Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rear doors water leak

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
'Premium' door seals or mouldings should not need to be changed after four years.
Do they not understand that these insane spare parts prices for simple stuff will guarantee buyers do not return.
Leaking doors I would expect on a 20 year old car exposed to UV all day with deteriorating rubbers etc.

Do they not understand that these insane spare parts prices for simple stuff will guarantee buyers do not return.

Tell that to those of us who repeatedly bought German cars, the ultimate abusive relationship. Yeah we'd all whine about how the stupid krautfrobulator shouldn't need replacement so soon let alone at such a cost, but we'd pay it, and then buy another car from the same company a little further along in time.

Personally, I would not be willing to own a Model S out of warranty, and I'm not sure if I'll keep my Model 3 past the ~40,000 mile mark either… but I'm still probably buying another Tesla next.

Yeah I am in the same boat, I usually do not keep a car outside of its warranty period. We have a BMW in our fleet at home and that won't be stay a day over its warranty expiry, I know how bad they can be as I've had a friend with what seemed like a cheap Audi get stung big time.
But back to the original post, $1,500 for a couple of chrome strips, they must have been embarrassed to say that.

I think that is what bugs me about Tesla is the ridiculous cost to repair things that normally you shouldn't have to for a vehicle less than 5 years old. 8 years or 10 years, I can see. I park my car in the garage 75% of the time. It's at home in the garage. It's at work in the garage. I read on forums of things people having to pay to fix. Yes, you save gas. Yes you save on oil change. But at the end of the day, these prices are crazy.

Reactions: P100D_Me
Yes but it took 2 attempts.
I basically had to remove the chrome strip and completely run a bead of sealant front to back on the body - then refit.

After 24 hours I water tested and so far so good :)

I am taking mine back to the SC for a 2nd attempt as well. They fixed I would say 90% of it, still a small gap with very little dripping.

To remove it, you had to remove both the front and back door seal and unscrew?

The chrome trim is a single piece and is likely to break, im curious if half that price is the "we're not capable of removing it without breaking it so you're just gonna pay for a new one"

It just an excuse for them to be careless. At the end, bad design. It's one thing to be unconventional and innovative, but it comes at a price. Norms come with years of refining.

When our Model S had the rear triangular window smashed, Service had to take off the entire chrome trim because it was installed as one piece. This was back in Summer 2017. Was a costly repair and I think the trim repair was much more than the glass itself, labor being a part of it too. Seem to recall after cleaning it, reapplying the sealant and the trim, it needed to cure, so not a quick job exactly. Think our cost was similar or in the ball park of what's been mentioned.