it, but Tesla decided not to install it. To be able to correct it, I purchased an adjustment camber arm kit Amazon ($160) had it installed for $100,
Had the problem corrected with a wheel alignment; Now they are wearing out evenly; Probably get an extra 10K miles.
I have an MYP, they are not directional. Are you confusing directional with asymmetrical? Where it is specifically inside/outside?

There's a HUGE difference between saying, "no camber" vs "no adjustable camber"... cause the car does have camber. Yes, its supposed to have camber. And technically, it does have "adjustable" camber, just within a small margin by moving the upper arm mounting plate.

If you zero out camber and do a LOT of turning, you'll find it's less "happy" that way.

When rotating the tires, do you guys go straight front to back / back to front? Or do you cross them also L to R?

The model 3/Y are all wheel drive, but they mostly run as rear wheel drive.
So following common recommendation, I do a rearward crossing.

Note: This would not apply to the MY Performance which has staggered tires.

For vehicles that are rear wheel drive vehicles, the rearward cross pattern is recommended.
Rear tires are moved to the forward axle and kept on the same side of the vehicle
while the front tires are moved to opposite sides of the rear axle.

Rearward cross .jpg

Reactions: flixden
I have an MYP, they are not directional. Are you confusing directional with asymmetrical? Where it is specifically inside/outside?

There's a HUGE difference between saying, "no camber" vs "no adjustable camber"... cause the car does have camber. Yes, its supposed to have camber. And technically, it does have "adjustable" camber, just within a small margin by moving the upper arm mounting plate.

If you zero out camber and do a LOT of turning, you'll find it's less "happy" that way.
Technically ? 🤦🏻 You go ahead and take it to a professional tire shop and have them do a rear wheel alignment; Have then adjust the “technically adjustable camber” 😲🤣😂 See what they tell you.
And also ask them to flip the tires inside out 😬 Let us know what they say, and please show a printed copy of the alignment. 🤔

No one has advised to "flip" the tires inside out. The discussion simply clarified the difference between asymmetrical tread and directional tread. The tires being discussed, AFAIK, are asymmetrical.

"Do asymmetrical tires have a direction?

Asymmetrical tires are designed to enhance traction, handling, and cornering capabilities while reducing noise. These tires are often found on sport performance vehicles. The tires can rotate in either direction when mounted with the correct side facing out, as indicated on the tire sidewall."

Technically ? 🤦🏻 You go ahead and take it to a professional tire shop and have them do a rear wheel alignment; Have then adjust the “technically adjustable camber” 😲🤣😂 See what they tell you.
And also ask them to flip the tires inside out 😬 Let us know what they say, and please show a printed copy of the alignment. 🤔
I will admit, I was thinking of the front when talking about the adjustable camber, not the rear.

I did not say anything about flipping the tire. We are talking about tire rotation. You can move the left tire (and wheel) and swap with the right tire (and wheel) without unmounting the tires from the wheel because they are not directional. Being asymmetrical means that the outside sidewall has to face the outside, it’s in relation to the center point of the car… which won’t change when still mounted on the wheel, no matter which position on the car (LF, RF, LR or RR).

The tires that came with the MYP are asymmetric, but not directional.

and

A directional tire will specifically have an arrow pointing in the direction of rotation. And also, it would typically be pretty obvious from the design of the treads.

The CC2 are directional, while not being asymmetric (as far as I can tell). You can see the directional arrow near the bottom, just to the left when looking at the sidewall pictures.

Now, you have to flip the tires on the wheel to swap them left-right.

They both allow left-right tire rotations, just one requires steps the other cannot take.

Last edited:
No one has advised to "flip" the tires inside out. The discussion simply clarified the difference between asymmetrical tread and directional tread. The tires being discussed, AFAIK, are asymmetrical.

Asymmetrical tires are designed to enhance traction, handling, and cornering capabilities while reducing noise. These tires are often found on sport performance vehicles. The tires can rotate in either direction when mounted with the correct side facing out, as indicated on the tire sidewall."

So if my rear Pirelli P Zero 275/35/21 tires are mostly wearing out on the inside half; What’s the logical thing to do to correct the problem? No difference if I switch them because like you said; The indicated “outside” position must be kept..

In almost all vehicles there is a built in adjustable tie rod arm mechanism to correct Toe and Camber according to specifications to properly correct the tire wear. A good wheel alignment machine will indicate the tire wear and angle tilt.

I know Teslas have all the latest technology and while one can ask to turn A/C on or off and other commands; We cannot ask to straighten out the tire wear and adjust the Camber because there is no real camber adjustment .

If anyone cares or wants to correct that problem, look into buying an adjustable rear Camber arm kit 🤷🏻‍♂️ not a complicated problem to fix.

So if my rear Pirelli P Zero 275/35/21 tires are mostly wearing out on the inside half; What’s the logical thing to do to correct the problem? No difference if I switch them because like you said; The indicated “outside” position must be kept..

In almost all vehicles there is a built in adjustable tie rod arm mechanism to correct Toe and Camber according to specifications to properly correct the tire wear. A good wheel alignment machine will indicate the tire wear and angle tilt.

I know Teslas have all the latest technology and while one can ask to turn A/C on or off and other commands; We cannot ask to straighten out the tire wear and adjust the Camber because there is no real camber adjustment .

If anyone cares or wants to correct that problem, look into buying an adjustable rear Camber arm kit 🤷🏻‍♂️ not a complicated problem to fix.
IMG_6675.jpeg
IMG_6674.jpeg
IMG_6676.jpeg