Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rear Glass Sunshade

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thanks Eno for your thoughts on this....unfortunately I just ordered them both before seeing your post. Will give them a try.

The front one is very obvious improvement and very little negatives. The rear one is certainly more debatable if it's worth it.
I do agree you lose some headroom and it's probably more than an inch in some places. I don't see any wrinkles.
If you are curious run a string across the back.

That is the first post I've seen that has said the view impairment was that big of a deal to them.

You're not trying to read a license plate in the rearview mirror.
All you use the rearview mirror for is, is someone behind you, how close are they, is their blinker on, did they flash their high beam, etc.

So you really just have to drive and just "feel" if your driving is impaired. It's not. I completely forget it's there. My wife was worried to and she has not mentioned a word about it, and she surely would if it impacted here driving. It's surprising that you don't rely on fine detail in the rearview mirror. For backing up I tend to use sideviews and the camera not the rearview.

I'll be curious to see what you think.

My main issues with the rear visibility are that you often can't see if there are cars close behind you in low-light conditions (the headlights are often hidden by the Model 3's high rear deck), and that I sometimes feel unsafe backing out of a parking space in the dark (the camera with its fisheye perspective misrepresents distance). In general, I like to see clearly what's going on behind me (I have adjusted the exterior mirrors such that they combine with the rearview mirror to provide a wide rear view). It just feels restrictive to me with the rear shade. But YMMV depending on what you are used to.

Reactions: mswlogo
IMG_20190129_174143.jpg

Not a great photo but here's the nighttime version of the rear-view mirror shot for comparison.

So, I ordered the rear shade on a whim and have been using it for the past week. Unfortunately I don't really like it. It diminishes the rear view quite a bit, particularly in low-light situations. But even in broad daylight it distorts everything heavily. Not really comparable to a tint. It also looks a bit cheap to me (I think it's because it has some wrinkles near the frame) and hangs a bit loose and sags (more so than the front version), so you lose at least 2 inches of headroom on the rear seats.

I didn't notice any improvements in preventing glare (the auto-dimming mirror works quite well for me), nor any change in sound quality. Perhaps in summer I'll try if it mitigates the heat (but I doubt it). In summary I would recommend the front shade, but not necessarily the rear one.

@Eno Deb,

The sag concerns me....do you have any photos of the sagging?

Ski

85 and sunny today and I'm loving my shades. It makes the cabin far cooler upon entering after a 9-hour work day sitting in the sun. (I have both roof shades and a fabulous front windshield shade. ) my shades do not sag and are very taut in their frames. They've been in a week or two. I agree the rear view is distorted out the rear view mirror, but I don't care- I'm not removing/ installing every car trip. Rear camera works great as a rear view if I have a jerk riding my behind...

• Love
Reactions: Skione65
Wuz up. You never reported back how you like them.
I must have reviewed on the other forum. I tried but not currently using.
Not a huge fan but they may come in handy for summer months. Rear shade sags a bit and reduces rear visibility some. (Think identifying light bars from a distance). They do seem to quiet noise reflections a bit but not much difference on the dB meter. I kind of liked the open view through the front sunroof too.

Reactions: mswlogo
the sagging worries me

It doesn’t really sag. The rear glass is curved and the sunshade goes straight across. You’d never know it looking at it. But if someone tall sits in back they will likely notice the low ceiling.

BTW Amazon now has several 3rd party shades that cover half the rear window. Cheaper too. And the clips in the middle might hold it up slightly higher.

It doesn’t really sag. The rear glass is curved and the sunshade goes straight across. You’d never know it looking at it.
You must have a much better built shade than I do. Mine absolutely sags (i.e. it hangs lower toward the middle than close to the edges), because it is larger than the front shade and there isn't enough tension and support to keep it flat. If it worked as well as the front shade I wouldn't have an issue with it.