Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rear camera still displayed when shifting from reverse to drive.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is a cool feature as far as I am concerned, not a bug. I’m on version 2019.32.2.1, but the feature may well have been present for years and I just noticed it.

Normally, when I switch from reverse to drive, the rear camera display immediately disappears. However, when driving forwards into my garage, I have found that when I put the car it reverse as a quick way to display the rear camera to check if I have pulled in far enough, the camera stays displayed when I put it back in drive. This is very convenient as I can watch the camera image as I pull in the last few inches.

I’ve played around doing the same operations at other locations like parking in a parking lot and the camera image immediately disappears when I switch to drive. My best guess is that either because I use homelink or the car knows where my home is, that this feature of continuing to show the rear camera occurs and it is a feature purposely coded in the software by a great Tesla software engineer.

I only noticed this after 4 years of Tesla ownership because I normally back into the garage and on the rare occasions that I pull in forward, I have used the touchscreen to manually turn on the rear camera. Switching to reverse and back to drive is much easier.

I’m posting this both to let others know of this cool undocumented feature and to praise Tesla for their marvelous engineering and attention to details. I would be interested to know if this feature works for other people.

This is a cool feature as far as I am concerned, not a bug. I’m on version 2019.32.2.1, but the feature may well have been present for years and I just noticed it.

Normally, when I switch from reverse to drive, the rear camera display immediately disappears. However, when driving forwards into my garage, I have found that when I put the car it reverse as a quick way to display the rear camera to check if I have pulled in far enough, the camera stays displayed when I put it back in drive. This is very convenient as I can watch the camera image as I pull in the last few inches.

I’ve played around doing the same operations at other locations like parking in a parking lot and the camera image immediately disappears when I switch to drive. My best guess is that either because I use homelink or the car knows where my home is, that this feature of continuing to show the rear camera occurs and it is a feature purposely coded in the software by a great Tesla software engineer.

I only noticed this after 4 years of Tesla ownership because I normally back into the garage and on the rare occasions that I pull in forward, I have used the touchscreen to manually turn on the rear camera. Switching to reverse and back to drive is much easier.

I’m posting this both to let others know of this cool undocumented feature and to praise Tesla for their marvelous engineering and attention to details. I would be interested to know if this feature works for other people.

Yes. The disappearance of the camera (and parking sensor visuals) is speed related if there are sensor hits, not direction related, which is actually a very common way of solving this in many brands of cars as it allows parking maneuvering.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: motocoder
Just to clarify: It is speed and parking sensor related. So you have to be both driving slow and be getting parking sensor hits for this to happen. Mercedes has a pretty similar system.

This is why being pulled in enough into the garage helped as it was providing parking sensor hits.

• Informative
Reactions: motocoder