Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rear Footwell Lights.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I got inspired by the post recommending using T-tap connectors and bought a $30 set of 4 blue lights from Amazon and about $25 in electrical components (T-Tap connectors, 20 AWG 2-pin wiring, butt connectors) and just followed the same installation instructions from AO for a DIY rear footwell install for about half the price (AO charges $23 for a front pair + $80 for the rear)!

RLoX2KE.jpg

Footwell LEDs I used: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07TWQC3HF/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Fun fact: I was able to actually tap both rear footwell LEDs into the passenger-side footwell LED without tripping the soft fuse or generating any warnings/alarms.

Reactions: aspushkin
I really think the blue looks cool but I fear it might look ridiculous too. I'm 44 years old and I'm imagining going to a wedding or something (one day in the post covid future) and my car looking like a teenagers. I wish you could switch between colors if you want to. Am I crazy? Does anyone regret going blue? I noticed they have an ice blue as well that might be more modest. I also wonder if the blue makes it harder to find stuff and sometimes you wish you had plain white.

Reactions: meh_
I really think the blue looks cool but I fear it might look ridiculous too. I'm 44 years old and I'm imagining going to a wedding or something (one day in the post covid future) and my car looking like a teenagers. I wish you could switch between colors if you want to. Am I crazy? Does anyone regret going blue? I noticed they have an ice blue as well that might be more modest. I also wonder if the blue makes it harder to find stuff and sometimes you wish you had plain white.

if you like blue, go for it.

My wife’s MKZ has lights in front and rear footwells and along the trim on the doors. We set them to be blue and don’t think we look like teenagers. No weird looks or comments from people. The only comments we get are when you open a door and the light on that door changes to red. Everyone thinks that is a great idea.

I also have a 2013 Edge that has footwell lights that we set to blue are well. Again, no comments from anyone.

if you like blue go for it. I’m will be doing the footwells in blues when I get mine. I’m not doing the center console because I think it looks like a well lit runway. I would like to figure out how to do it along the door trim though because that does give a nice glow all around.

And for the record, we are well past 44. Please don’t tell my wife I said that.

Tesmanian. I'd reserve giving a full recommendation, only because the front mats do not fit perfectly with my 2021 revised seat posts. There's a bit of a gap by the seat post, it may bother some.
IMG_1386.jpg
IMG_1391.jpg
IMG_1390.jpg

Last edited:
I got inspired by the post recommending using T-tap connectors and bought a $30 set of 4 blue lights from Amazon and about $25 in electrical components (T-Tap connectors, 20 AWG 2-pin wiring, butt connectors) and just followed the same installation instructions from AO for a DIY rear footwell install for about half the price (AO charges $23 for a front pair + $80 for the rear)!

RLoX2KE.jpg

Footwell LEDs I used: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07TWQC3HF/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Fun fact: I was able to actually tap both rear footwell LEDs into the passenger-side footwell LED without tripping the soft fuse or generating any warnings/alarms.
How did you connect these lights under the seats? I know the other ones are led strips with double sided tape. Did you just use double sided tape for these as well? Thanks!

I have abstract ocean's rear footwell lights and love them. The functionality and appearance is exactly what you would expect from an OEM option.

The functionality is worth the $70. But I agree that there is no more than a few dollars worth of parts. If someone on the forums posted a parts list with evidence it actually looks and works just as well as AO's for one tenth the price I would have gone that route.

But since no one has actually done that(yet) and I was not in the mood to spend way more than $70 worth of my time developing my own solution, I was happy to pay AO's price.
If someone knows how to source the connectors, the DIY solution would be great. I just really hate splicing into OEM harnesses or any sort.

I'm going on 35 and I don't think the blue makes me look like a teenager or anything, even if I was going to a wedding. The blue in these pictures (at least the official AO kit) is a bit brighter than it looks in person, and, these are all taken while the car is in park, which is a brighter mode. When you shift in drive the lights automatically dim like your front footwell lights do. When dimmed they are just a soft glow of blue, and especially when matched with your exterior paint color I think they look very OEM and classy, not "boy racer."

Also, if you want you can turn off the ambient lights completely in the driving menu.

They're probably less useful than white lights when it comes to finding things... but way better than NO lights (which the back doesn't have from the factory). The front footwell it's probably a wash, there isn't a lot of areas for things to get "lost" up front so the blue doesn't really hurt in that case.

If someone knows how to source the connectors, the DIY solution would be great. I just really hate splicing into OEM harnesses or any sort.
Abstract Ocean sells light pigtail extensions you can use to splice without cutting into the stock wiring.

Reactions: shingles