TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

Reason why Tesla does not offer bike hitch rack

Discussion in 'Model X: Driving Dynamics' started by dark, Jan 29, 2017.

1. dark

dark Member

I went with an after market bike hitch rack instead of the Tesla bike mount rack.

I really like this setup except the problem I have with my bike hitch rack is the parking sensors going all crazy. I don't want to activate tow mode since it disable my suspension and drive assist.

Any thoughts to make this work? IMG_20170113_091830.jpg

2. Drewflux

Drewflux Member

Wild idea. Duct tape the sensors. Most ultrasonic sensors will not operate if you can block the out going signal. A few manufacturers still do it today when fitting things like nudge bars, although the official procedures are to apply foam over the end of the sensor and tape in place

3. goneskiian

goneskiian Active Member

This is an issue with other vehicles as well. Just use it and ignore the sensors. Works just fine for me. Only sets off the sensors when backing so be extra careful it's clear behind you!

I think the "park assist" warning has even stopped chiming with every slow to a stop I perform. Which is nice. That's what annoyed me most. I'll verify next time I'm out.

4. vandacca

vandacca ReActive Member

I've permanently turned off my parking sensors, problem fixed. Now when I reverse with the bike hitch, it's a lot more sane in the vehicle.

5. MX458Dave

MX458Dave Member

get a $35 hitch extender. The rack sits one foot farther out, but the sensors do not go off. Bonus: You can open your rear hatch even with a closely loaded rack.