Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rear Drive Unit Failure on my new Model Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My 2021 MY has 33k miles and was today diagnosed as having a rear drive unit failure. No big bangs or clunks just a whirring sound that increased with speed, sounding like an impeller with a bad bearing or something. Technician said it's a multi day repair.

I took delivery of my new Model Y on Feb 28, 2023.
While heading home from the delivery spot, it broke down suddenly. It was a scary experience when the car was middle lane of the highway and was cruising 65 mph. Suddenly car slowed down to 20 mph in the middle lane; while everyone is cruising above 65 mph. A trailer truck almost hit me from behind and I heard the sound of tires (emergency brakes). Finally, I pulled over the car to the emergency lane and then the car was inoperable. Tesla technicians tried over the phone all options to reset; however everything was failing. Finally, car was towed to a nearby Tesla service center.
…Service center gave me a loaner and advised me that they will have to keep the car for further diagnosis.
Today (March 8, 2023), Tesla called me and advised me that car will be ready to pick up by late afternoon today. Tesla also advised me that they had to replace the rear drive unit.
I just googled the price of the rear drive unit; it is over $9k. I hope it doesn’t happen again after the warranty expires.
….Overall it was an awful experience for me; because everyone at home was waiting for the new car on Feb 28 (it was family special event). But the car was unable to reach home that day.
….Lastly, I hope it will never happen again on a highway.

My 2021 MY has 33k miles and was today diagnosed as having a rear drive unit failure. No big bangs or clunks just a whirring sound that increased with speed, sounding like an impeller with a bad bearing or something. Technician said it's a multi day repair.
Hello-Hoping to hear how your repair went last year and if you have had any issues since? I just brought my 21MY with 33k miles in to service as it was making the same kind of whirring sound as yours and they diagnosed it as needing a new rear drive unit as well. Said the part should be in at the end of the week and I should be able to pickup again next week. While I am happy it is under warranty, I am also nervous as to why it went and what to look for at pickup to ensure they put everything back together right. TY.