Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2023 Y 2300 miles - no cameras, autopilot or gps

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
OP update: It's been over 2 weeks since Tesla replaced the autopilot computer and I haven't had any repeats of failed cameras, stuck GPS, auto headlights going on and off, etc as reported when this thread started. I'm calling the issue solved but will reopen this thread if the issue reoccurs.

What I learned:
  • Tesla misdiagnosed the issue as a software problem multiple times, promising that it would be fixed with software. This was either incompetence or purposeful to avoid fixing the vehicle. The outcome was that I had to live with the issues for months.
  • I uploaded many videos of the issue occurring and they would say they were received and used for diagnosis. I spoke to Tesla reps and described the issues and impacts and they confirmed that the vehicle logs were showing failures when i reported them. However, whenever a service appoint was coming up, they would ask for proof like I hadn't provided it many times before.
  • After multiple cases and closed service appointments without fixing the vehicle, I had to make repeated comments to Tesla that they had to fix the vehicle or replace it as backup cameras are required by law. I did not threaten lemon law, but that would be a natural next step. This prompted action and they finally replaced the computer hardware, resolving the issues completely.
  • I'm glad the vehicle is fixed, but I'm left disappointed at how Tesla handled the issue. I will keep this in mind for my next vehicle purchase. In many years of my new cars, only chrysler provided worse customer service. Chevrolet, Infiniti, Nissan, Subaru, Suzuki all did better when those vehicles required service.
I am recommending all my family & friends to NOT buy a Tesla due to what I've experienced from their QC, rattles, panel gaps, ongoing "Park Assist, Cruise Control, AEB, Lane Assist Not Available" errors, putting a scratch on my new car when it was at the SC. GPS & Cameras have been stable for last 3 weeks after AP module replaced.

I am recommending all my family & friends to NOT buy a Tesla due to what I've experienced from their QC, rattles, panel gaps, ongoing "Park Assist, Cruise Control, AEB, Lane Assist Not Available" errors, putting a scratch on my new car when it was at the SC. GPS & Cameras have been stable for last 3 weeks after AP module replaced.
Can't say that I blame you. Unfortunately, I don't think the quality issues are gonna get fixed within about the next 5 years or so. Elon has zero incentive to spend money on these issues in the US at the moment. However, it seems the Chinese BEV manufacturers are more rapidly closing the gap so he will have to address quality in China sooner if those companies start to bring their A game. Hopefully, he can take the lessons learned there and start applying them here, but I wouldn't hold your breath.

Reactions: AndroidFreak
Can't say that I blame you. Unfortunately, I don't think the quality issues are gonna get fixed within about the next 5 years or so. Elon has zero incentive to spend money on these issues in the US at the moment. However, it seems the Chinese BEV manufacturers are more rapidly closing the gap so he will have to address quality in China sooner if those companies start to bring their A game. Hopefully, he can take the lessons learned there and start applying them here, but I wouldn't hold your breath.
I'm hoping Warren Buffet's BYD builds a factory in Mexico so we can get the Seal into the U.S. The cabin puts the M3 to shame.

Just another perspective….

I am sorry for the OP’s issues but my May 2022 MYP has been almost flawless. It has 2 minor paint defects that are so obscure I did not see them until I had the car for 3 weeks (I am very picky and I previously looked very closely ). It has never been in the shop although Mobile Service came to my house when I had the tires rotated.

My earlier Teslas did have issues (MCU’s and a battery heater) but the service centers generally did a good job taking care of me.

Last Friday on my 2018 M3LR, I noticed that the navigation (doesn't show current position) and cameras stopped working. Car drives fine as well as remote access via the app. When driving, shows speed, but nothing around the car.

I have tried a soft and hard reset, no changes. Scheduled a mobile service appointment.

Anything else I can try?

Last Friday on my 2018 M3LR, I noticed that the navigation (doesn't show current position) and cameras stopped working. Car drives fine as well as remote access via the app. When driving, shows speed, but nothing around the car.

I have tried a soft and hard reset, no changes. Scheduled a mobile service appointment.

Anything else I can try?
What firmware is your car running?