Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rear Console

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

SMAlset

Mar 4, 2017
SF Bay Area
I believe the rear console kind of floats above the horizontal back seat portion when it's pulled down for use. Every picture I've seen of it looks like it's raised above the seat including in the Model 3 manual that was just linked to in another forum thread. Does anyone think this will be a problem due to stress on it from not sitting flat on the seat portion?

I believe the rear console kind of floats above the horizontal back seat portion when it's pulled down for use. Every picture I've seen of it looks like it's raised above the seat including in the Model 3 manual that was just linked to in another forum thread. Does anyone think this will be a problem due to stress on it from not sitting flat on the seat portion?

Just to be clear your talking about the rear fold down armrest?

I'm sure Tesla is competent enough to design a fold down arm rest.

Just to be clear your talking about the rear fold down armrest?

Yes.

I'm sure Tesla is competent enough to design a fold down arm rest.

Okay... Sometimes features like an arm rest can be problematic even if they came from Tesla and aren't as complicated as falcon winged doors. I asked the question because I recall some discussions on here about a rear seat arm rest/storage area/cupholder accessory Tesla sold for the Model S that matched the interior leather and finish of the cars so people could add it to their rear seat area. Think it ran maybe $600 or so. They had problems with the fold down arm rest portion breaking, people reporting even from light use, and they replaced many units only to have the replacements break as well. They ended up discontinuing it. That accessory layed flat on the seat, not suspended like the one in the Model 3 will be (we do have a Model 3 on order BTW so I asked as a future owner). This model is sure to have lots of family use with kids in the back seat who probably will be rougher on the arm rest than adults would be.

Last edited:
Yes.

Okay... Sometimes features like an arm rest can be problematic even if they came from Tesla and aren't as complicated as falcon winged doors. I asked the question because I recall some discussions on here about a rear seat arm rest/storage area/cupholder accessory Tesla sold for the Model S that matched the interior leather and finish of the cars so people could add it to their rear seat area. Think it ran maybe $600 or so. They had problems with the fold down arm rest portion breaking, people reporting even from light use, and they replaced many units only to have the replacements break as well. They ended up discontinuing it. That accessory layed flat on the seat, not suspended like the one in the Model 3 will be (we do have a Model 3 on order BTW so I asked as a future owner). This model is sure to have lots of family use with kids in the back seat who probably will be rougher on the arm rest than adults would be.

The fold down on the M3 is very similar to my Ford Escape in that it folds down horizontal and is unsupported underneath. Mine is well mounted and very secure in the down position. Hopefully the 3’s is as well.

• Informative
Reactions: SMAlset
Yes.

That arm rest design was completely different. Nothing ever folded down, it was just a "console" that sat on the seat and had strap that attached it to the seat back. The part that had issues was the plastic rear hinge on the flip-up cover. I'm sure the design in itself was fine, but material choice in the type of plastic did make it more susceptible to damage. Also we don't know if Tesla was even the one that designed it. It could have been designed by another company.

I would not use that design and experience to correlate to the 3 arm rest design.

Review: Tesla Model S Premium Rear Console

Last edited:
Reactions: Jimmy 1