Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rear Tires Wear Faster

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My Tesla has the duel motor setup. One motor in front and one motor in the back. Obviously, the software has to keep these in sync so that one is not pushing or pulling against the other. I think that would be a bad situation.

So my question is this: If they are running in sync, why do the rear tires wear out faster than the fronts? There must be other factors involved here.

I have Model X and Model 3. Both are AWD. The Model X tires wear pretty much evenly as you can't even rotation the tires because front and rear are different sizes. For the Model 3, if you don't rotate the tires, the back wears out about 3x faster than the front. I don't know why either. I think the Model 3 (and probably same for Y) just put more torque in the rear wheels.

My Tesla has the duel motor setup. One motor in front and one motor in the back. Obviously, the software has to keep these in sync so that one is not pushing or pulling against the other. I think that would be a bad situation.

So my question is this: If they are running in sync, why do the rear tires wear out faster than the fronts? There must be other factors involved here.
Most of the time, only the rear motor is activated. The front motor is used during strong acceleration or when the rear wheel are spinning.

If you have an ODB2 App, like Scan My Tesla, you can check when the front motor is used.