Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rear usb-c ports ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Which iPhone are you using and have you used the iPhone and the cable with a USB-C charger before?

My iPhone X charges on the rear USB-C ports. I often charge my iPhone using a USB-C charger when I want a fast charge and I tested it in the car with an original Apple USB-C to lightning cable which I use already and so know it works.

I have an iPhone SE 2020 and have the same issue with the USB C Ports at the rear of the car. It is not a faulty cable, if I plug the cable in at the front USB C it works, as does wireless charging. Haven’t done anything about it thought I would wait and report it if any other issues cropped up.

Could be a faulty port. My work iPhone seems to charge ok, although I do go through a quadlock wireless charger. I can't think of a reason why the iPhone wouldn't charge if the port wasn't faulty it . iPhones don't do fast charging so it's not like it needs to draw more power.

• Disagree
Reactions: HenryT and Coley50
Thanks for this thread. I've already reported the same issue and requested a mobile repair (I live around 100 miles away from the Bristol Service Centre). I'll try an original Apple cable instead of the third-party cable that works everywhere else and see what happens....

Reactions: Roy W.
As above. Older iPhones default to the legacy method of using the potential on the data pins to tell the phone the available charge current from dumb USB ports, essentially any USB connection that the phone cannot initiate a smart connection with. I modded an adapter to enable my phone to charge from any USB-A port some time ago, just a matter of putting some resistors to connect two data lines to +5V and 0V, to fool the phone into thinking it was plugged in to an Apple charger. In typical Apple fashion they chose not to use the standard USB charge protocol. The difference between Apple's way of doing things and everyone else's is described here: Apple and other USB charger secrets |

Having said that, USB-C supports intelligent handshaking to set the charge current available, and also the charge voltage (USB-C allows up to 20 VDC at up to 5 A), and the Model 3 is supposed to have that intelligent handshaking enabled, as someone's done a tear down of the rear USB ports and it looked very much as if the proper USB voltage/current control was fully implemented. Newer Apple devices are supposed to be able to fully use USB-C, as Apple made the Thunderbolt 3 connection using the USB-C standard (but chose to give it their own name, again in true Apple fashion). Charging problems, and even damage to equipment, from using USB-C cables that don't have the correct internal pull-up resistor configuration is a known problem. Knowing whether a lead has the correct pull up resistor internally on the configuration channel pin seems to be a bit of a lottery, especially, perhaps, with cheaper cables originating from the far east.

• Informative
Reactions: ElRey and markrally