Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rear brake pads wearing quickly

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
SR+. I had my tires rotated a couple days ago. I’m just over 20k miles and the rear brake pads are half worn. The fronts are pretty much new. I drove the LR RWD for 18 months and the brakes were almost new when I had twice the mileage as this SR+. My driving style has not changed.
The variables could only be:
less regen on the SR+

hold vs creep mode because I didn’t
use hold on the LR or

autopilot because I didn’t have it on the LR.

Anyone have any guesses as to which is most likely eating up the rear pads?

SR+. I had my tires rotated a couple days ago. I’m just over 20k miles and the rear brake pads are half worn. The fronts are pretty much new. I drove the LR RWD for 18 months and the brakes were almost new when I had twice the mileage as this SR+. My driving style has not changed.
The variables could only be:
less regen on the SR+

hold vs creep mode because I didn’t
use hold on the LR or

autopilot because I didn’t have it on the LR.

Anyone have any guesses as to which is most likely eating up the rear pads?

Do you see any difference in the appearance between the front and the rear rotors? I know there's supposed to be a little spring that holds the pad just a fraction of a millimeter off the rotor to improve the cars efficiency. If those Springs are broken your efficiency can really drop and you should see that in your consumption but also would mean your rear pads might go more quickly. A Tesla service technician could confirm or give you some kind of diagnosis. There's obviously something wrong.

One thing to check is to make sure the calipers are sliding freely on their slide pins. That would cause excess wear, and that's why cleaning and greasing the slide pins are a routine service item on these cars.

It's also possible that the factory forgot to grease the pins, because you know, they forget to do a lot of things ;)

Last edited:
One thing to check is to make sure the calipers are sliding freely on their slide pins. That would cause excess wear, and that's why cleaning and greasing the slide pins are a routine service item on these cars.

It's also possible that the factory forgot to grease the pins, because you know, they forget to do a lot of things ;)
I would check if the wheels were rotating freely when the car is raised and in Neutral or Towing mode.