Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rear Indicators

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi

I have a 2020 RHD Tesla 3. My colleague on following me into work today commented how small the rear indicators are on it. Not something I've noticed before (funnily enough) but I put the hazard lights on to view them and only a small indicator light of around 3 inches lights up on the outer light cluster. Is this right or should the indicator also be on, on the light cluster attached to the boot?

Cheers.

I’d be keen to retrofit them too. Willing to take the car apart (already removed a door card to fix a rattle) but any know how you can share would be much appreciated.
So they changed the wiring loom since the removal so a bit of spicing is needed now - here's my post when I installed it (a few pics couple posts down in that thread too). The first pic is of a single led bulb with low power consumption but looked too dim IMO and the second is from a strip of 3 bulbs I had lying around. Removed the single bulb and installed the strips in the rear too and ended up attaching little clips for easy removal.

Reactions: Goatex
Actually that's one thing my husband and I noticed from other M3 we've seen driving around. The rear indicator lights seem stupidly small and narrow, and even more so compared to other high-end cars like Audis...

Looking at that red M3 video, I'd say those are the US spec.. I'd say the ones I've seen driving around in the UK are narrower???

If they're bright and visible enough (and they seem to be, I don't think you can miss them) then it's just a matter of aesthetics.
I don't like they way they look either but they do their job, are compliant with the regs and that's good enough for me.

There certainly bright enough :)

It's one of the first things my parents noticed when I got the car in September (they were following me back from the SC) and mentioned my indicators seemed tiny...

I haven't investigated so this could be complete bollocks but I assumed it was down to US indicators on the rear often being red and it looked like (from the quick glance I had at the time) that the yellow part that's installed on the EU cars/rest of the world is the other half of what would otherwise be the brake / rear light. I assumed that in the USA they're probably combined somehow whereas in the rest of the world because the indicator has to be yellow only half of it flashes.

I was however disappointed that it's just a normal flash - I was hoping for the cool sliding kind of effect we see on some new cars / trucks!

I compared the US and European versions. The European one (UK inc) is about 1/3 the length of the American indicator light.

1619101262197.png