Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rear motor failure on road trip.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I found a "rear motor disabled/reduced power" warning on starting my M3 one morning on a recent road trip. My first stop was a nearby charging station (though I still had plenty of range left) so I drove there with no difficulty. After charging, the warning disappeared. I put it down to a fluke warning?
Believe me, it is not a fluke. You have maybe 500 miles left. Happened on my model X, one of the first 1k made. Guy at Tesla said it was installed by hand. But if this happened to a model 3 then it has to do something with the motor and not the VIN. Is it the performance motor? Or normal?

The upside is I finally made it home but not before two of three days of my business trip were consumed: first with the break down then with trying to get home. Not to mention about $70 in Uber charges I probably will not be reimbursed for.

So how do you get the car back when it is fixed. Do you have to fly back to get your car or are they shipping it to you?

So, this happened to me:
“Please wait while car powers up”, then “car needs service”. Several loud clunks from the rear or the car. After 2-3 minutes, car started normally. Tesla service advised me to take the car to a SC immediately. Diagnosis: failed rear drive assembly. 4 weeks in the shop, the first 3 waiting delivery of the rear drive assembly from Cali to Texas. Bright spot was they gave me a S P90D with Ludicrous as a loaner. My worry is residual damage to the battery unit. Any thoughts?

• Informative
Reactions: Phlier
Update: My car came to life for a short time on Friday morning and I was able to connect with my Tesla app. The location showed the car was at the Tesla SC, instead of on the side of the hwy where it died, and it was inside the building. That was encouraging. Later I got a txt saying the car was getting some hands-on diagnostics. Hopefully on Monday, I'll learn more about what the problem was and the who, what, where and when regarding the repair.

Reactions: dmurphy and Phlier
Your experience is why I typically rent a car when I go on a long road trip. That way, if anything at all goes wrong with it, including a flat tire, it's not my problem, I call Hertz, or Enterprise, or etc. and the come bring me a new car. Worst case, I lose a day. Sucks not being able to drive your own car but the hassle if something goes wrong is just not worth it.

• Informative
Reactions: brkaus and alloverx
So how do you get the car back when it is fixed. Do you have to fly back to get your car or are they shipping it to you?

They will ship it to my local SC where they will give it a final check and I will pick it up there. Or perhaps they will deliver it to my house since I do not have a rental or loaner to return. But I will not be expected to travel back there to get it.

Your experience is why I typically rent a car when I go on a long road trip. That way, if anything at all goes wrong with it, including a flat tire, it's not my problem, I call Hertz, or Enterprise, or etc. and the come bring me a new car. Worst case, I lose a day. Sucks not being able to drive your own car but the hassle if something goes wrong is just not worth it.

Interesting... I've taken countless road trips, over the last 30 years, no issue driving my own cars.

I agree with the SC problems. Each time I call, leave messages, or email - I get ignored. By the 3 writers, by Tesla, and whoever else monitors the SC's. The only way is to drive 20min to the SC. Once there, everything works fine. The helpful writer has given me phone numbers, text numbers, emails. None really work. He even showed me his 2nd computer, with the screen in portrait mode. He has all his service emails on it, and monitors it all the time. But until I'm there, and get an appt - I get nothing. After that, service is quick and prompt.
And for my 2 minor service appts, they always talk about Uber. But when I get there, they say it will only take 90 min, and ask me to wait. I'm retired, so it's not an issue. As long as I come prepared.
(so far, they have replaced a fog light and a missing panel on the windshield camera - which I didn't even know was missing)

'Family member's Benz's computer systems all died on the road, has been in the shop for a month or more. Based on that experience, all Benzes are unreliable...'

We looked at Mercedes, and liked them. But the repair record for ALL German cars was horrendous! We got a Lexus. It's 13yo, and has never needed to visit the shop for repairs. Since 95, we've only bought Japanese. I drove a Nissan van for 20 years. It also never needed repairs. I finally gave it to a friend, in need.
Is Tesla reliable? Here's hoping. Time will tell. And money?

That’s exactly how it’s supposed to work! Any failure is unpleasant but it sounds like they handled it in the best way possible. Fixed, fixed correctly and fixed rapidly. The loaner/Uber thing - I guess my feeling is that for a day or two, Uber is acceptable most of the time. Of course, there’s extenuating circumstances sometimes, so rental and loaners should be options if one really needs it. Beyond that, a loaner really should be available.

I guess I’m lucky in that my office is at home, so a shuttle or Uber will suffice for a day or two; I can be flexible. I understand loaners are a shared, limited resource so I don’t want to take one if it’s just going to sit in my driveway all day anyway... that’s just bad karma.

Anyway - back to your service repair - very cool the way they handled your springs, too!

“hey, we tried to do an alignment but can’t. So if you take out the lowered springs, just bring it back and we’ll do it then.”

Sounds fair and reasonable to me!

That said - I’d say you probably do actually need an alignment if they had to pull the entire drive assembly .... how much work would it be to put it back to stock?

The car is driving fine without an alignment. Putting it back to factory would be $350 and wouldn't make sense (to me) just to get a tesla alignment and then drop it back down for another $350 and have it aligned again ($75). If it was pulling one way or another, I'd have it done again at the shop that did it after I had it lowered. Very happy with the whole process!

Reactions: dmurphy
I agree with the SC problems. Each time I call, leave messages, or email - I get ignored. By the 3 writers, by Tesla, and whoever else monitors the SC's. The only way is to drive 20min to the SC. Once there, everything works fine. The helpful writer has given me phone numbers, text numbers, emails. None really work. He even showed me his 2nd computer, with the screen in portrait mode. He has all his service emails on it, and monitors it all the time. But until I'm there, and get an appt - I get nothing. After that, service is quick and prompt.
And for my 2 minor service appts, they always talk about Uber. But when I get there, they say it will only take 90 min, and ask me to wait. I'm retired, so it's not an issue. As long as I come prepared.
(so far, they have replaced a fog light and a missing panel on the windshield camera - which I didn't even know was missing)
The entire recently implemented can't-talk-to-anybody policy is ludicrous (so-to-speak). There are sham email contacts. Their service center employees are not trained to industry standards.
If my coffee maker breaks, I can call customer service to help me return/repair, etc. and speak to a helpful human. This is a CAR company for crying out loud! People depend on their cars for their life and living. How could you continue to run an automobile business when the customer, even in a dire situation, basically doesn't exist in their service business paradigm. Sure, they'll get you and your dead car to a SC and then you become invisible to them. I own an LR RWD and It's a great car. I too have experienced frustrations with their service, but lucky to not have been in a long distance, life disrupting scenario. Elon is so quick to communicate with the fan boys on twitter, how about giving the same respect by the service business to their investors/owners. It's just bull crap that MUST CHANGE.

Reactions: alloverx
The car is driving fine without an alignment. Putting it back to factory would be $350 and wouldn't make sense (to me) just to get a tesla alignment and then drop it back down for another $350 and have it aligned again ($75). If it was pulling one way or another, I'd have it done again at the shop that did it after I had it lowered. Very happy with the whole process!

Agreed with you on all counts! Wasn’t sure how much work it was but $775 just isn’t worth it. Even if your tires wear unevenly a bit, that cost alone will almost buy you a new set.

Glad Tesla did right by you. I think they’re starting to get stuff together - once they’re firing on all cylinders, look out!

Picked it up on time as indicated by the service rep. I received a new Rear Drive unit and a related cable. Here are the part numbers for those that care. Overall I'm happy with the service and turn-around time. I'll admit that I'll have a little bit of anxiety until my old brain forgets this ever happened. My only complaint were the Uber credits instead of a loaner, but thats a first-world problem that I'll get over quickly

New LR AWD owner here. Thought I would post my observations based on your parts list. It seems important to note that the rear MOTOR did not fail, but the drive unit - the electronics responsible for regulating the voltage / current applied to the rear motor. Without these electronics functioning properly, it seems logical that the battery (12V and HV) could be damaged from unregulated current from the rear motor's BEMF...just speculation on my part.

Not sure what to make of the audible noises emanating from the rear of the car though...

Without these electronics functioning properly, it seems logical that the battery (12V and HV) could be damaged from unregulated current from the rear motor's BEMF.
Components in what Tesla refers to as "The Penthouse," which is a section of electronics in the battery pack, prevent this from occurring; it is not part of the drive unit.