Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rear HVAC additional AC condenser

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Madsen203

May 26, MYLR, White ext, Black int, Tow, 19”
Jun 1, 2021
Bay Area
Hi all,

Placed an order for a Model X 5 seater. Found out the 5 seater May only rely on passive AC cooling from front HVAC. The 6/7 have a possible second condenser line that allows for added cooling power in the rear.

Can any one confirm this? Having a young kid in the car and often traveling through CA hot summer temps, having the added cooling power helps. In the Y, the rear center console vents work OK but when temps pass the mid-80’s, it’s nearly impossible to maintain temps back there—all while having top of the line tint throughout the car.

Thoughts or knowledge about 2022-3 X’s would be grateful!

Actually, yes. The rear A/C system has its own blower and evaporator, and the whole system has a larger refrigerant charge.

In pre heat pump vehicles, it also had a 1.5 kW PTC heater in addition to the primary 6 kW PTC heater for the front system. I don’t know how this is handled on a heat pump equipped Model X.
Interesting. this is definitely not in the parts catalog

Heat pump, pre heat pump or both?
refresh X. So I think I found it, it's depicted here in blue in the general overview for thermal management. However, if you go to the actual blown-up parts diagram, they only show components for the front. Even if you search for "evap", only one part comes up, the thermistor. There is no mention of rear blower motor or any evaporator part number in the epc. Only the front blower motor shows up in a search for "blower"

What does this mean? I don't know.

1657593754911.png

Sorry, I missed the part about this for the refresh. The last diagram you posted looks like they’ve eliminated the rear unit and are feeding the rear vents from the center console. Interesting!

Honestly, it’s probably better this way. The rear unit was pretty anemic, especially in heat mode. Also fewer parts to break.

Hi all,

Placed an order for a Model X 5 seater. Found out the 5 seater May only rely on passive AC cooling from front HVAC. The 6/7 have a possible second condenser line that allows for added cooling power in the rear.

Can any one confirm this? Having a young kid in the car and often traveling through CA hot summer temps, having the added cooling power helps. In the Y, the rear center console vents work OK but when temps pass the mid-80’s, it’s nearly impossible to maintain temps back there—all while having top of the line tint throughout the car.

Thoughts or knowledge about 2022-3 X’s would be grateful!

Did you get an answer to this? I read the entire thread but didn’t see a concrete answer. Does the 22 Model X 5-seater have dual AC for the rear? I am thinking about replacing my 21MX 5-seater which doesn’t have dual AC.

Last edited: