Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Decent Footwell Lights

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Abstract Ocean used to have a good rating, I got some puddle lights from them (years ago). No recent exeprience, but they have this:

Thanks man, looking for something UK based (although I know its difficult), maybe even amazon.

Abstract Ocean is a family-run business based in Texas (I believe). Pete, the CEO, is originally from the UK. They are super nice people. I have bought quite a lot from AO since 2019 when we got our first Tesla and have never been hit with customs fees or import duty.

I have no affiliation but am a very satisfied repeat customer and have communicated with Pete and Crytsal when I had support questions. If you watch any of their helpful installation instructional videos, the guy is Pete.

We bought a couple of consignments from AO, one quite large and certainly subject to import duties and another single item for a small enough amount to be a bit hit and miss what duty might be payable, iirc ~ £7 item and similar shipping.

First item we paid ‘a lot’ for quick shipping. Iirc it was DHL. Before ‘DHL’ delivered, they contacted us for duty payment (triple checked it wasn’t a well timed scam). This was appropriate cost for the import duty/VAT for the items. No ‘service cost’ (like you might get with post office) was included in payment so I assumed that part of the original customs handling was included in original shipping price. Absolutely no hassle and would have been delivered in a couple of days had I been able to take delivery on specified day.

Tl;dr - customs handling charge included in shipping fee, customs payment extra (expected) fee paid once known by customs ahead of delivery.

Second item was paid using their new ‘cheap’ method. It went on a grand tour of Europe and apparently ended up sitting in one country for several weeks. I did chase but it was what it was - international postal services. In the end, delivered after 3 weeks with nothing to pay. Would have been very cheesed of had Royal Mail slapped a £12 handling charge on a £7 item. Worked out as expected in the end, but took its time.

It’s a shame that AO don’t have more of a UK presence. They have always been a bit pricey vs some other, not helped by shipping costs, (latter partly why I wouldn’t consider buying a rear camera cover from them), but products and customer service excellent and always happy, within reason, to pay a little more to support that.

Biggest issue is shipping costs and customs uncertainty. Need to mentally add 20% VAT to cost and be prepared to pay some of that ahead of taking delivery.

Reactions: Bootneckshuffl
We bought a couple of consignments from AO, one quite large and certainly subject to import duties and another single item for a small enough amount to be a bit hit and miss what duty might be payable, iirc ~ £7 item and similar shipping.

First item we paid ‘a lot’ for quick shipping. Iirc it was DHL. Before ‘DHL’ delivered, they contacted us for duty payment (triple checked it wasn’t a well timed scam). This was appropriate cost for the import duty/VAT for the items. No ‘service cost’ (like you might get with post office) was included in payment so I assumed that part of the original customs handling was included in original shipping price. Absolutely no hassle and would have been delivered in a couple of days had I been able to take delivery on specified day.

Tl;dr - customs handling charge included in shipping fee, customs payment extra (expected) fee paid once known by customs ahead of delivery.

Second item was paid using their new ‘cheap’ method. It went on a grand tour of Europe and apparently ended up sitting in one country for several weeks. I did chase but it was what it was - international postal services. In the end, delivered after 3 weeks with nothing to pay. Would have been very cheesed of had Royal Mail slapped a £12 handling charge on a £7 item. Worked out as expected in the end, but took its time.

It’s a shame that AO don’t have more of a UK presence. They have always been a bit pricey vs some other, not helped by shipping costs, (latter partly why I wouldn’t consider buying a rear camera cover from them), but products and customer service excellent and always happy, within reason, to pay a little more to support that.

Biggest issue is shipping costs and customs uncertainty. Need to mentally add 20% VAT to cost and be prepared to pay some of that ahead of taking delivery.
Agreed, the UK needs somewhere of the reputation like AO. At the moment we're restricted to Amazon and eBay (AE if you're brave enough) and despite the presence of reviews etc (pinch if salt), it's still a roll of the dice every time you buy something from there.

Reactions: DigbyChicken