Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rear Drive Unit Failure on my new Model Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a Model Y that is only 3 months old and I was in rural northern CA last week when my car died. They towed it away and I've been told it is the rear drive unit the has been detected as having failure. They will replace when a new one comes in in a few weeks. Any advice on what to look for or expect when i get back my car? I'm hoping this will be the end of it and also hope they will deliver my car since I'm 400 miles from home and can't take more time off work to retrieve my new car. Any input is greatly appreciated

I have a Model Y that is only 3 months old and I was in rural northern CA last week when my car died. They towed it away and I've been told it is the rear drive unit the has been detected as having failure. They will replace when a new one comes in in a few weeks. Any advice on what to look for or expect when i get back my car? I'm hoping this will be the end of it and also hope they will deliver my car since I'm 400 miles from home and can't take more time off work to retrieve my new car. Any input is greatly appreciated
how did it act before shutting down. I had mine shut down today. But I was able to get going again after getting out and back in the car. I thought I had blown a tire but nope it just moved like I had a blowout and stopped

Tesla should provide you with a Tesla loaner vehicle or a rental voucher, not Uber credits.

Tesla should agree to transport your Tesla Model Y to your local Tesla Service Center either before or after the needed repair has been completed.

If the battery pack must be removed to replace the rear drive unit make sure that Tesla Service correctly re-installs the Battery Penthouse Perimeter Seal after replacing the drive unit. Also, there is a ground connection for the rear drive unit that needs to be properly connected, torqued. If these components are not correctly installed there will likely be excessive noise from the rear drive unit audible from inside the passenger cabin.

Tesla should provide you with a Tesla loaner vehicle or a rental voucher, not Uber credits.

Tesla should agree to transport your Tesla Model Y to your local Tesla Service Center either before or after the needed repair has been completed.

If the battery pack must be removed to replace the rear drive unit make sure that Tesla Service correctly re-installs the Battery Penthouse Perimeter Seal after replacing the drive unit. Also, there is a ground connection for the rear drive unit that needs to be properly connected, torqued. If these components are not correctly installed there will likely be excessive noise from the rear drive unit audible from inside the passenger cabin.
THANKS FOR THE INFO

how did it act before shutting down. I had mine shut down today. But I was able to get going again after getting out and back in the car. I thought I had blown a tire but nope it just moved like I had a blowout and stopped
the tires locked up strangely and i got instant alerts to stop driving, electrical power may not support driving, etc. it just died and they couldn't get it back running.

it was like i had a blowout and then lights started blinking saying pull over it was not safe to drive and electrical power could not sustain driving. it froze I couldn't;t do anything at all. Its now 3 weeks later and I know next to nothing. Not happy with the customer service at all

• Informative
Reactions: AquaY
Wow, that sucks

Good Luck.
i hope they fix it
it was like i had a blowout and then lights started blinking saying pull over it was not safe to drive and electrical power could not sustain driving. it froze I couldn't;t do anything at all. Its now 3 weeks later and I know next to nothing. Not happy with the customer service at all
Hello,

is your driveunit already replaced?
I had the same problem 4 weeks ago.

Had the same problem, no sounds but had an alert show up on my screen, when my car suddenly went down to 37mhp while on the freeway… really dangerous…
We were able to get to a clear street and forge cad would not run properly.
I called Tesla and they told me to bring it to the service center on the next available timeframe, and I told them there is no way I was going to be driving around intersections and freeways T 37 mph with a faulty motor, I eventually towed the truck using the app, I’m currently waiting 2-3 weeks for the unit to be replaced.
They gave me a loaner for the time being,
LookiNg at all of the posts seems likely that I will not keep this car after the loan is over.
Overall Tesla customer service is pretty bad, delivery, services,etc.
Love the car, hate the customer experience.

Reactions: 240vPlug
Searching for similar experiences led me to this thread..

I took delivery of my Model Y in May 2022, which was made in Fremont. Only 4 months in and 4,800 miles later, my rear drive unit failed. I was driving on the local road going about 25 mph about to get on the freeway when I felt a rumble in the back. I suddenly get error codes DI_a137 Unable to Drive and DI_a063 Vehicle Shutting Down. Within 5 seconds, I'm not able to move at all, blocking the road and entrance to the freeway - super embarrassing!

I call for emergency service through the Tesla app, but I don't hear anything for about 45 minutes, so I took matters into my own hands and called a separate tow truck - paid $130 out of pocket to tow me to the nearest service center. Working on getting it reimbursed from Tesla because the app states, "call emergency if you are in an unsafe location."

The service center was fairly new (SoCal), so they didn't even have a loaner car for me. I got $100 in Uber credits for 4 days instead. It's still in the shop, still no word on when the parts will arrive. Hopefully this is the last time it happens... luckily I didn't enter the freeway which could have been dangerous if it just stopped in the middle.

When I retired in May 2020 I treated ourselves to a new Tesla, we kept a second car (2017 Volt) for a few months then decided we could live with one vehicle so we sold it. Fast forward to a week ago, our 7 day old 2022 MYP wouldn’t power on, car was towed to local SCer on Aug 31st. By late afternoon the next day (Friday) I get the call saying they found the problem “a bad wiring harness” and while they didn’t have one they located one in Chicago who was going to overnight it to St Louis, but of course Tesla is closed on Sat/Sun, they were open on Monday (Labor Day) but FedEx wasn’t delivering (Long story). So everyone expects the part on Tues and my car back later in the day. Late Tues my app shows a new completion date for the next day Wed the 7th. Wednesday same thing, new ETIC is now Thursday, so I call and find out FedEx are dicks. One of the techs drives to the main delivery center and picks up the part. They bust butt and I get my car at 5:20 pm Thursday (yesterday). Technically my car was down 8+ days. I did get a loaner on day 2.

So long story short we are rethinking the ONE CAR strategy given Tesla’s lengthy service times. Not every SCer has loaners and FTR my SCer in St Louis moved heaven and earth to get my car repaired, but a weekend and holiday and shitty service by FedEX added 5 days to maybe a 3 day job. I’ll be posting a separate thread about this with part numbers and FedEx.

Searching for similar experiences led me to this thread..
Also try here:

My 2021 MYLR had a rear drive failure in the middle of Yosemite Park Sunday Oct 2nd, 2022. 80% charge, level ground and 35 mph. Warning of rear drive failure and that the car was shutting down and to pull over........gave me about 100 yards before rear end started clunking and power was cut. Leaving car and re-entering did not help as was suggested. Was able to push the car to a safe spot while "TOW" mode was engaged. Tesla was called and towed to nearest Service Center in Fresno (3.5 hr from my home) rather than Stockton (1 hour from my home). Telsa said they always tow to the nearest. If i wanted it towed to a different Service Center, I would have to pay the charges. Overnight in Fresno, Tuesday (day 3) day I was told that it was the rear drive inverter that needed replacing. There is Service Bulletin 20-40-003 addressing this issue of the inverter not going through internal reliability testing. Advised of 3 days to get the part and a couple of days to schedule installation. Hopefully will get my car back within a week or 10 days. Fingers crossed. Oh, they did locate a Model S for me as a loaner.