Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rear window cracking... 2019 M3 Performance

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Noticed rear window cracking - from the base of the window upwards. I do have a tint on the window, but do not believe this is the issue or likely to lead to material failure.

I severely doubt that I will get the value of the 3M ceramic tint back from Tesla, but... lets see how the experience goes.

To be honest, this looks like an inevitability given how flexible the BIW is, with a large inflexible glass roof / greenhouse area. A problem waiting to happen imho when driving around off camber or steep terrain like around the Bay Area.

Im not a fan of a lot of glass anyways, having ended up upside down in an F Type R... I recommend metal roofs in real world savage crashes..

Here we go...

Unfortunately most windows aren’t cracking. Not saying you don’t have a defect, but I wouldn’t argue a design flaw as you will lose.

The rule seems to be if they can run a fingernail along the crack on the outside and have it catch that means something hit it, which means dial up insurance. And even if it doesn’t catch no guarantees. I’d also prepare to pay for new tint out of pocket.

My top roof was installed pretty far off center, and rather than argue how that might impact future cracks I said that it prevented me from safely installing a roof rack (which I had no plans to do but it made my case).

They did state its a manufacturing flaw. (careful not to say design flaw, but a large glasshouse inevitably will face this issue torsionally etc). The service team could not do enough to be helpful - replaced it that afternoon. Collecting today. I have to say, from time to time, the service that I have had from Berkely team is on a par with the service i used to get from my Jag team - super polite, helpful, smooth and professional as well as fast. They are a credit to the Tesla company to be honest - not every dealership or service centre is like that (everyone is human) - but for sure, credit where credit is due. They cleaned the glass in front of me, then examined it and checked it out - no impacts. I did say that but they needed to check, which I totally understand.

Reactions: Vaillant
There will always be an issue with glass over a large expanse... torsional forces on a flexible thing is fine for metal which is much more ductile and flexible than glass is/can be, especially lighter weight steels and titanium etc.. We need some "transparent aluminium". This is will always be an inherent risk with a large span of glass - it is not a good use case. Looks good though. I wish I had the option of a metal roof. I would rather not have to buy European for a decently engineered BIW... battery and other tech aside.. I just saw a motherlode of similar customer issues on other forums with the model 3 glass. Looks like it wasnt just me...

• Disagree
Reactions: DDHEverything
They did state its a manufacturing flaw. (careful not to say design flaw, but a large glasshouse inevitably will face this issue torsionally etc). The service team could not do enough to be helpful - replaced it that afternoon. Collecting today. I have to say, from time to time, the service that I have had from Berkely team is on a par with the service i used to get from my Jag team - super polite, helpful, smooth and professional as well as fast. They are a credit to the Tesla company to be honest - not every dealership or service centre is like that (everyone is human) - but for sure, credit where credit is due. They cleaned the glass in front of me, then examined it and checked it out - no impacts. I did say that but they needed to check, which I totally understand.
I think there was some batch of glass that had the stress crack issue (which your car seems to fall under, which is why it's replaced under warranty). Since then they have gone through a few revisions already. I don't think it's a design issue, just that the specific glass they had was prone to this issue.
Replacing Rear Glass after Stress Crack Formed

From reading a few threads, they do check however for signs of impact, as obviously that would not be covered under warranty (instead you would have to claim under your insurance).

Interesting you were able to get it fixed same day. My 2021 is still waiting for the part to come in through the same service center, but I guess the part number may be different due to being a 2021 model. My rear glass is getting replaced for a cut through the heating element on the inside (which they probably did when removing tape when preparing for delivery, I've read in the forums that can happen when they use a blade to do so).

I do agree they are quite polite and fast when you go in (I did for my first visit for some delivery paint issues).

Noticed rear window cracking - from the base of the window upwards. I do have a tint on the window, but do not believe this is the issue or likely to lead to material failure.

I severely doubt that I will get the value of the 3M ceramic tint back from Tesla, but... lets see how the experience goes.

To be honest, this looks like an inevitability given how flexible the BIW is, with a large inflexible glass roof / greenhouse area. A problem waiting to happen imho when driving around off camber or steep terrain like around the Bay Area.

Im not a fan of a lot of glass anyways, having ended up upside down in an F Type R... I recommend metal roofs in real world savage crashes..

Here we go...

The glass roof is stronger than a metal roof. It's true. Look up roof strength test from the testing agencies.

I had the same issue on my 2019. M3P-. I snapped a pic, put in a service request through app, dropped it off at Tesla a few mornings later and picked it up at noon the same day. Warranty replacement, zero hassle, couldn't be easier. I had tint on the window that cracked, but never really liked how dark it was with the tint and I've gone with an untinted rear since then and like it much better.

Reactions: BayAreaCelt