Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rear quarter panel damage on a Model Y, looking for advice

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi, so I just bought this 2021 Model Y with only 10k miles on it. I am trying to repair this tiny bit of damage, but the shops all want $3,000 or more to fix it. It was done by the previous owner, so I can't run it through Tesla insurance. Does anyone know if there's a way to pull out this rear quarter panel? It's only pushed in maybe 10-20mm. I can touch up the bumper myself. Maybe someone has had a repair like this done and know what it takes to pull it back out? Thank you kindly!

Attachments

• IMG_2078.jpeg
    IMG_2078.jpeg
    273.6 KB · Views: 592
  • IMG_2079.jpeg
    IMG_2079.jpeg
    214.5 KB · Views: 371
  • IMG_2088.jpeg
    IMG_2088.jpeg
    186.9 KB · Views: 394
  • IMG_2098.jpeg
    IMG_2098.jpeg
    274.6 KB · Views: 430
I would get a quote from a couple PDR (paintless dent repair) people you your area. That panel is aluminum [correction: mild steel] and may not respond kindly to you beating on it. It probably needs heat and slow, consistent pressure to move back into place. A PDR person would have the tools necessary to gently pull the dent, and it would probably cost you more to buy the appropriate tools and do it yourself than they will charge you.

[correction, I thought that part was aluminum, but I just checked and it is mild steel. But my advice still remains, talk to a PRD person, it will probably only cost you $150-$200]

Last edited:
I would get a quote from a couple PDR (paintless dent repair) people you your area. That panel is aluminum [correction: mild steel] and may not respond kindly to you beating on it. It probably needs heat and slow, consistent pressure to move back into place. A PDR person would have the tools necessary to gently pull the dent, and it would probably cost you more to buy the appropriate tools and do it yourself than they will charge you.

[correction, I thought that part was aluminum, but I just checked and it is mild steel. But my advice still remains, talk to a PRD person, it will probably only cost you $150-$200]
I did talk to a great PDR guy here in Portland and he said no, take it to a collision shop. :-( Maybe I'll call another one.

Reactions: Pianewman
The good news is that it doesn't look terrible. $3,000 doesn't seem too high. Hopefully you factored this into the price you offered the seller.

I'm not surprised PDR won't touch it. The entire panel appears to be deformed (it's hard to tell from pics of course).

I would have the repair done right at the body shop. Either way if you go to resell it it's going to take a hit due to the damage.

Now that I look at this on my desktop, it looks like what happened was he struck something with the bumper and the bumper caved in taking that panel that its clipped to with it. Of course the bumper then flexed right back into shape but the panel remains bent in. The $3,000 is probably to replace the bumper cover too? Maybe the cost will be lower if you tell them you only wan to repair the panel?

Reactions: Michael Sant
Now that I look at this on my desktop, it looks like what happened was he struck something with the bumper and the bumper caved in taking that panel that its clipped to with it. Of course the bumper then flexed right back into shape but the panel remains bent in. The $3,000 is probably to replace the bumper cover too? Maybe the cost will be lower if you tell them you only wan to repair the panel?
Yeah, that’s what I’m thinking too. Gonna try to just pull out the panel steel and reattach bumper. As of now, the bumper won’t clip in and one white dart looking plastic part fell out and into the bumper.

Yeah, that’s what I’m thinking too. Gonna try to just pull out the panel steel and reattach bumper. As of now, the bumper won’t clip in and one white dart looking plastic part fell out and into the bumper.
Were you able to get this fixed? If so, what did you do or where did you go?

I have this same issue with my Model Y and I'm also in the Portland, OR area. Appreciate it.

Attachments

• IMG_4181.jpg
    IMG_4181.jpg
    416.4 KB · Views: 326
Gonna just remove the bumper cover and try to snap it back on myself.
Ah got it. I took mine to Tesla to see if they could just re-attach the bumper. They said that the quarter panel is bent, so they couldn't do it and said to take it to a body shop.

I'm going to check out some PDR shops and see what they say. I'll keep you updated on how it goes for me. Let me know how it goes for you. Hopefully we can figure this out.

If you are looking for perfection fix you have to replace the part. The panel is likely bent inward. I would never pay $3K to fix those. If you just want improvements on the gap. I would suggest getting a PDR kit off amazon. Stick a few of these along the bent edge and pull it outward with the PDR kit. I have used PDR kit before and it is not that hard. It takes some practice. Just use the larger ones for this kind of bent. It may not be a perfect fix but it will definitely close the gap better. A professional PDR shop likely will not work on it because PDR is more for single point impact dent.

I guess repairing these Teslas is a big deal I am also in the same boat as you guys with repairs. I am in Surrey BC and I just backed up my Tesla Model Y on to my Lexus standing on the driveway with no warning at all and now have a dent on the back quarter panel. All tesla body shops want to replace the whole quarter panel with 4k to 8k estimate as they said not sure if there is any damage underneath the bumper. Waiting on the body shop to order parts and call me in for repairs.

Attachments

• Tesla Dmg 1.jpg
    Tesla Dmg 1.jpg
    333.9 KB · Views: 254
I guess repairing these Teslas is a big deal I am also in the same boat as you guys with repairs. I am in Surrey BC and I just backed up my Tesla Model Y on to my Lexus standing on the driveway with no warning at all and now have a dent on the back quarter panel. All tesla body shops want to replace the whole quarter panel with 4k to 8k estimate as they said not sure if there is any damage underneath the bumper. Waiting on the body shop to order parts and call me in for repairs.
Sorry to hear. At least you're able to get in with an estimate. I have an appointment scheduled for mid June... this is just for an estimate :(