Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rear windows going 1/3 of the way down when you exit?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was just curious if anyone else has had this happen?

Both of the rear doors today have rolled down maybe 1/3 of the way (they were all the way up before pressing the door release button) when exiting and then did not go back up when the door was closed. It has happened once on each side.

I just picked the car up from service yesterday where one of the things they did was replace the glass on both sides due to a big oops while in their custody.

The first time it happened this morning I didn't catch it in the dark when it happened to my daughter and the car got soaked from hard rain all day. Luckily it didn't get broken into. I thought perhaps this might have been a mistake on my daughter's part, but it happened again this evening on the other side. I watched her press the door release button then exit then close the door and it was down 1/3 of the way. Luckily I caught it this time.

Has any else had this happen before perhaps?

Yes, it has been reported by other people. There are three possibilities:

- The windows may be mis-calibrated. You can try to re-calibrate them by rolling them all the way down and keeping the button pressed for 5 more seconds, then rolling them all the way up and again keeping the button pressed for 5 more seconds.
- If this only happens when you get out of the car: it is easily possible to roll down the rear windows by mistake when the driver gets out of the car. This happened to me once or twice because I tend to place my hand very close to the window buttons when pushing the door open. I have now trained myself to avoid this area.
- You could have a defective control module.

I was just curious if anyone else has had this happen?

Both of the rear doors today have rolled down maybe 1/3 of the way (they were all the way up before pressing the door release button) when exiting and then did not go back up when the door was closed. It has happened once on each side.

I just picked the car up from service yesterday where one of the things they did was replace the glass on both sides due to a big oops while in their custody.

The first time it happened this morning I didn't catch it in the dark when it happened to my daughter and the car got soaked from hard rain all day. Luckily it didn't get broken into. I thought perhaps this might have been a mistake on my daughter's part, but it happened again this evening on the other side. I watched her press the door release button then exit then close the door and it was down 1/3 of the way. Luckily I caught it this time.

Has any else had this happen before perhaps?
Looks like a service call.

I don't know the details of your last service appointment...so I can't take anyone's side or speak to that, however a service call would be necessary IMO.

Or as you say...you can wait it out.

While in service's custody for a month to fix delivery defects, every single piece of glass on the car was damaged and replaced. Door panels and other plastic scratched from the glass replacements. Front bumper damaged by them and repaired/repainted but not documented on the RO. Original repair order still not complete but car handed back to me and told they will finish the rest with mobile service in the future when parts come in. They wanted to say they attempted repair so they could stop the clock before it hit 30 business days so it didn't hit lemon criteria. Plenty more unfortunates I am not mentioning with the staff. Not a group I feel comfortable dealing with again but service center's are very sparse in my area.

I have rebooted the car and performed the reset on both of the rear windows, guess I will have to see if it reoccurs... Thanks for the comments. Will update if it happens again.
How do you reboot the car? Is there anything else I c addn do about this? I’ve been having the same issue - windows open on their own. sometimes just a bit as if to sir out the car. A few days ago the front passenger window was completely down (and it was on the street) and tonight I came out of my office and the rear door was completely open and I don’t know how long it was open - luckily nothing was stolen from the car.