Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rear license plate installed with wrong screws

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Think that depends which license plate mount you have. Do we know if the older ones that just have the grommets will be an issue?

That is for the older ones, with grommet "SCR GROMMET,5,7x7H-0.65-1.5 GRP,PA6,SEAL 1116498-00-C" right in the trunk lid.

In doing some digging, it appears that Tesla has since improved the rear license plate mounting. I have no way of confirming this. But I have see some people posting pictures of a plastic plate that Tesla now installs so that there is a middle piece between the trunk and the actual license plate itself, which theoretically should help prevent scratching of the trunk paint.

I can't readily turn up a picture, but I've seen it: the very latest seem to be coming with a black licence-plate-sized pad or gasket or some such. It's not listed, or not obvious, in the parts catalog, and I haven't seen one in person. I would suspect it's just a gasket and still uses the same screws and grommets, but I can't be sure.

That is for the older ones, with grommet "SCR GROMMET,5,7x7H-0.65-1.5 GRP,PA6,SEAL 1116498-00-C" right in the trunk lid.

I can't readily turn up a picture, but I've seen it: the very latest seem to be coming with a black licence-plate-sized pad or gasket or some such. It's not listed, or not obvious, in the parts catalog, and I haven't seen one in person. I would suspect it's just a gasket and still uses the same screws and grommets, but I can't be sure.
It is different looking. My friend just got the Model 3 Mid-range with one on it. Here's a photo I found on M3OC:
IMG_20190102_155030422.jpg

It is different looking. My friend just got the Model 3 Mid-range with one on it. Here's a photo I found on M3OC:
View attachment 393435

That's not quite what I expected.

Thoughts, based just on the picture:
- It looks as though the... thingy... attaches to the car with the two dark screws, and has threaded inserts for the licence plate screws.
- That means older vehicles can't take the new thingy.
- It also probably makes it easier to be US/EU flexible by just using an EU thingy.
- The inserts may be through hole, i.e. if your plate screw was too long, it would hit the car paint. (Can't quite tell from the photo.) If they are not through, then the screws will bottom out in the thingy -- either way, screw length now matters.

I took delivery of my Model 3 a couple weeks ago. Earlier this week I noticed that the rear license plate was loose (the screws around the plate had about 1/4in left to thread in.

I had time today to check it out and the screws (self taping coarse thread) wouldn't go in. I take them out and notice that the threads were gnarled and appeared to be a much finer thread. I took out a tap set and confirmed they are actually M5 threads...

I ran the tap through and threw in some M5's that I had sitting around. Luckily I didn't try to keep driving the existing screws in or I would have damaged by paint.

I don't want to schedule a service call for this ridiculous oversight but I'd like to have the screws that are designed for the plate (mine have a small head and barely hold it). Do you think they'd just ship me out a new mounting bracket or screws, or do I need to go through the motion of scheduling a service visit?
I had the same problem but didn't examine the screws. Just assumed they were the wrong screws.

Ok, so I got the bolts. The one on the left was the bolt that the SC used, the one of the left is the correct bolt thread/size.

If you want me to ship you four bolts or more for $3, PM me your shipping name/address and I'll send my PayPal. I'm sitting on 46 bolts right now. They'll ship USPS First Class package. I also have a Model 3 chrome license plate frame if someone is interested...

I purchased them from Grainger, they are stainless steel A2 bolts so they won't rust.

FABORY M5-0.80 x 8mm, Button, Socket Head Cap Screw, A2, Stainless Steel, Plain Finish, 50PK - 54FR37|M51028.050.0008 - Grainger

0AjPLyx.png

68ZlMyb.jpg
Received the bolts, thanks. But they don't seem to fit in the mounting tabs on my car. Are these for the black mounting plate?

Here is a before/after with (bottom) and without (top) the amazon screw covers, still using the stock tesla screws.

View attachment 393672

Here is the kit:
https://www.amazon.com/Cruiser-Accessories-82030-Covers-Chrome/dp/B00032KC30/ref=pd_day0_hl_263_2/144-3742014-6231527

Do you have to take the screws out and then add the clear rubber insert before adding the plastic chrome caps? I am worried about taking the screws out because it may break the existing rubber washers

Tried to remove the screws this morning and was able to remove the top 2 but of course the bottom 2 are stuck in the grommets and just keep spinning. This is so incredibly annoying.

So I’m stuck. Making a SC appointment. Same thing happened when they attached the temporary frame and I tried to install the license plate the first time.

If I try to get the screws out I assume I still need these awful grommets so it’s not worth it to keep pushing forward because I won’t be able to reinstall since the grommets I assume are ruined now. I also badly scratched my license plate which takes away from the whole point of trying to create a more appealing look.

For those installing their plates are you using the grommets are you just screwing in the screwed without them?

Last edited:
Tried to remove the screws this morning and was able to remove the top 2 but of course the bottom 2 are stuck in the grommets and just keep spinning. This is so incredibly annoying.

When I had the same issue I was able to get the screws out pretty easily by using a flat head screwdriver to wedge under the screw head and gently apply some upward pressure against the screw while at the same time turning the screw out with a philips head driver as normal.

One technique I have seen for fixing a screw hole that is too loose is to jamb a piece of toothpick into the hole before driving the screw back in. It tightens up the whole enough for the screw to work. I have not tried it in this circumstance but it might be worth considering. Of course the best long-term solution is to have service change out the grommets for new ones.

When I had the same issue I was able to get the screws out pretty easily by using a flat head screwdriver to wedge under the screw head and gently apply some upward pressure against the screw while at the same time turning the screw out with a philips head driver as normal.

One technique I have seen for fixing a screw hole that is too loose is to jamb a piece of toothpick into the hole before driving the screw back in. It tightens up the whole enough for the screw to work. I have not tried it in this circumstance but it might be worth considering. Of course the best long-term solution is to have service change out the grommets for new ones.

Your advice is right on. I was finally able to apply enough upward pressure and get it out. The grommet came out with the screw. It popped back in and I was able to install the chrome caps. I think I am still going to ask them for some grommets just in case I need to make any changes/ adjustments in the future. I can confirm that the chrome caps from amazon do work well.

Do you still have some available? If you have 8, I will take them. Thanks.

Ok, so I got the bolts. The one on the left was the bolt that the SC used, the one of the left is the correct bolt thread/size.

If you want me to ship you four bolts or more for $3, PM me your shipping name/address and I'll send my PayPal. I'm sitting on 46 bolts right now. They'll ship USPS First Class package. I also have a Model 3 chrome license plate frame if someone is interested...

I purchased them from Grainger, they are stainless steel A2 bolts so they won't rust.

FABORY M5-0.80 x 8mm, Button, Socket Head Cap Screw, A2, Stainless Steel, Plain Finish, 50PK - 54FR37|M51028.050.0008 - Grainger

0AjPLyx.png

68ZlMyb.jpg

Honestly, and sadly, this is yet another example of Tesla being relatively new at the art of producing automobiles. We have a 2023 Model Y and I just went to replace the temporary tag with the metal license plates we just received from the DMV -- and guess what, the screws on the car are so short that I can't even put the plate on the car with the provided tiny little screws. Amateurish.