Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rear Number Plate De-frame

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My concern with this is it would be a little too easy to steal?

Its easy enough to steal plates just stuck on it seems. I lost a set that way, different car though.

I always assumed that they were stolen to order, as the car was parked in a road with loads of other cars. Mine seemed to have been singled out. Luckily someone spotted them doing it and reported to the police, so I got an early morning call from them. As it happened, I had some spare plates from a V750 retention, so transferred them to the car instead. That would have foiled their plans to drive around on my plates as they would have been hot on the police ANPR database!

No impact on insurance... I added new (non EU) plates a few days after I got the car. For the front I kept the lower frame which takes up the curved profile, sprayed it white & taped the new plate on top (avoids a dark shadow). The rear is taped directly to the car

F1eTqxp.jpg

Reactions: tj333 and Avendit
Its easy enough to steal plates just stuck on it seems. I lost a set that way, different car though.

I always assumed that they were stolen to order, as the car was parked in a road with loads of other cars. Mine seemed to have been singled out. Luckily someone spotted them doing it and reported to the police, so I got an early morning call from them. As it happened, I had some spare plates from a V750 retention, so transferred them to the car instead. That would have foiled their plans to drive around on my plates as they would have been hot on the police ANPR database!

Fair point. I guess if like you stay you are targeted they will have the required tools and actually a friend showed me how easy it is to remove the standard plate holder.

Like that there plate use was foiled, scum bags

I have both plates fixed with this - https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00186Q7XY/

It's insanely grippy and copes just fine being directly applied to the curvature of the front.

Also means it's easier to swap the original plate back on when I ultimately take my private plate off, although it needs a helluva tug to remove!
These look good but what about taking them off?

I’m thinking Outdoor Command Strips, they can be removed dead easy with the tag at the bottom of them.

Think they’ll work?

After much consideration of the various alternatives to the default frame-mounted plates, I've stuck the original front plate to the plastic piece that is fixed to the car, and the rear plate directly to the car. Used 3M/Scotch "extreme" mounting tape from B&Q. Definitely no room for error. I tried to lift the front plate up after making slight contact and it wanted to take the plastic mount with it! Prefer this way because it would probably be a nightmare to fix the front plate to the car directly due to the shape.

Attachments

• IMG_20200910_174453.jpg
    IMG_20200910_174453.jpg
    877.8 KB · Views: 119
  • IMG_20200910_174305.jpg
    IMG_20200910_174305.jpg
    386.3 KB · Views: 96