Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Recent heat pump failures - software issue?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Dec 28, 2021
Picked up my 2022 M3 LR on 12/28. had 4 miles on the odometer. Outside temp at pickup was 32 F. Drove about 15 minutes and realized that the heat wasn't working. Turned around and got back to Tesla. Told them I wasn't making the 435 mile drive home with no heat. They were super apologetic and nice and fixed the issue.
Jan 05, 2022
Car was in for Ceramic coat. The detailer calls me and says that some green liquid has leaked under the car. I called Tesla and was able to get an appointment the very next day. They ended up replacing the Super Manifold. they actually fixed it while my wife waited. They even got her an uber to Enterprise rental and told her to pick out any car for the 2-3 hour wait. So she could finish her errands.
Jan 29, 2022
Outside temp 63 F. We drover 50+ miles to do some shopping. Stopped at a Supercharger since I had free referral miles. We were directly in the sun and so we turned the AC on. It made a weird whining noise and so I turned it off. After a few minutes, I turn it back on and we get the message "Cabin Climate Control System requires Service" VCFRONT_a447!!!!! No AC, no heat. The weather was nice so it didn't bother us. My appointment is on Feb 8th.

Since the heat was fixed once and Super manifold has been replaced, What would be wrong now? I am on 2021.44.30.7 since 01/14/2022.

Attachments

• Coolant leak 1.jpg
    Coolant leak 1.jpg
    427.6 KB · Views: 130
  • Coolant Leak.jpg
    Coolant Leak.jpg
    713.6 KB · Views: 70
  • Pic 1 - Cabin Climate Control.jpg
    Pic 1 - Cabin Climate Control.jpg
    250 KB · Views: 84
Dec 28, 2021
Picked up my 2022 M3 LR on 12/28. had 4 miles on the odometer. Outside temp at pickup was 32 F. Drove about 15 minutes and realized that the heat wasn't working. Turned around and got back to Tesla. Told them I wasn't making the 435 mile drive home with no heat. They were super apologetic and nice and fixed the issue.
Jan 05, 2022
Car was in for Ceramic coat. The detailer calls me and says that some green liquid has leaked under the car. I called Tesla and was able to get an appointment the very next day. They ended up replacing the Super Manifold. they actually fixed it while my wife waited. They even got her an uber to Enterprise rental and told her to pick out any car for the 2-3 hour wait. So she could finish her errands.
Jan 29, 2022
Outside temp 63 F. We drover 50+ miles to do some shopping. Stopped at a Supercharger since I had free referral miles. We were directly in the sun and so we turned the AC on. It made a weird whining noise and so I turned it off. After a few minutes, I turn it back on and we get the message "Cabin Climate Control System requires Service" VCFRONT_a447!!!!! No AC, no heat. The weather was nice so it didn't bother us. My appointment is on Feb 8th.

Since the heat was fixed once and Super manifold has been replaced, What would be wrong now? I am on 2021.44.30.7 since 01/14/2022.
I wonder if they have issues with quality control in terms of who's charging the system with refrigerant. I wonder if they check the refrigerant pressures and subcooling before deciding that these cars are ready to be put into service...that's the only way I could see the system just immediately failing at 32F.

Reactions: GeoG
I wonder if they have issues with quality control in terms of who's charging the system with refrigerant. I wonder if they check the refrigerant pressures and subcooling before deciding that these cars are ready to be put into service...that's the only way I could see the system just immediately failing at 32F.
I know right! On the 28th when we took the car back they said there wasn’t enough refrigerant and that caused the system to malfunction. They drained it, added new refrigerant and checked for leaks and told me everything was good.

I will update after the 8th on what they did or said the cause was this time.

I know right! On the 28th when we took the car back they said there wasn’t enough refrigerant and that caused the system to malfunction. They drained it, added new refrigerant and checked for leaks and told me everything was good.

Odd that you got the dreaded ac447 error after the supermanifold replacement, certainly the first instance I’ve read about. They replaced my supermanifold and compressor after the ac447 error which has resolved mine so definitely doesn’t give me much hope this won’t recur next winter.

• Informative

Well I think we know what it means when Tesla issues their recall:

"We're recalling all Model 3/Model Y vehicles manufactured between <date 1> and <date 2>" = defective part(s)
"We're recalling some Model 3/Model Y vehicles manufactured after <date 1> and before <date 2> = we've identified the technician(s) who weren't charging the system properly. No parts were defective however we determined that if your vehicle was worked on by <technician name> when it was made at the factory, it may have issues and needs to be checked.

Of course the issue could be a combination of both of the above.

Since they have records of who worked on which vehicle, I'm sure they'll eventually identify who isn't charging the systems properly.

• Funny
Odd that you got the dreaded ac447 error after the supermanifold replacement, certainly the first instance I’ve read about. They replaced my supermanifold and compressor after the ac447 error which has resolved mine so definitely doesn’t give me much hope this won’t recur next winter.
This is the first time I am getting the A447 error. They replaced the supermanifold due to the coolant leak. Funny thing was, they replaced the Supermanifold and forgot to put the frunk in. Imagine my surprise when I opened the frunk and I could all the orange wires and everything else inside. I called them, no appointment was necessary. They got me in and got it taken care off. No paperwork involved. Lol.
Needless to say, I am frequent visitor to the SC. 🤦‍♂️

Attachments

• Frunk Pic.jpg
    Frunk Pic.jpg
    596.2 KB · Views: 89
This is the first time I am getting the A447 error. They replaced the supermanifold due to the coolant leak. Funny thing was, they replaced the Supermanifold and forgot to put the frunk in. Imagine my surprise when I opened the frunk and I could all the orange wires and everything else inside. I called them, no appointment was necessary. They got me in and got it taken care off. No paperwork involved. Lol.
Needless to say, I am frequent visitor to the SC. 🤦‍♂️
Lol yeah I saw another post somewhere where the service centre staged the car with the parts in the trunk. Next Technician working on the car didn’t realise so they ordered a second set of parts, customer realized when they got home they had a spare compressor, supermanifold and various pipes and parts in their trunk 😂. I suppose I should probably check my frunk was all put back in properly now that you mention it

• Funny
Has anyone tried preconditioning the car prior to departure? I tried it yesterday. The outside temp was 65 F. I set the car to 80 F. About 10 minutes later, I get the notification saying "Your car has reached the desired cabin temperature". I checked the app and sure enough it shows interior temp as 83 F and outside temp at 73 F.
It clearly wasnt 83F inside the car.

Dec 28, 2021
Jan 05, 2022
Jan 29, 2022

This could be due to low refrigerant. Is your car heating well?

No heat and no air. Fixed the heat issue upon pickup (12/8). Replaced the super manifold on (01/07). I figured heat and air is fixed.
Nope, both are broke as of yesterday.
My appointment is on the 8th. Will update next week.
Update:
We have a snow storm and freezing rain forecasted for tomorrow. I sent a message to the SC through the app and asked if I could get a loaner since I didn't want to drive in freezing temps with no heat.
I was surprised when I got a response saying they would get me a loaner and I could keep it till the work is completed. Appointment is on the 8th but they will try and get my car fixed up before that.
I guess, good service still exists within Tesla.

Reactions: DrGriz
Got mine back from SC today with the expected super manifold and compressor replacement . Noticed at end of service a software update to 44.30.7 was happening but I thought I already had that. Anyways Got in car and error was still on screen but went away shortly. Then drove home in -5C with snow and ice during the drive and was fine heat wise. It has been 2.5 hours in my non heated garage since I got home but did just notice Louver in front is currently open and I can see ice on radiator. Not sure any of that means anything though.

They got this done same day. I’m still happy with the Denver area SCs.

Reactions: GeoG and DrGriz