Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rear tires thread low alert for New Tires

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

GigaToronto

OD:Oct 15 EDD:May 28 VIN May 18 MYLR White/Tow
Apr 13, 2022
Toronto
Hey all, has anyone received this alert for rear tire tread depth low? I installed brand new 19 inch nokian hakkapeliitta r5 winter tires in November so the tread depth is definitely not low. I only received this alert yesterday and I have already rebooted the car but the alert remains. There is no info in the manual about resetting it. In the chat, the Tesla service rep says there is no mobile service for this alert and I would need to bring the car in. Although the Tesla SC isn’t far for me, I would prefer not having to go in for a silly alert and pay $90. Anyone have success getting rid of the alert without a service appointment?

Attachments

• EAD155D4-BE9F-4A66-A028-6370724A3D0D.jpeg
    EAD155D4-BE9F-4A66-A028-6370724A3D0D.jpeg
    509.1 KB · Views: 707
What are your tire pressures?

Is the tread worn considerably more in the rear than the front? How many miles has it been since November?

If the rears are indeed worn more, (Not worn out, but worn more) rotating the tires should get rid of this message since the fronts probably aren't worn much at all. There's no reset for it, the fix is to correct the wheel speed differential that is occurring between the front and rear axles. It's coming up for a reason - I highly doubt it's a nuisance or "silly" alert.

I had the same warning. Just do the following to clear the message:

Tire Configuration​

After the tires on Model Y are rotated or replaced, update your vehicle's tire configuration by touching Controls > Service > Wheel & Tire Configuration > Tires. This allows your vehicle to reset the learned tire settings and improve your driving experience.  This also clears and resets the tread wear alert for the vehicle until you travel 6,250 miles and low tread depth is detected again.

Is the tread worn considerably more in the rear than the front? How many miles has it been since November?

If the rears are indeed worn more, (Not worn out, but worn more) rotating the tires should get rid of this message since the fronts probably aren't worn much at all. There's no reset for it, the fix is to correct the wheel speed differential that is occurring between the front and rear axles. It's coming up for a reason - I highly doubt it's a nuisance or "silly" alert.
I have only driven 2000 KM or 1200 miles so if the tire thread is wearing down to the point where an alert is warranted then I have serious issues with the car. That is why I suspect that it is a false alert but I could be wrong. The alert specifies rear tire depth low and not that the rear is wearing out faster than front tires. Psi is 43 and fluctuates with toronto temperature.

Tire Configuration​

After the tires on Model Y are rotated or replaced, update your vehicle's tire configuration by touching Controls > Service > Wheel & Tire Configuration > Tires. This allows your vehicle to reset the learned tire settings and improve your driving experience.  This also clears and resets the tread wear alert for the vehicle until you travel 6,250 miles and low tread depth is detected again.
I will try this before my service appointment. Thanks!

Tire Configuration​

This totally worked and it even says that by doing so will clear the low tread depth alert. I swear the tire swagger option is new as I did select winter vs summer drop down before. I selected square for tire swagger and the alert went away. Thanks a million @Canefan456 . Your tip saved me $90 and a trip to the SC.

Attachments

• 4EE7AA53-A0D4-4E70-ACD8-2D8B6350E2E4.jpeg
    4EE7AA53-A0D4-4E70-ACD8-2D8B6350E2E4.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 316

I have had that message and can’t (don’t know how) to reset it? I called Tesla service; They sent a tech person, only to tell me that my rear tires (21’ on a 2022MYP) are not all that bad after 16K miles.. So I asked him to remove/reset that message.. Told me couldn’t do it because Tesla might be liable if anything happened 🤦🏻
Just now installed a rear Camber adjustable kit, had an all wheel alignment. It wasn’t so bad, but still stuck with that annoying message… help 🤷🏻‍♂️

I have had that message and can’t (don’t know how) to reset it? I called Tesla service; They sent a tech person, only to tell me that my rear tires (21’ on a 2022MYP) are not all that bad after 16K miles.. So I asked him to remove/reset that message.. Told me couldn’t do it because Tesla might be liable if anything happened 🤦🏻
Just now installed a rear Camber adjustable kit, had an all wheel alignment. It wasn’t so bad, but still stuck with that annoying message… help 🤷🏻‍♂️
IMG_3946.jpeg

Tire Configuration​

Thank you!
I had open a service request with tesla app. They quoted me $65..to verify that I had indeed installed brand new tires. Got a call and was told that since I did not change the tires at tesla I had to go in person to the service center.crazy

Reactions: Msicario
I just had this pop up for the first time on a 2018 M3 that now has 28K on it.. the right rear seems a tad more worn than the LEFT rear, and more than the fronts. I wonder what that issue is. I’m not at home at the moment and hope I can go 500 miles to get hope before having to deal with it. New tires were sort of in order as it is, but I’d rather do it comfortably at my home installer.

I don’t have my tire depth gauge in the car, do you think the old lincoln penny trick still applies? But honestly, I don’t know that i can find a penny either!

1) Buy a new tread depth gauge
2) How about LOOKING at the tread, checking the tire wear indicators? 🤣
3) Drop into any tire shop, they'll measure tread depth for you. It would be interesting to know the tread depth of your tires, and how the warning system determined there was an issue.

1) Buy a new tread depth gauge
2) How about LOOKING at the tread, checking the tire wear indicators? 🤣
3) Drop into any tire shop, they'll measure tread depth for you. It would be interesting to know the tread depth of your tires, and how the warning system determined there was an issue.
Thanks.. yeah I’m in a place where finding a new tread test device would be quite hard. I’ve looked at the treads and felt for the wear indicators, they seem to be just a TAD below the tread surface.

I certainly blame myself for looking frequently at the FRONTS, which seem to have quite a bit of tread on them and find it odd that the rears would be so much less, but certainly with a RWD only and strong regenerative braking, that could be understood. At least both rear DO seem similar. They will have to be replaced. I’m I guess hoping and betting that since I can’t feel the tread wear indicators at the absolute SURFACE of the tread (and normally they would indicate something like a bearing / bushing issue from sound, which i don’t hear. I guess it’s take it easy to get home 486 away.

Sidewalls seems fine, no radial exposed. But yeah, I let it get away from me and focused on fronts more often than all around. They have 28K on them, and were rotated 15K ago, so that’s certainly on me.

Now to find suitable replacements assuming my return journey is uneventful. Fingers crossed.

CA car? CA driving? If the tread is above the wear bars, traction should be excellent...except in the rain. All that torque, almost all of it in the rear (hence the more rapid wear!) could be entertaining in the wet. Be careful!

Lots of thread hear comparing various tires. Several options.

Short update… made it back home no problem, 500+ miles. Had the tread wear alert come up twice on that journey. Check all around the rear tires before the journey looking for any sidewall issues. Kept a close eye on everything PSI and wear on the journey, kept speed max to about 80.

Now home, I can check with tire tread depth gauge. Yeah, the rears are done, at 3mm center on the LR, and 2.9mm on the RR - I think that is the one that was throwing the error. Hard to tell though.

Oddly, the fronts are still about 6MM, maybe 6.5mm. I last rotated the tires about 15K miles ago, so while it’s odd that the rear have seen THAT much more degradation than the fronts, it’s not totally unexpected.

I’m thinking of just replacing the rears, but get another 3000-5000 miles out of the fronts maybe (that’s about a year of driving for me) - but KEEPING an eye on them closely. The fronts tread seems good from center to edge.

After the fronts are done in a year, I’ll ROTATE the new rears to the front, and put another set of NEW on the rear?

Any caution for that plan?

CA car? CA driving? If the tread is above the wear bars, traction should be excellent...except in the rain. All that torque, almost all of it in the rear (hence the more rapid wear!) could be entertaining in the wet. Be careful!

Lots of thread hear comparing various tires. Several options.
As crazy as it would sound, that morning that I was leaving on the return journey from Borrego Springs, going through the hills there, IT WAS RAINING! I ended up just taking it very slowly on the windy high elevation curves.