Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rear Ended Monday

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
New owner here, 2 months in.... I was rear ended by a commercial vehicle Monday, the company that owns the truck called me on Tuesday to take car and get quote to repair and they would just pay the repairs to bbody shop... no rental, no reimbursements, loss of use, diminished value etc... needless to say I declined and called their insurance to file claim.

I called Claim Adjuster on Wed, but she said nothing can be done until they get report from the company and driver to see who is at fault etc.

Car is not drive able, Tesla cannot get into the car remotely. I am paying the tow and storage fees to get it to Authorized shop today or tomorrow to get looked at asap, I will look to recoup those costs.

Anyone know how long I have to wait for company to give them their side of story before I might have to look at other options?

If the car is repairable I have to go thru their insurance anyway for diminished value, reasonable rental car etc.. if it's a total loss then perhaps file with my insurance and let them go after monies and the 500 deductible if they drag their feet.

Oh and I am fine so far, sore and bruises from the seatbelt, no airbag deployment. Already checked out at Hospital and my Dr.

Pics here....

back1.jpg
Back2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree. Just file a claim through your insurance company so they can deal with recouping the costs from the party at fault. Never deal with the other party's insurance because they are only after their own and their client's best interests. Your insurance company works for your own (and their own) interests. You don't even have to speak to the other insurance company. Instead, have them talk to yours so they cannot use your own words against you.

Hopefully, you also have useful dash cam footage that proves the truck was at fault. My M3 was rear ended in a small fender bender a month ago, and I went through my own insurance. Based on my story, they knew the other driver was at fault and I told them I also had dash cam footage as the left repeater camera clearly shows the driver hitting me. My insurance said they didn't need it, but to keep it in my back pocket just in case.

Looks your car will be totaled.

I would do the following:
- Please document every conversation in an email, no verbal telephone calls.
- Create a google drive folder and upload everything there including date stamp photos and police report.
- Contact your insurance company and drop the car off at the body shop and leave it there.
- Get a rental right away.
- Also reach out to a few chiropractors for you and your pertinent passengers. Get treatment ASAP and pay out of pocket. Start documenting loss of work and medical appts. This will pay off in dividends later.

Ok convinced and calling my Agent! Thanks people.

To answer questions.

Yes have dashcam footage
The start shows me passing the truck and changing lanes, the end is him hitting me.

Front cam shows narrowly missing the truck in front. Video starts at 10 seconds.

Yes the 2 HP Monitors made it also had a HP Computer back there and all is well.

I hope the car is totaled, as hard as I was hit firm believer in the safety of the car! but was before anyway,.

Thanks again everyone

Great advice, I am on the right track know just had a temporary moment of the silly idea thinking of trying to do this myself and not using my agent. Thanks!

- Already started documenting everything.
-Have a dropbox account with pictures and original videos, will scan the reports, thanks
- Waiting for call back already - based on the advice here.
- Body Shop picking up car today
- Have rental already (my expense for now, will keep receipts of rental plus gas receipts)
- Already seen my Dr, have physical therapy to do.

Looks your car will be totaled.

I would do the following:
- Please document every conversation in an email, no verbal telephone calls.
- Create a google drive folder and upload everything there including date stamp photos and police report.
- Contact your insurance company and drop the car off at the body shop and leave it there.
- Get a rental right away.
- Also reach out to a few chiropractors for you and your pertinent passengers. Get treatment ASAP and pay out of pocket. Start documenting loss of work and medical appts. This will pay off in dividends later.

Ok convinced and calling my Agent! Thanks people.

To answer questions.

Yes have dashcam footage
The start shows me passing the truck and changing lanes, the end is him hitting me.

Front cam shows narrowly missing the truck in front. Video starts at 10 seconds.

Yes the 2 HP Monitors made it also had a HP Computer back there and all is well.

I hope the car is totaled, as hard as I was hit firm believer in the safety of the car! but was before anyway,.

Thanks again everyone

That is INSANE you got hit at not even a full stop. I can understand if you slammed on the brakes but nothing about that traffic situation seemed abnormal and you still got rear ended. Very sorry!