Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Received key fob but unable to add key (no “+” icon on version 9)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

MSM3

Dec 12, 2018
CA
hey guys, I tried searching the forums but nothing came up - could someone advise how I can link a key fob to the car?
Previously there was a “+” icon in the keys tab, but it’s no longer there for me in version 9.
I’ve tried rebooting / factory reset to no avail.

Photo

Attachments

• 11204EF1-1DC5-480E-8947-9326112A3133.png
    11204EF1-1DC5-480E-8947-9326112A3133.png
    3 MB · Views: 109
Ha. She says "37, I think", so that's probably it. Cell service isn't the best there, and they haven't been able to get it on WiFi yet, so updates have been slow in coming.

If we can't get the WiFi connected, might head it over to the SC for a quick update.

Thanks!

Ha. She says "37, I think", so that's probably it. Cell service isn't the best there, and they haven't been able to get it on WiFi yet, so updates have been slow in coming.

If we can't get the WiFi connected, might head it over to the SC for a quick update.

Thanks!
We just checked... V9.0 (2018.39.7.1)

So, the "+" should be on the screen? We're not seeing it.

According to the records I kept on the specific updates that have been installed on my car, key fob support is in 2018.42.3, but not in 2018.39.7. You need a software update to have key fob support. My Model 3 got the 2018.42.3 update on Nov 2, so about 7 weeks ago. The version you are on 2018.39.7.1) was compiled in the 39th week of the year (Sep 24-30) and went out to customer vehicles in mid-October.

For people that are not on the latest firmware version (I'm on 2018.48.12.1), be sure there is wi-fi where your vehicle is parked at night. Obviously, you also need to make sure your Tesla is logged into the wi-fi network. You want a strong wi-fi signal (3 out of 4 bars on the signal meter). You may need to add a wi-fi repeater to your home network to get a good signal in your garage. If you have verified your Tesla is connected to a good wi-fi signal at night for at least a week and you still are on a version of software that is several months old, contact Tesla Support for assistance.

According to the records I kept on the specific updates that have been installed on my car, key fob support is in 2018.42.3, but not in 2018.39.7. You need a software update to have key fob support. My Model 3 got the 2018.42.3 update on Nov 2, so about 7 weeks ago. The version you are on 2018.39.7.1) was compiled in the 39th week of the year (Sep 24-30) and went out to customer vehicles in mid-October.

For people that are not on the latest firmware version (I'm on 2018.48.12.1), be sure there is wi-fi where your vehicle is parked at night. Obviously, you also need to make sure your Tesla is logged into the wi-fi network. You want a strong wi-fi signal (3 out of 4 bars on the signal meter). You may need to add a wi-fi repeater to your home network to get a good signal in your garage. If you have verified your Tesla is connected to a good wi-fi signal at night for at least a week and you still are on a version of software that is several months old, contact Tesla Support for assistance.
Ok, thanks for the specifics on needing 42.3. The car is not currently on WiFi, which has been another challenge. Their home wifi does not quite make the trip to their garage, and when they park the car in front of the house, adding it manually (the network is hidden) doesn't connect.

We tried adding my cell phone as a tether, and that worked, but only if we let the car find the signal on its own. Adding it manually did not work. I suggested they create a visible (but still password protected) "Guest" network, and to try that. Crossing our fingers that will work, though they still have the issue with WiFi making the trip to the garage. I think an extender will be required. She does have the unlimited cellular plan in the car (ordered the car prior to it going away), and the car sits with good coverage during the workday, but for some reason it's been very slow to update.

Ok, thanks for the specifics on needing 42.3. The car is not currently on WiFi, which has been another challenge. Their home wifi does not quite make the trip to their garage, and when they park the car in front of the house, adding it manually (the network is hidden) doesn't connect.

We tried adding my cell phone as a tether, and that worked, but only if we let the car find the signal on its own. Adding it manually did not work. I suggested they create a visible (but still password protected) "Guest" network, and to try that. Crossing our fingers that will work, though they still have the issue with WiFi making the trip to the garage. I think an extender will be required. She does have the unlimited cellular plan in the car (ordered the car prior to it going away), and the car sits with good coverage during the workday, but for some reason it's been very slow to update.

Buy one of these and put the WiFi transmitter in the garage. Just make sure each end’s outlet is on the same line bus in your electrical panel otherwise it may not work.

https://www.amazon.com/TP-Link-AV10...i+extender&dpPl=1&dpID=41NUcsY11aL&ref=plSrch

Buy one of these and put the WiFi transmitter in the garage. Just make sure each end’s outlet is on the same line bus in your electrical panel otherwise it may not work.

https://www.amazon.com/TP-Link-AV10...i+extender&dpPl=1&dpID=41NUcsY11aL&ref=plSrch
Thanks for the suggestion. That's already "Plan A". Plan B is to re-arrange stuff a little to put the WiFi AP in a better spot, or to add another AP in a mesh network. They have some constraints in terms of how the network is positioned, and the garage is detached and some distance behind the house (with underground power), so it's going to take some experimentation to get a good signal everywhere it's needed, and with good latency where that is important (for gaming...).

I called Tesla service center and they were able to “hammer” an OTA update for me - about 5 days later.

The rep said all OTA needs wifi now. I asked about having premium connectivity and they