Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Recalibrating Rearview Camera?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
After several right rear wheel curb rash incidents marring my Uberturbine rims, I realize that the lines on the rear view camera are not correctly identifying the wheel travel, but the line is outside of the trajectory, hence the wheel scaping the curb before I know it.

Is there a way to recalibrate the camera, to show actual trajectory of the wheels?

No, Tesla doesn't offer the ability to change anything really, but I don't think any OEM offers the ability to adjust parking lines like the aftermarket cameras do (out of necessity).

Yeah, I've found it hard to figure out where the curb is as well. Neither the mirror nor the camera seem to provide a good indication. It'd sure be nice if they drew the curb on the screen alongside the cartoon car and beeped accordingly (with directional beeps of course).

After several right rear wheel curb rash incidents marring my Uberturbine rims, I realize that the lines on the rear view camera are not correctly identifying the wheel travel, but the line is outside of the trajectory, hence the wheel scaping the curb before I know it.

Is there a way to recalibrate the camera, to show actual trajectory of the wheels?
The lines are not precise. I used the side mirrors tilted downward. You should be able to put the car into Reverse, adjust the mirrors, and save your profile. Then, when putting the car into Reverse, the mirrors should give you a decent view of the curb edge and how close they are to your rims. I used this (on my S) and my rims stayed mark-free.

It's in the Model 3 Owner's Manual, page 47* "Mirror Auto Tilt."

* US version, 2021.32 - different versions might be on a different page.

The lines are not precise. I used the side mirrors tilted downward. You should be able to put the car into Reverse, adjust the mirrors, and save your profile. Then, when putting the car into Reverse, the mirrors should give you a decent view of the curb edge and how close they are to your rims. I used this (on my S) and my rims stayed mark-free.

* US version, 2021.32 - different versions might be on a different page.
Great post! Thank you.

The arc lines on the rear view mirror provides guidance on the outer dimension + margin envelope of the car for guidance . It is not designed to map the arc or path of the wheels. I think this is how it works on all other vehicles.

On second thought, this is not working at all:
I put the car in reverse, adjusted the rear view mirrors so that I could see the rear wheel wells, then saved the settings. But after readjusting the mirrors for forward travel (necessary, because that setting is not retained after reverse setting) and saving that, the reverse settings default to an angle that's useless for this task because the mirrors' travel range is limited for some reason - I cannot adjust them to stay in a position where they tilt down and inward far enough to show the wheel area.

"Calibration usually takes 20-25 miles to complete, however the distance depends on the route and ambient circumstances. Model 3 can calibrate faster when driving on a straight route with clearly visible lane lines. The Autopilot capabilities are ready to utilise once the calibration is finished. Only contact Tesla if your Model 3 hasn't finished the calibration process after 100 miles of driving "

Recalibrating the car's position vis a vis the white/yellow lane markers is not the subject of this thread. Or am I misunderstanding something?

I was talking about the external mirror adjustment which has a mechanical up-and down-limit that prevents correct view of the rear wheel well, to correctly gauge how much margin I have before scraping the rims against the curb, AND, in forward drive setting, affords correct view of other cars left and right of me. You get one or the other but not both.

Last edited: