Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rear Ended Monday

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
New owner here, 2 months in.... I was rear ended by a commercial vehicle Monday, the company that owns the truck called me on Tuesday to take car and get quote to repair and they would just pay the repairs to bbody shop... no rental, no reimbursements, loss of use, diminished value etc... needless to say I declined and called their insurance to file claim.

I called Claim Adjuster on Wed, but she said nothing can be done until they get report from the company and driver to see who is at fault etc.

Car is not drive able, Tesla cannot get into the car remotely. I am paying the tow and storage fees to get it to Authorized shop today or tomorrow to get looked at asap, I will look to recoup those costs.

Anyone know how long I have to wait for company to give them their side of story before I might have to look at other options?

If the car is repairable I have to go thru their insurance anyway for diminished value, reasonable rental car etc.. if it's a total loss then perhaps file with my insurance and let them go after monies and the 500 deductible if they drag their feet.

Oh and I am fine so far, sore and bruises from the seatbelt, no airbag deployment. Already checked out at Hospital and my Dr.

Pics here....
That is pretty bad. I predict total loss for this one. Sorry this happened to you, but on the plus side, it’ll be hard to deny they are at fault. Hopefully you pulled the video off your USB to help push them along.

Last edited:
Regarding rental car. If you have rental car coverage contact your insurance asap. In my case with my current claim (not at fault), I have state farm (my insurance) and they authorized and arranged a Hertz rental same day. Hertz direct billed state farm. State farm has very low negotiated rates with Hertz. Good luck.

Reactions: pianoman8t8
New owner here, 2 months in.... I was rear ended by a commercial vehicle Monday, the company that owns the truck called me on Tuesday to take car and get quote to repair and they would just pay the repairs to bbody shop... no rental, no reimbursements, loss of use, diminished value etc... needless to say I declined and called their insurance to file claim.

I called Claim Adjuster on Wed, but she said nothing can be done until they get report from the company and driver to see who is at fault etc.

Car is not drive able, Tesla cannot get into the car remotely. I am paying the tow and storage fees to get it to Authorized shop today or tomorrow to get looked at asap, I will look to recoup those costs.

Anyone know how long I have to wait for company to give them their side of story before I might have to look at other options?

If the car is repairable I have to go thru their insurance anyway for diminished value, reasonable rental car etc.. if it's a total loss then perhaps file with my insurance and let them go after monies and the 500 deductible if they drag their feet.

Oh and I am fine so far, sore and bruises from the seatbelt, no airbag deployment. Already checked out at Hospital and my Dr.

Pics here....

View attachment 418860 View attachment 418861

Sorry to hear you got rear ended...hopefully it works out.... I just got hit in the right rear corner last Tuesday morning and the other person didn’t stop they just took off...and now I’m going though the slow motion with the insurance company parts availability from Tesla.... I’m glad your video footage was live in The front/sides.... and your ok... which is probably the most important thing here....

This brings up a question that I have been harping on in the forums... why isn’t the rear camera recording while driving??? which seems like 80% of the Tesla get rear ended...justmy2cents!

I think the big issue here is probably most of us have learned to drive without applying the brake until the last 6 or 8 feet before we stop. At least that is my problem and I always look in the rear view mirror to see if the person behind me is closing in to fast. With the regentative braking we slow down so quickly the brakes don't get used much and therefore our brake lights and third brake light don't come on to warn everyone behind us we are stopping and/or slowing down like our ICE cars.

I’m going through this right now actually and yes, you should’ve contacted your insurance immediately vs waiting on theirs. You’ll have to pay your deductible upfront if you file the claim through yours but you for sure want to get it started immediately. Mine has been in for repairs for a month now (ugh) I truly hate having to drive an ICE again. Tesla has completely changed my driving experience and it took a couple of weeks to even feel comfortable again in an ICE because it’s a completely different driving experience as all of you or most of you here know.

Part of my issue was though the the originally Tesla approved body shop sat on it for 2.5 weeks without touching it!!! I was pissed and had it towed to the other shop who has now done a whole hell of a lot more in less time than the other shop in a greater period of time. Anyways, I believe they have most of my parts at the moment but they are having to wait for some of them such as the seat belt and the airbag because they are out of stock or something. According to my body shop today they should be available for my MS the first week of July :’( which means that I won’t have my MS on my trip to Florida which I was truly looking forward to as my first long distance trip (roughly 1,000 miles one way) in my Tesla.

Anyways, good luck on your repairs. Mine didn’t look nearly that bad and is $19,000 worth of damage.

Also go after them for absolutely everything you can, diminishes value, if it’s only a couple months old and is a total loss hopefully they’ll just buy you a new car without fuss but I’m sure you’ll end up having a lot of headaches over the entire process.

I truly do feel your pain at the moment. Good luck!

• Helpful
Reactions: hcw0818 and OPRCE
I think the big issue here is probably most of us have learned to drive without applying the brake until the last 6 or 8 feet before we stop. At least that is my problem and I always look in the rear view mirror to see if the person behind me is closing in to fast. With the regentative braking we slow down so quickly the brakes don't get used much and therefore our brake lights and third brake light don't come on to warn everyone behind us we are stopping and/or slowing down like our ICE cars.
All of the brake lights come on when using regenerative breaking. There are sensors that determine the amount of regen and then the brake lights come on. You can see this on the display.

Your brake lights turn on during regen braking as well, not just when you push the brake pedal.

Reactions: Jeff Hudson
Ok convinced and calling my Agent! Thanks people.

To answer questions.

Yes have dashcam footage
The start shows me passing the truck and changing lanes, the end is him hitting me.

Front cam shows narrowly missing the truck in front. Video starts at 10 seconds.

Yes the 2 HP Monitors made it also had a HP Computer back there and all is well.

I hope the car is totaled, as hard as I was hit firm believer in the safety of the car! but was before anyway,.

Thanks again everyone
I had a rear end hit also looked very similar to your, except it pushed me into the car in front so I had front end damage also... TOTALED by insurance company. Had they not totaled it the repair center said 4 to 5 months for repair.
IMG_2943.jpeg
IMG_2949.jpeg

• Informative
  • Helpful
Reactions: hcw0818 and OPRCE