Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rear view camera stopped working

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anyone have any experience with the rear view camera setup? Mine stopped working shortly after I installed the lighted rear applique. Nothing in that install had anything to do with the camera so not sure what gives. Is there a fuse associated with the camera? I did restarts of both computers and no change. Checked the camera and doesn't look like anything can be unplugged there either.

When installing the rear applique, did you need to dremel out parts of the black plastic mounting bracket? (It depends on which version of the applique you are installing.)

The cable for the rear camera runs through/behind the bracket, so if you're not careful, it's possible to nick the cable and kill the camera.

Good news is if it is the camera or cable, it's a pretty easy to replace.

• Informative
Reactions: Akikiki and mrElbe
Congratulations on the installation of the lighted rear applique. Welcome to that club. Those of us that have also done it know the effort required for a first time effort.

I agree with Hank above. Since you are familiar with the applique now, you know that you can pop the handhold for the liftgate out. And with some twisting and turning, you should be able to disconnect the existing rear camera. If you gain access to another, you can test the whether its the camera with little effort.

lol, I think I'll find out tonight, I'm thinking I must have hit the cable not knowing it was right there, stupid mistake.

So does the cable for the camera just plug in to something attached to the rear lift gate innards? I remember looking around in there trying to figure out where the camera cable comes from, but not sure I ever really saw exactly. Would much prefer to not take all that trim off again, they weren't lying about it being difficult to put back together or take apart on your own.

Nothing like having the feeling of getting it all working and buttoned up and then go to pull into the garage to a blank screen, uh well $hit how did that happen lol. My 2016 P100D with a fancy new applique and broken camera one step forward, one step back.

So does the cable for the camera just plug in to something attached to the rear lift gate innards? I remember looking around in there trying to figure out where the camera cable comes from, but not sure I ever really saw exactly. Would much prefer to not take all that trim off again, they weren't lying about it being difficult to put back together or take apart on your own.

You'll need a new camera. Luckily, they're pretty cheap either from Amazon ($40) or Tesla ($80). The cable goes from the camera to a small metal bracket where it plugs into another cable. You can see this bracket if you pull off the door-pull handhold and look in there with a light.

Nothing like having the feeling of getting it all working and buttoned up and then go to pull into the garage to a blank screen, uh well $hit how did that happen lol. My 2016 P100D with a fancy new applique and broken camera one step forward, one step back.

You can do it all through the handhold hole, but as I said, you need small, limber hands. If you can't do it that way, yes, you'll have to pull down the trim.

And yes, when we installed my rear applique, I drove away before knowing the rear camera was out. I had to wait about a month before I could get it fixed.

Thanks for the info Hank, I'll take a look tonight....I would bet money that's what I did. Wonder how easy it is to get to the model X camera, my wife may not like it but I could nab hers and try it out lol.

Happen to have the link for the amazon camera handy by chance?