Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rear Drive Unit Failed

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My Rear Drive Unit failed yesterday morning. Was parked in the garage went to start the vehicle and started getting the same symptoms as Others described.
Vin is in the 4xxx
2018 Model 3 P+
Q4 Delivery October
32,000 miles

Towed into Tesla still waiting on a reply.

Update : Car is fixed. I pick it up tomorrow.
They ended up changing the pyro fuse, inverter only, and 12v battery, according to the invoice. They wouldn't do the alignment due me having MPP camber and toe arms.

Just had the rear drive unit replaced on my Jun 2018 RWD with 27,000 km. Got following warning:

View attachment 586113

We were headed out for shopping trip and wife was uncomfortable with this so we went home and got the Escape. Booked a service appointment and went for 8am today. They gave me an S P90D with ludicrous :) in password protected CHILL mode :(((
Found out at 10am that they had to replace the RDU. Got a text at 16:30pm it was ready for pickup. From diagnosis to R&R in one day! Impressed.

I had same, same, replaced RDU!
there’s a thread dedicated to
“may be unable to restart!”

Yep, these are the main items. Also a few misc. related bolts, labels, grounding wire.

DISCONNECT,BATTERY,PYRO(1064689-00-I) 1.0

ASY,12V BATT AND VENT PLUG,M3(1129182-00-B) 1.0

ASY, DRIVE INV, 3DU, 810A, SIC, REAR(1079924-15-H) 1.0

Thanks. That's the only inverter listed for the RDU on the 3 and Y in the catalog that I can find. Not sure what the 990 uses, but this has to be for the 980.

Yes. Here’s the RDU part number:

ASY,3DUR,MOSFET-HC(1120980-00-G)

Other RDU’s around my 30,000 VIN WERE 00-C

Thanks. Yes, there seem to be several revisions of the 980. Would love to know what the differences are.

Yeah, but that's not the marketing or what's on the banners of the fanboys. What you hear is that there's so many less moving parts in a Tesla, that they are more reliable by that fact alone, and the car will last a million miles.

But then you have to make excuses that it's relatively new tech.

I am ok with what it actually is, but what I hate are the lies.

By the way, the electric motor has been around longer than the ICE, and many of the first cars were electric, so your argument that ICE motors have had more time to be perfected is another one of the lies.

ICE cars never have lemons. I don't even know why they have lemon laws.

They really should be though, far fewer mechanical failure points. The only reason you might see less reliability now is because EV's are still new tech in the early stages of development. Plus Tesla tends to push hard and at times allows QC to slip unfortunately.

The reason that's not true is that the ICE engine and transmission have become so reliable and maintenance free (just quick engine oil changes once a year for first 100K miles for almost all new cars). Plus EV's have all the same things that are more likely to fail on an ICE: Electronic units, suspension, climate control, brakes, electric seats, electric mirrors, electric windows, heated seats, wipers, lights, screens, etc. Tesla doesn't have the best rep for reliability in these areas compared to say Toyota or Honda.

And ICE oil changes in the last 10 years have become something you can do in your driveway in minutes while wearing a white 3 piece suit without getting your suit dirty (many cars, you now suck the oil out of the top, and the oil filter is easy to reach on top of the engine, and placed upside down so it's drained of messy oil by the time you pull it).

Then you add in that Elon has had a lot of DU failures, and you just don't have a more reliable car. Plus any issue with a DU requires a full replacement, and Tesla is playing Apple with parts and repairs (watch the Rich Rebuilds to see my point), add in that a new DU costs as much as an ICE engine, and you are going to pray for ICE oil changes once your drive unit fails outside the 100K/125K mile warranty.

The "EV's have so many fewer moving parts to fail, so they are more reliable" is a pure marketing lie from Tesla.

Last edited:
The "EV's have so many fewer moving parts to fail, so they are more reliable" is a pure marketing lie from Tesla.
It's not, it's the reality of the architecture. You're comparing a 100+ year old established industry to a brand new one. Not only is Tesla developing new technology they are refining the methods to build it in volume. You're also trying to pretend that ICE engines don't ever have early and expensive failures when that's not even close to reality, not to mention all the associated systems such as pollution controls, exhaust systems, belts and pulleys. As someone who always changes their own oil and does their own repairs I can safely say that your characterization of an oil change is equally divorced from reality for most vehicles. Additionally I'll point out that even as a new manufacturer Tesla already has higher reliability ratings than some long established ICE OEMs.

"Tesla placed 11th out of the 33 brands in Consumer Reports' 2020 ranking of automotive brands, rising eight spots from 2019.v"
Tesla just bested Toyota, Volkswagen, and Lincoln to become one of drivers' favorite brands

That's a popularity contest, not a reliability contest. Land Rover used to have the #1 spot for happy customers, but it was never near the top for reliability.

You seem to be the one completely divorced from reality.

And what does 100 years of establishment have to do with anything. We are talking about the reliability proposition today. Whatever the excuse, it's just an excuse. Remember that electric motors have been in major production for a long long time. Longer than the ICE. They are even used to power trains. So that's just not a good excuse, sorry.

And no one said that ICE engines are 100% perfectly reliable and never fail. They do. But so does Tesla's drive units, never mind their expensive batteries. And if Tesla said their cars were around the same reliability of an ICE, I would give them a pass. It's absolutely ridiculous to claim their cars are more reliable than the average ICE. Ridiculous.

And by the way, I do all my maintenance and repairs on my cars for 30 years, including high-end European exotics, stretched limos, SUVs, etc, and I have a real engineering degree from a top private university, so you can take it to the bank that I know more about cars than you. Way more.

Last edited:
That's a popularity contest, not a reliability contest. Land Rover used to have the #1 spot for happy customers, but it was never near the top for reliability.

You seem to be the one completely divorced from reality.

And what does 100 years of establishment have to do with anything. We are talking about the reliability proposition today. Whatever the excuse, it's just an excuse. Remember that electric motors have been in major production for a long long time. Longer than the ICE. They are even used to power trains. So that's just not a good excuse, sorry.

And no one said that ICE engines are 100% perfectly reliable and never fail. They do. But so does Tesla's drive units, never mind their expensive batteries. And if Tesla said their cars were around the same reliability of an ICE, I would give them a pass. It's absolutely ridiculous to claim their cars are more reliable than the average ICE. Ridiculous.

And by the way, I do all my maintenance and repairs on my cars for 30 years, including high-end European exotics, stretched limos, SUVs, etc, and I have a real engineering degree from a top private university, so you can take it to the bank that I know more about cars than you. Way more.

I don't think EV are more reliable right now nor do I think they are less reliable. Who knows what the future holds.

2008 Evo X . Failed SST
2012 Audi A7 Failed thermostat
2016 Bmw M4 Failed turbos seals.
2018 Tesla Model 3 Failed inverter

It must be nice to throw around your engineering degree in an online argument yet provide no real data. In the end of the day its just your opinion. Chill out

It's not, it's the reality of the architecture. You're comparing a 100+ year old established industry to a brand new one. Not only is Tesla developing new technology they are refining the methods to build it in volume. You're also trying to pretend that ICE engines don't ever have early and expensive failures when that's not even close to reality, not to mention all the associated systems such as pollution controls, exhaust systems, belts and pulleys. As someone who always changes their own oil and does their own repairs I can safely say that your characterization of an oil change is equally divorced from reality for most vehicles. Additionally I'll point out that even as a new manufacturer Tesla already has higher reliability ratings than some long established ICE OEMs.

"Tesla placed 11th out of the 33 brands in Consumer Reports' 2020 ranking of automotive brands, rising eight spots from 2019.v"
Tesla just bested Toyota, Volkswagen, and Lincoln to become one of drivers' favorite brands

I'm sure it may have the potential to be more reliable and most new companies do have growing pains. Less moving parts don't always mean less failures. Look at the case of Mazda's rotary engine. Solid state electronics can fail also and Tesla has a lot more of that then ICE cars.

Reactions: cwerdna
That's a popularity contest, not a reliability contest.

"Each brand's score is based on crash-test results, surveys about reliability and owner satisfaction, and Consumer Reports' vehicle tests. Tesla placed first in the most recent owner-satisfaction survey, 23rd out of 30 in the most recent reliability survey, and received an average road-test score of 85 out of 100 points."

That means Tesla was more reliable than 7 other ICE OEM's.

Whatever the excuse, it's just an excuse. Remember that electric motors have been in major production for a long long time. Longer than the ICE. They are even used to power trains. So that's just not a good excuse, sorry.
Sorry but high powered high frequency computer controlled switching inverters are new, as are lithium ion batteries and their management systems. Maybe you know more about cars than I do but you seem to know less about EVs.

Less moving parts = easier to diagnose, easier to repair. Right now ,there are issues to iron out, but once they are worked out, the advantage of a much simpler drivetrain / powertrain design will quickly materialize. And no, the whole DU does not necessarily need to be replaced as evidenced in this thread. It's probably easier for some dealers to simply swap them out. But every DU is fixable.