Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rear seat headphones?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You'll have to buy the hardware yourself, install it, and then find someone at Tesla who has gateway access IF feature configuration is required. If it's not, then a force install of the current firmware in the service menu would likely do the trick.
Don’t need the gateway access for this. Simply installing the module works. No software reinstall needed either.

Official retrofit is out https://service.tesla.com/docs/Serv...Rear_Touchscreen_Bluetooth_Audio_Retrofit.pdf

They actually do mention a gateway change (“frontUsbHubType” to 1), but I double checked my 2023 car (which came with the rear bluetooth), and mine has that set to 0. I might try changing it and see if anything changes.

Edit: So other than changing the description from "2" to "2_BT", there doesn't seem to be a functional change. And since cars with this from the factory have that config item set "wrong", I don't think there will be any real issue for anyone who DIY'd the retrofit.

Last edited:
Official retrofit is out https://service.tesla.com/docs/Serv...Rear_Touchscreen_Bluetooth_Audio_Retrofit.pdf

They actually do mention a gateway change (“frontUsbHubType” to 1), but I double checked my 2023 car (which came with the rear bluetooth), and mine has that set to 0. I might try changing it and see if anything changes.

Edit: So other than changing the description from "2" to "2_BT", there doesn't seem to be a functional change. And since cars with this from the factory have that config item set "wrong", I don't think there will be any real issue for anyone who DIY'd the retrofit.
Excellent, thanks! Now if only I could get my steering wheel a peeling so I can get a real horn button.

I asked about 2 weeks ago and was told it was only being replaced under warranty if peeling. Maybe I'll try again in a month...were you able to get yours replaced under warranty without any peeling?
Yes. Mine was replaced without any peeling. I did let them know that the horn was problematic and I could not honk a couple times when I needed it. This was just before a 3,000 mile road trip to SpaceX and back and I really wanted a properly functioning horn.

• Informative
Reactions: aerodyne