Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Replacing Rear Glass after Stress Crack Formed

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

GolanB

Supporting Member
Sep 22, 2018
NYC
I reported this issue to Tesla last week via the App; got a callback yesterday a day before my scheduled appointment stating they were still waiting for parts. I'm one of several cars in this region awaiting replacement glass. The glass arrived an hour or so after my initial appointment, and they called me back to reschedule for next week. They said most people don't like showing up at the service center first thing in the morning, so I was able to get an 8:15 AM slot. If I heard correctly, the cars need to stay in for about a day and a half to two days to "cure." Replacement vehicles are subject to availability, but they offer credits on Uber and Lyft - given where I drive daily, it will probably be cheaper for Tesla to rent a car at a car rental place.

They also offered to install my badge (which I'm not having installed) and the spoiler.

I asked in a text message about HW v3 install timelines, but I'm still waiting for a response on that one.

IMG_5275.jpeg

Sounds like a good experience! Mine was a different looking crack oriented around the heat strips. I believe they no longer turn those on when pre-heating the car. Nonetheless, great experience. In and out same day. No further issues. ...and the new glass that I got has the orange tint!

• Informative
Reactions: cwerdna
Sounds like a good experience! Mine was a different looking crack oriented around the heat strips. I believe they no longer turn those on when pre-heating the car. Nonetheless, great experience. In and out same day. No further issues. ...and the new glass that I got has the orange tint!

Overall, I'd say the response time has been better than what I anticipated, given everything I've heard others going through.

What is interesting is that I noticed several months after picking up my car I saw what looked like suction cup marks on the inside of the front-windshield (they became noticeable only after the windows had fogged up). It made me wonder whether or not the windshield had been replaced before my delivery, or whether these were common as part of the windshield installation as part of typical assembly at the Tesla factory.

I just discovered this on my car too. Identical kind of crack. I thought it was some mylar ribbon or debris that was down there, but it's definitely the glass. It's not even cold where I am (Seattle area), so it is odd that it cracked.
0boQD70.jpg

Last edited:
  • Informative
I just discovered this on my car too. Identical kind of crack. I thought it was some mylar ribbon or debris that was down there, but it's definitely the glass. It's not even cold where I am (Seattle area), so it is odd that it cracked.

Mine formed while the car had been parked for several days. Its been getting warm here in NYC, with temperatures rising above 120 degrees inside the car. I suspect that temperature has an impact, but is not the cause of the fractures. From what I understand, the force of installation can weaken the glass, and sometimes there may be tension on the glass that eventually results in the fracture we see. I've also heard that there may have been manufacturing problems with the glass. Perhaps others on the forum can comment on this.

• Informative
Mine formed while the car had been parked for several days. Its been getting warm here in NYC, with temperatures rising above 120 degrees inside the car. I suspect that temperature has an impact, but is not the cause of the fractures. From what I understand, the force of installation can weaken the glass, and sometimes there may be tension on the glass that eventually results in the fracture we see. I've also heard that there may have been manufacturing problems with the glass. Perhaps others on the forum can comment on this.

Glad to hear they took care of you. I have emails in to my local SC, and tacked this onto an existing appointment for a malfunctioning charge port!

Wanted to provide an update and speak a little bit about my experience.

Overall the experience was positive. I was in text communication with an advisor ahead of my scheduled appointment and was even told the best time to arrive (first thing in the morning). I scheduled an 8:15 am appointment and pulled in to the service center on time.

On arrival, the Service Advisor collected my Tesla Key, and a technician asked me if it would be OK to disable my PIN. Meanwhile, my service advisor asked if I needed transportation, but was not able to offer me a car, so I got Lyft Credits instead. Since I drive out of state, she provided me enough to get me there and back (totaling hundreds of dollars). She said that their goal was to get the work completed that day, but I got the sense from her tone that was going to be a best-case scenario and that the car would need an overnight stay to cure the glass adhesive properly.

The following morning, I was in text communication again and told I'd be hearing from them soon with status as to where we were in the queue. Several hours later Tesla got back to me and let me know the work order was complete and asked what time the next morning I'd be available to pick up the car. Due to the additional day in the service queue, I was offered additional Lyft credits (which I declined).

The App was informative, and also let me know when the car would be complete and ready for pickup. Interestingly, it informed me I could pick up the car already, but I knew that it would need to stay overnight. It is best to let glass adhesive cure properly because the glass forms part of the structural integrity of the car, without which safety can be compromised.

Tesla also took the opportunity to install my spoiler, and I declined to get the car badged (my kids wanted it, and I think the car looks better in its pure minimalism).

I have seen many posted on "glass cracks", what was wrong with the glass and how did they fix it?

People are saying a few things: The first is that there was a production issue with the defrost heating elements running too hot - in combination with cold weather caused it. I've also heard that if too much stress is applied during the initial installation of the window, it can weaken the glass ahead of an eventual fracture. Finally, I've heard that the Glass also forms an important part of the structure of the car, and if there is stress on the glass due to the way its been installed, it can fracture on its own. I've also heard there were manufacturing defects with the glass. Its probably some combination of the above. The tech mentioned to me that its a newer design now - he's seen about 10 come through so far.

Had mine replaced also. It was same day in and out and they gave me a loaner to explore Chicago. There was tape on the glass they told me to leave on for 24 hours, but it was a good experience for me as well. And they badged my car while they were at it (they did ask me first)

Rear glass is apparently backordered several weeks here in Seattle. Tesla cancelled my original appointment request, and said I should expect a call from my local service center to schedule when the part is available. It would have been nice if the service center just looked the email I sent them when I originally discovered the issue, to proactively order the glass, instead of having someone in Tesla HQ triage the service request three business days before my scheduled appointment.

Sigh...

Does the replacement glass have the orange hue? I need to replace mine due to defrost damage and am really hoping they brought this back for new glass.

People are saying a few things: The first is that there was a production issue with the defrost heating elements running too hot - in combination with cold weather caused it. I've also heard that if too much stress is applied during the initial installation of the window, it can weaken the glass ahead of an eventual fracture. Finally, I've heard that the Glass also forms an important part of the structure of the car, and if there is stress on the glass due to the way its been installed, it can fracture on its own. I've also heard there were manufacturing defects with the glass. Its probably some combination of the above. The tech mentioned to me that its a newer design now - he's seen about 10 come through so far.
I meant to respond to this post in reference to if your replacement glass has the orange hue as well. Thanks

I just had my rear roof glass replaced and it does not have the orange UV coating (neither did the original glass). $800 installed from Safelite. They were able to get the glass from Tesla in under a week and the process and experience was very good. The cause was a rock impact.

There’s been quite a few posts regarding the panoramic roof and the rear glass cracking without any apparent impact. Did they replace it for you under warranty and did you get a sense that they were alluding these issues to a manufacturing defect? Since there’s a new design as you reported I wonder what VIN ranges have been having issues with stress cracks and the rear defrosters? Thanks for the write up.

I meant to respond to this post in reference to if your replacement glass has the orange hue as well. Thanks

My recollection, as well as the recollection of the kids, is that the rear glass never had an orange hue -- at any rate, we had a chance to observe the phenomenon today as light rain fell, and the orange hue was only visible in the mid-section on the forward glass.

There’s been quite a few posts regarding the panoramic roof and the rear glass cracking without any apparent impact. Did they replace it for you under warranty and did you get a sense that they were alluding these issues to a manufacturing defect? Since there’s a new design as you reported I wonder what VIN ranges have been having issues with stress cracks and the rear defrosters? Thanks for the write up.

To answer, they did replace it under warranty, and I did get a sense that this was a manufacturing defect and that the formulation and design of the glass may have changed. Interestingly, according to my service advisor, Tesla does not always provide full information even to the employees working there, "they don't tell us everything..." was her response when I initially asked this question. The employee who drove my car out of the waiting bay mentioned that I got a newer design and that he hoped I wouldn't come back again for this issue.

I'm driving a 2018 Performance Model 3, with the VIN range in 50K.

Here is the actual work-order printed on the invoice:

Screen Shot 2019-05-11 at 10.12.13 PM.png

• Informative
Reactions: C141medic
My recollection, as well as the recollection of the kids, is that the rear glass never had an orange hue -- at any rate, we had a chance to observe the phenomenon today as light rain fell, and the orange hue was only visible in the mid-section on the forward glass.
The hue is mainly visible with a light mist or rain and you would def notice, it's quite a spectacle. The full glass will have the coating just more pronounced with the section that is tinted. If you tint the glass it will be uniform.

The hue is mainly visible with a light mist or rain and you would def notice, it's quite a spectacle. The full glass will have the coating just more pronounced with the section that is tinted. If you tint the glass it will be uniform.

Even at night it is visible with a tiny bit of light refraction. Here is how it looks - going front to back, and then front once more. You'll see the hue only on the front section.