Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

"Rear Motor Disabled"

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Was this an error message in the car? or???

and... it would not surprise me if one motor was marked as "disabled" for whatever reason if they disabled both, unless they can put the "bad" motor in "N" somehow. (which I guess is possible).

Dan

and... it would not surprise me if one motor was marked as "disabled" for whatever reason if they disabled both, unless they can put the "bad" motor in "N" somehow. (which I guess is possible).

Dan
There have been several reports here that the front motor can die, and the rear motor will take you home.

There have also been report in the newer P90DL, IIRC, that the rear motor can die and the car can drive on just the front motor. Lots of people were surprised and skeptical, until the person posted a screenshot.

So yes, it's possible to drive on one motor. Sometimes.

Dan
OP has an older car and rear motor only, no dual motors, hence his first sentence, "Which was really inconvenient, since I only have a rear motor."

There have been several reports here that the front motor can die, and the rear motor will take you home.

There have also been report in the newer P90DL, IIRC, that the rear motor can die and the car can drive on just the front motor. Lots of people were surprised and skeptical, until the person posted a screenshot.

So yes, it's possible to drive on one motor. Sometimes.

good to know! thanks! (I take back my thought then :) )

OP has an older car and rear motor only, no dual motors, hence his first sentence, "Which was really inconvenient, since I only have a rear motor."

True, but I was responding to his second line ("I am thinking a new DU is in my future"), and assuming that "DU" meant dual... something... of course, now that I think about it, and reread it, I guess DU probably meant "Drive Unit", making my response even more off-base.

Oh well... sorry about confusing everyone... just ignore me, I'll go away now...

This happened to me on Monday as well. P85D.

I got the rear motor disabled message. I was able to continue to get off the freeway using the front motor I assume.

Once I got off the freeway and put it in park...I could not move at all.

Flatbed to the shop...48 hours later and and new Drive Unit, she was just delivered back to me.

[...] So yes, it's possible to drive on one motor. Sometimes.

I can confirm it's possible, at least in some cases like mine, to continue driving on the front motor only after the rear drive unit fails.

This happened to me on Monday as well. P85D.

I got the rear motor disabled message. I was able to continue to get off the freeway using the front motor I assume.

Once I got off the freeway and put it in park...I could not move at all.

Flatbed to the shop...48 hours later and and new Drive Unit, she was just delivered back to me.

Mine was an almost identical experience as @jsimon77, with my 70D three weeks ago, as I described elsewhere

only difference, after seeing the dash warning I continued driving a few blocks on front motor only, then pulled over and put the car into Park. Without getting out of the car, I put it back into Drive (rear motor warning still there), and I then was lucikly able to drive the remaining few blocks home.

But next day I wasn't able to put the car into drive again (I assume, after the car powered down overnight the system disabled the front motor to be safe?). Flatbed, loaner car... etc... 2 business days later got the car back with a new rear drive unit. Annoying but at least it was near home when it failed and I never had to set foot in the Service Centre myself nor be without a car.

p.s. here's a Tip:
if this ever happens to you don't park the car nose-in into your garage before calling service, like I did. I had assumed I could continue to drive on the front motor alone the next day so I didn't think to leave the car out on the street (bad move)

It was very hard to push my car backwards out of my very narrow garage and up the almost imperceptible incline of my driveway, before they could tow it up onto the flatbed. Of course, the only tow hook on this very heavy car is at the front... The SC had to send a couple extra guys to my house to help push, after the flatbed driver and I only got it out halfway.