Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Reboot required to regain connectivity

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This problem has been occurring for some time now and I’m surprised the developers haven’t fixed it yet.

I park in an underground garage every day. There is no cell reception inside the garage. Once I exit the garage, my iPhone immediately regains cell reception. However, the 3 sometimes never regains cell service. I have to manually reboot the screen in order to restore connectivity.

This is an inconvenience because I depend on real-time traffic data to be displayed on the center screen. I shouldn’t have to reboot my screen each time I exit the garage in order to restore that functionality.

I’m on 2019.24.x but this bug has persisted across several firmware versions. Hoping that the developers recognize that this is somewhat urgent and they can patch their code accordingly.

had a similar bug where my GPS never reactivated. at the same time, my cameras all werent working (which made autopilot not possible and rear view camera wouldnt pull up). probably not related but i did a "HARD" reset and it hasnt happened since. have you been doing hard or soft?

I sometimes have this issue after driving through areas with no AT&T coverage. I've not been able to pick up on any pattern - the car will get back on LTE on its own accord about half the times and will require an MCU reboot the other half. I know it doesn't depend on how long I was without service or whether I've stopped and let the car sleep while in the dead zone.

M3 LR RWD, July, 2018 build.

I am having the same issue after every firmware update since 2019.24. It takes multiple reboots and with the last two updates it has taken one or more complete power-downs to restore LTE connectivity. I have also been in areas where sparse to no cell service and had no navigation in an area that I did not know. Again, took multiple reboots and a power down to finally fix it.

I was told it could be a hardware issue and a tech is supposed to be diagnosing. I have an appointment scheduled for next Friday at the closest service center (90 mi. one-way). I may defer the appointment until this is fully diagnosed, they have the part in stock and can fix it in one day. Was told by a person on-site at the service center that the loaners are reserved for S and X owners only at this particular service center. Since I bough a 3, no loaner for me.

had a similar bug where my GPS never reactivated. at the same time, my cameras all werent working (which made autopilot not possible and rear view camera wouldnt pull up). probably not related but i did a "HARD" reset and it hasnt happened since. have you been doing hard or soft?

There is only one reset option and that is pressing both scroll wheels. That reboots the ICE. Over the years some folks swore that pressing the brake pedal at the same time would do a “hard” reset but this has been proven false.