Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rear Ended Monday

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don't understand how they can flip on all the other cameras but it's too difficult to do it with reverse camera. We can toggle it on and off at will when we drive, so I cannot fathom how or why it wouldn't be possible to record what can be viewed on the screen when driving. It's illogical and without any explanation from Tesla it makes zero sense. The front and rear view cameras would be by far the most helpful in the majority of accidents especially when you get rear ended.
The system on the car is a finite resource, you can't just keep adding additional functions without repercussion. Tesla is using the 2nd GPU on AP2.5 to write the video, thus why AP2.0 doesn't currently do this since AP2.0 only has one GPU.

• Informative
Reactions: alloverx
Why why why does the reverse camera not also record with the other cameras?! It would be a slam dunk case with that footage - makes no sense to me that camera which is arguably the most important in rear end collisions does not record.

Reach out to Tesla for the rear view camera footage/pictures. The car does save all footages from all cameras upon an impact event even if the official dash cam doesn't not record it to the user's USB.

Sounds like the answer will be probably “no” but did you by any chance opted for a New Car Replacement policy thru your insurance or financing bank (assuming you financed)? Not every insurance company has it, which is why I had declined Tesla’s default financing and arranged it instead thru my Credit Union. It cost approximately $400 extra on a $62K M3 but in situations like this the policy will cover the difference between the appraised value of the totaled vehicle at the time of the accident and the original purchase price, which can easily be 5 figures on a high-end Model 3 virtually as soon as you drive out of the Tesla Delivery Center.

I will never buy a new car without this type of coverage. Most lease contracts have this built into the monthly payment, but if you buy nobody--including Tesla--seems to care what happens in these scenarios during the first or even second year of the loan when the buyer is most likely upside down on the loan. The responsibility of the insurance company of the driver at fault extends only to the appraised value of the totaled car, plus any medical expenses up to the coverage limit of his or her policy. Any difference between the outstanding loan amount and the payoff value will be your responsibility unless you are successful in suing the individual for the additional amount. In the meantime you will still owe the remaining payments and the cost of the rental car or other transportation.

The push for convenient 72-month financing options can further extend this upside-down period and associated risk envelope.

Hope for a speedy resolution in your case and best of luck!

• Informative
Reactions: VQTRVA
I don’t know what report they are looking for but you were rear ended which means other driver’s fault. If it were me, I would’ve just contacted my own insurance company after I received the police report and let them sort it out. You have better things to be doing.
I had a similar incident with a previous vehicle and my insurance handled it as if they were paying. This bothered me a bit at first because it appeared that they were finding me at fault but they said that they would have no trouble collecting from the other insurance company. Everything went without a hitch. Keep us updated, I am wondering what you will be reimbursed for it it goes past 30 days. (Normal limit on car rental reimbursement)

Consult with an attorney.

Remember, that if the other driver is at fault (and it appears obvious in this case as you didn't cut them off, and they failed to stop) hence they're liable for ALL damages.

1. Damages to your vehicle. It is known.
2. Diminished value to your vehicle (if not totaled). Who would want to be a vehicle previously wrecked when a better option exists?
3. Damage to stuff in the car. If you're carrying glass beakers, or high end computer equipment, they're going to have to pay.
4. Damage to modifications of the car. If you spent money on fancy components like custom rims or anything that increases the value of the car including wraps.
5. Damage to you. This also includes time that you have to spend away from work going to PT.
6. Rental car. Even if you don't have this on your policy and are forced to rent a car, they caused the accident and not you. No limit and you're not forced to get the smallest option. Like-for-like.

Usually #1 is covered by the insurance policies. But most insurance companies don't want to push 2..6 as they also insure drivers.

Lawyering up will help ensure that you do get everything that is due to you.

And if it came to a court case.

7. Lawyer and administrative fees.

Think about it this way, if you used this vehicle for business (like the commercial truck that hit you), and were forced to find an alternative option to continue making money, would you sue in order to get back everything that is due you, including lost profits? Businesses pay for insurance for vehicles, people (workers comp) and even goods in transport. Why? Because when bad things happen, it's a very costly endeavor to make sure they don't go down when one shipment fails to make it to the destination.

Also, there is no 30-day policy limit for rental cars. That is your reimbursement limit, and if your vehicle needs to be replaced, and it takes 60-days because Tesla is having problems getting you a replacement model ... the person who caused the damage is going to be stuck with that bill as well.

Just for a bit of technical discussion on this... brake lights equals car slowing down rapidly, or brake pedal pressed.... Regen does not explicitly mean brake light activation. During regen, brake light activation is determined by...no one knows...BUT...I and other suspect that it is based on, at least in part by rate of deceleration.

Using the brake light animation as the guide you can see this.

Using reflection from vehicle behind you in stop and go traffic you can empirically see this.

When I first drove a Tesla I was very interested in the brake lights Illuminating during regen. Definitely makes sense. I’ve wondered if hybrids like the Prius also do this...

Disclosure: I am bias based on my experiences with lawyers so take the following with a grain of salt.

Depending on the circumstances, and your overall knowledge of the way insurance and lawyers work, and if you have the time, I would say to pursue it yourself and pocket the $$.

That’s what I do for all my claims and my family and have been pretty successful if you followed my initial post.

Documentation, Time urgency and follow up is key.

Lawyers will take at least 30% of your claim and then your doctor will take a percentage as well.

Not diminishing the value of a lawyer but I’ve been burned enough times and will only get a lawyer when it’s beyond scope which is a rare occurrence.

Remember, that if the other driver is at fault (and it appears obvious in this case as you didn't cut them off, and they failed to stop) hence they're liable for ALL damages.

2. Diminished value to your vehicle (if not totaled). Who would want to be a vehicle previously wrecked when a better option exists?
3. Damage to stuff in the car. If you're carrying glass beakers, or high end computer equipment, they're going to have to pay.
4. Damage to modifications of the car. If you spent money on fancy components like custom rims or anything that increases the value of the car including wraps.
5. Damage to you. This also includes time that you have to spend away from work going to PT.
6. Rental car. Even if you don't have this on your policy and are forced to rent a car, they caused the accident and not you. No limit and you're not forced to get the smallest option. Like-for-like.

Usually #1 is covered by the insurance policies. But most insurance companies don't want to push 2..6 as they also insure drivers.

Think about it this way, if you used this vehicle for business (like the commercial truck that hit you), and were forced to find an alternative option to continue making money, would you sue in order to get back everything that is due you, including lost profits? Businesses pay for insurance for vehicles, people (workers comp) and even goods in transport. Why? Because when bad things happen, it's a very costly endeavor to make sure they don't go down when one shipment fails to make it to the destination.

Also, there is no 30-day policy limit for rental cars. That is your reimbursement limit, and if your vehicle needs to be replaced, and it takes 60-days because Tesla is having problems getting you a replacement model ... the person who caused the damage is going to be stuck with that bill as well.

What a sad state of affairs we’re in when everyone is recommending the OP get an attorney. Not saying y’all are wrong, just unfortunate that’s all.
It’s really sad. Insurance company’s MO is to try to pay as little as possible. Not too surprising, but that’s why we need help from attorneys. I tried to avoid hiring an attorney, but the third party insurance company gave me no other rational choice.

Reactions: P85_DA
I'm so so sorry to hear about your accident. I'm right in the middle of something extremely similar.

Filing a claim with "your" insurance company automatically ensures your rates will go up at the time of renewal.

I filed a claim with the person who hit me. It took them 2 days for the other parties insurance company to contact her.

Secondly....yes.. the insurance company of the truck that hit you does have to contact the driver. The normal amount of time allowed is 10 days.

Good luck with how this turns out.

• Disagree
Reactions: P85_DA and OPRCE
My recollection of when I had a Chevy Volt is that when the car decels at 1G or more, doesn't matter if it's brakes or regen, the brake lights will turn on. That portapotty truck, never slowed until it was too late. It'd be pretty rare for a rear-end collision not be the trailing vehicle's fault. I mean, what would you have to be doing, backing up on the interstate for it to be your fault in a rear-end collision?

When I got the Model 3, I put my old dash cam on the windshield, until Sentry mode came out, and then I moved it to the back for a rearward view. Tesla's solution isn't quite done, until it has a timestamp, GPS data, etc. Would be nice if it could transfer to your phone, like my dashcam over LAN.

Reactions: OPRCE

Thanks for taking the time for such detail. I agree on all that as well as thinking about Loss of usew - I often travel 180 miles round trip for work 2 days a week, and on occasion or special circumstances 3-4 days, one of the perks of The Tesla, no gas... Have to calculate my savings using free charging at work, minimal charging at home vs what I am going to spending again in gas bills-not reimbursed as the deal is I can work from home 3 days a week, only visits to clients are reimbursed at mileage from the Main office.

I wonder if I can claim loss of income from the phone calls dealing with everything including meetings with attorney as you said PT. It is minor but it all adds up and why should I have to take time of work or my employer pay me for being on the phone for personal business. I am not being petty but it makes sense, we bill by the quarter hour so anytime I cannot bill is lost. I don't expect every little thing to be reimbursed but everything clear and concise and documented can at least be more negotiating power. I am sure my lawyer will be on board. Believe me I am saving all my receipts documenting everything just in case.

That car is totaled.

I also recommend getting an attorney. I was in a similar accident over 6 months ago and still having some significant problems from my injuries. It was a headache/sore neck the first week and it went downhill fast from there. Be aware that sometimes injuries to your neck and head can take time to manifest.

Best of luck to you.

Yeah, honestly my neck and back are bothering me more today than the past few days, and I have been told to not settle any medical claims to quick because of exactly what your saying about it taking time to manifest.

Filing a claim with "your" insurance company automatically ensures your rates will go up at the time of renewal.

This is very much not accurate. I’ve had to file claims before with my company for not-at-fault items (you saw my Caddy pic; I was also hit in a parking lot a decade ago) and yet, I still have an “Accident Free 6 or more years” discount. How is that possible if it’s “automatic”? They subrogated my deductible back on my behalf, so it didn’t cost me a thing, either time.

This is very much not accurate. I’ve had to file claims before with my company for not-at-fault items (you saw my Caddy pic; I was also hit in a parking lot a decade ago) and yet, I still have an “Accident Free 6 or more years” discount. How is that possible if it’s “automatic”? They subrogated my deductible back on my behalf, so it didn’t cost me a thing, either time.

Your post is very much not accurate.

Sure...if you were hit a decade ago... sure.....your insurance probably only looks back over the past 3 years for accidents....like mine does.

Your post is very much not accurate.

Sure...if you were hit a decade ago... sure.....your insurance probably only looks back over the past 3 years....mine does.

The most recent Cadillac damage was 2 1/2 years ago. My rates dropped a little the next year. Still shows “Accident free 6 or more years.”

You’re just flat out wrong.

The most recent Cadillac damage was 2 1/2 years ago. My rates dropped a little the next year. Still shows “Accident free 6 or more years.”

You’re just flat out wrong.

Good luck proving that.

You just want to continuously disagree with me in all threads - no matter what I say.

Everyone....please check your insurance company before filing a claim with them when you are NOT at fault.

Ask them about your rate increases.