Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rear Seat Head room?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Looks like Cybertruck has a very low ceiling for rear seat occupants. Front occupants heads are positioned near the peak while rear occupants heads are close to the end of the slope at the edge of the cabin.

Cybertruck has more ground clearance than an F-150 but it’s overall height is lower than an F-150. This tells me that the height of the body (floor to roof) of the Cybertruck is lower which can mean minimal head clearance. Tesla has used low sloping roofs in all of its cars but this is a negative for a truck.

I know a lot of the people who rode in the back for the reveal commented about how the headroom in the rear seat was plenty but are they comparing it to a Model X or an F-150/Silverado?

Looks like Cybertruck has a very low ceiling for rear seat occupants. Front occupants heads are positioned near the peak while rear occupants heads are close to the end of the slope at the edge of the cabin.

Cybertruck has more ground clearance than an F-150 but it’s overall height is lower than an F-150. This tells me that the height of the body (floor to roof) of the Cybertruck is lower which can mean minimal head clearance. Tesla has used low sloping roofs in all of its cars but this is a negative for a truck.

I know a lot of the people who rode in the back for the reveal commented about how the headroom in the rear seat was plenty but are they comparing it to a Model X or an F-150/Silverado?
Looked plenty to me. Not concerned in the least.

Dan

Reactions: Gentilly7
The extreme ground clearance was quoted as the maximum ground clearance with the adjustable suspension all the way up. The roof height being slightly lower than an F-150 is probably with the suspension in a differing position such as highway mode.

Thickness of the batteries / skateboard under the cab on the Tesla may differ from the conventional truck frame and undercarriage. Ground clearance on solid axles is typically from the bottom of the differential. The Tesla has independent rear suspension, so drive shafts can be angled down from a higher differential.

So its tough to compare the cab headroom. There was a superimposed comparison image posted earlier that might help.

Making more problems.

A 6'4" media guy was in the back seat with what he said was more than enough room, with 2 others in the backseat with him.

Have you watched any of the videos of the test rides?

This post make no sense.
You are hearing positive commentary and seeing video, but are instead choosing to ignore all that and instead take the pessimists viewpoint based on what you think it looks like from the outside?
What next, is there going to be a concern that the paint might scratch easily, because that would be bad for a truck - and ignore that it doesn't have paint?
:D:D

This post make no sense.
You are hearing positive commentary and seeing video, but are instead choosing to ignore all that and instead take the pessimists viewpoint based on what you think it looks like from the outside?
What next, is there going to be a concern that the paint might scratch easily, because that would be bad for a truck - and ignore that it doesn't have paint?
:D:D

Don’t get your panties in a bunch. Yes there are comments about the headroom being good in the back, but like the post said, is this compared to a Model S or an F-150? Are they really truck guys?

Last edited:
Making more problems.

A 6'4" media guy was in the back seat with what he said was more than enough room, with 2 others in the backseat with him.

Have you watched any of the videos of the test rides?

Making more problems? Toughen up bruh. I saw the video you are referencing before I made the post. Was 6’4” media guy comparing headroom to an F-150/Silverado?

• Disagree
Reactions: Electruck
Not sure why people feel the need to attack others for asking a question.. but ok.
My guess is the CT is going to feel like it has an enormous amount of headroom with the vaulted ceiling and glass roof. We don't know, but it seems like its lower at the back headrest, than say an F150, but the benefit will be the feeling of a massive interior ( again, all speculation).

• Informative
Not sure why people feel the need to attack others for asking a question.. but ok.
My guess is the CT is going to feel like it has an enormous amount of headroom with the vaulted ceiling and glass roof. We don't know, but it seems like its lower at the back headrest, than say an F150, but the benefit will be the feeling of a massive interior ( again, all speculation).
The roof may be lower at that point in total height but we don't really know how high up in the body the seats are mounted.

The question about the hard hat is valid for construction sites. There is more to headroom, however, than just the distance from the ceiling to the floor. It will also be affect to some degree by the height of the seat. It may only make a 1 inch difference, but that may be the difference between plenty for a hard hat and pressed against the ceiling. In my Ram there is more head room than needed for my use. That doesn't mean I want less, but I suspect 'plenty of headroom' means less than a current truck but more than a current car/suv/cuv. All of which, including trucks, have far less headroom than my tall lwb transit van. So, I think 'enough' is relevant to your most common head room experience and specific use. From the videos we've seen, it looks like a 6'2" man should have enough room for a hardhat (based on the stated height of 6'4" in the one video). Beyond that (and really including that) it's fun speculation. Maybe that dude was actually 5'11".

Making more problems? Toughen up bruh. I saw the video you are referencing before I made the post. Was 6’4” media guy comparing headroom to an F-150/Silverado?
I think the idea is that if 6’4” guy can sit in back at all, then there’s enough room. Speaking as a 6’5” guy, you either fit or you don’t. And if he does, well, most will. It’s a back seat after all, and pickup truck back seats are known to be some of the most cramped on earth. Oh ya, most people in this forum probably never had a pickup or sat in the back of one ha I forgot.

Regarding seat height making up for headroom, I just hope they don't over do it if that's the way they go. From the test rides it doesn't sound like there was any real compromise here, but I'm still firmly in the wait and see camp.

It’s a back seat after all, and pickup truck back seats are known to be some of the most cramped on earth. Oh ya, most people in this forum probably never had a pickup or sat in the back of one ha I forgot.

When was the last time you bought, or rode in, a four door truck? I seriously can't reconcile what you seem to be saying with my experiences over the last 20 years. What vehicles have better rear room?

well just look and compare
Cybertruck-Interior-Seats.jpg

16-f150-ltd-passsideviewint-mr-1.jpg

Front seats are very similar in their height/distance to the roof
Back seats on the F150 have a little more leg space (part of the reason why Tesla gets a 6.5ft bed into a 231in truck)
F150 has a few inches more headroom.

having said that, a full size guy should fit just fine in the back. The f150, like other trucks the last 10 years, has added length to their vehicles, mostly in the second row. There is almost too much space.

• Informative
I think the idea is that if 6’4” guy can sit in back at all, then there’s enough room. Speaking as a 6’5” guy, you either fit or you don’t. And if he does, well, most will. It’s a back seat after all, and pickup truck back seats are known to be some of the most cramped on earth. Oh ya, most people in this forum probably never had a pickup or sat in the back of one ha I forgot.

15 years we've had our F250 SuperCrew, 4 door. The back seat is huge, also @ 6'5" I can sleep in the backseat or under the topper, bruh. We've personally owned full size trucks for the last 25 years, had them on our farms forever.

NEVER in my life have I seen so much problem searching with an item, when you can watch dozens of YouTube videos and hear people clearly say ...."There's soooo much room!", and then ask about WHO was talking about comparing that room to vehicle Xxyz?!

If it appears that the CT is problematic for your life, don't buy it, get that deposit back so others can get in line. Bruh.

Reactions: Watts 4 Me