Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rear right side window is damaged.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I let my wife take my car out for groceries. She went to the right back seat to get something and when she closed to door she heard some glass break or shatter. She couldn't find where it came from but the window is now down and won't go up. So I assume the window is now a goner. If I can get access to a replacement how feasible is it for an average person to fix it?

Have you done any work on your cars, DIY? It’s doable but to get the window aligned again on the door would be a pain. I think Tesla would point you to authorised bodyshops so it might get quite long to fix. One other point is that different glass can be with different tone, I mean colour from factory, not a tint.

Have you done any work on your cars, DIY? It’s doable but to get the window aligned again on the door would be a pain. I think Tesla would point you to authorised bodyshops so it might get quite long to fix. One other point is that different glass can be with different tone, I mean colour from factory, not a tint.
Yes Im the one who mainly works on my cars, first a Nissan, then a Prius and now this Tesla. So I can humbly say that I'm quite handy. I've researched and watched some videos of people replacing the regulator and do mention what you can that while it is easy to take off (and therefore replace) it needs to be angled correctly to properly flush and seal with the rubber seal on top of the door. I have not thought about the different factory tint as I mainly found one from a Tesla no longer in service but do have tint applied and figured o would have to tint it anyways (which would be another added cost).

Yes Im the one who mainly works on my cars, first a Nissan, then a Prius and now this Tesla. So I can humbly say that I'm quite handy. I've researched and watched some videos of people replacing the regulator and do mention what you can that while it is easy to take off (and therefore replace) it needs to be angled correctly to properly flush and seal with the rubber seal on top of the door. I have not thought about the different factory tint as I mainly found one from a Tesla no longer in service but do have tint applied and figured o would have to tint it anyways (which would be another added cost).
I should mention that I've already contacted Tesla service via the app so I can get a rough estimate on how much it would be as I'm quite busy during the week and will only have time to fix it on the weekend so I would want to have everything done right the first.

No worries I appreciate any help I can get, I came across that post already and did provide a great deal of help. I took some time to remove the panel and inspect the window and fortunately I can confirm that my window is not damaged and is intact and in good condition. I don't know what the sound was but upon inspection I see that the cable from a pulley on the window regulator came undone. It was getting dark so I put everything aside for when I have more time but from what I saw it looks like all I have to do is connect the cable end to the pulley again I don't think it'll be as easy as it sounds. Thank you again for taking the time to responsed and ill report as I progress on this repair. In the end, if any of this helps even 1 person then it was worthwhile.

Reactions: KalJoMoS
Okay so after fiddling with the car in my spare time it turned out to be the window regulator, The window is a ok, I went to the service center who had a regular for 230 plus tax and simply dropped it in there, it was way easier than I thought it was going to be, nonetheless hopefully this post helps someone eventually.

Did you get the window aligned back thigh as should? There are these adjustment bolt’s (10mm if not right) but you presumably already know them…

8F817C82-DB1A-4C61-9861-491885678873.jpeg

F8E120DF-339F-4F9F-AA86-2587F756CCC4.jpeg

1C17E103-48C3-4453-BC91-3B5272EFC08C.jpeg

You're correct, they are 10 mm and yes when i was researching i found that that would be a tricky thing once i cross that bridge. But I took photos of both boths and used the wifes iphone with lidar to make rough estimates of measurements from one side to another to ensure they're more or less the same prior to my installation.

Reactions: KalJoMoS