Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Recalibration of Charge Port

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi folks,

My charge port door operates fine, the light comes on when charging, it opens and closes OK, charges OK. however there is an error message on the dashboard: "charge port needs service, contact service when convenient"

I had this issue late last year as well, and a service technician just came out to parking lot when i mentioned it in passing to "recalibrate" it. it took less than 10 mins to reset.

The car is now out of warranty, but Tesla insists on charging a "standard diagnostic fee" of $175 to just look at the issue and reset it. It seems I'm not alone, there's others that have seen similar issue:

Charging Port Door Needs Replacement Fix:

Charge Port Door Needs to be Replaced...

Any thoughts if there's a way to reset / re calibrate without going to Tesla? I'm a little ticked off having to pay $175 for them to just reset it...especially because less than a year ago they already reset it

thoughts?

I have zero experience here, so my advice is worth what it costs you, but-

The charge port has a little round nub inside it, like a rubber stopper. It is adjustable and itself is a pressure switch for opening the door when you push on the charger door. Try adjusting it in or out a bit and perhaps your issue goes away.

My guess is that's what the 10 minute fix was last time b

I have zero experience here, so my advice is worth what it costs you, but-

The charge port has a little round nub inside it, like a rubber stopper. It is adjustable and itself is a pressure switch for opening the door when you push on the charger door. Try adjusting it in or out a bit and perhaps your issue goes away.

My guess is that's what the 10 minute fix was last time b

Thanks for the feedback. when you say adjusting it in or out, can you clarify what that means? how would i make it more "protruding out" vs "protruding in"? or did you mean moving it around?

Your message made me uncover that while I can press on the port to open, i can no longer "flick" it to close. I usually don't close it since it closes itself after driving off

tried rotating. didn't help. i tried both extremes, and 2 middle settings

after each i did a center console reset and the odometer screen reset to be safe. no dice

this morning i drove around hoping it would reset, but it didnt....

other thoughts?

If the OP's car is one with a motorized charge port door, then the fix was probably connecting Toolbox and running a recalibration routine.
the service manual mentions:

Using Toolbox 3: Select the Actions tab and search for "Door sensor calibration".

Does this imply even if someone were to replace a defective charge port door on their own, they would still require Tesla to calibrate it before the errors go away?

2015 Models S 85D, Does anyone know if the charge port door requires calibration or not? I replaced the charge port door myself on May 13th, 2023 and it broke into pieces 3 weeks later. I spoke to Tesla Service Center and they said that would not warranty it because that requires calibration after installation or will try to open too far and will break like that. What are your thoughts? Thank you in advance.

Attachments

• ChargeDoor.jpg
    ChargeDoor.jpg
    189.1 KB · Views: 92