Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Recent heat pump failures - software issue?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Dec 28, 2021
Picked up my 2022 M3 LR on 12/28. had 4 miles on the odometer. Outside temp at pickup was 32 F. Drove about 15 minutes and realized that the heat wasn't working. Turned around and got back to Tesla. Told them I wasn't making the 435 mile drive home with no heat. They were super apologetic and nice and fixed the issue.
Jan 05, 2022
Car was in for Ceramic coat. The detailer calls me and says that some green liquid has leaked under the car. I called Tesla and was able to get an appointment the very next day. They ended up replacing the Super Manifold. they actually fixed it while my wife waited. They even got her an uber to Enterprise rental and told her to pick out any car for the 2-3 hour wait. So she could finish her errands.
Jan 29, 2022
Outside temp 63 F. We drover 50+ miles to do some shopping. Stopped at a Supercharger since I had free referral miles. We were directly in the sun and so we turned the AC on. It made a weird whining noise and so I turned it off. After a few minutes, I turn it back on and we get the message "Cabin Climate Control System requires Service" VCFRONT_a447!!!!! No AC, no heat. The weather was nice so it didn't bother us. My appointment is on Feb 8th.

Since the heat was fixed once and Super manifold has been replaced, What would be wrong now? I am on 2021.44.30.7 since 01/14/2022.
UPDATE:
I got my car back this morning. Both heat and air work.
I had the VCFRONT-A447 error on Jan 29th. My appointment was for the 8th.
They gave me a loaner (Model X) on the 2nd since we had a winter storm coming in on the 3rd. Called around 3:40 pm on the 8th and told me that my car was fixed. I told I will be there at 08:00am for pickup.
They aid the AC Line had a leak and that was cause of the problem. They changed the entire assembly and said they were sending the defective part to their engineers for review.

VCFRONT-A447.JPG

Electrek story with details on heat pump issue based on NHTSA document

QUOTE:
“In vehicles built with heat pump, the Electronic Expansion Valve (EXV) may experience controller communication interruptions, after which the EXV driver may attempt to realign the EXV rotor by rotating it in a small increment toward the open direction. When heat pump vehicles delivered with firmware release 2021.44 through 2021.44.30.6 experience such interruptions, the vehicle software does not close the valve, and the accumulation of interruptions and subsequent realignments over extended periods where the vehicle is awake may result in an unintended valve opening event. This, in turn, may trap refrigerant inside the evaporator and may deplete the refrigerant from the active components in the system. The depletion may result in fail-safe compressor stoppage, and cause loss of cabin heating, particularly in temperatures –10 C or colder. While the windshield defrost system continues to operate with the condition present, defrost performance may not fully comply with FMVSS 103.”
The problem apparently only affects more recent vehicles with the heat pump that were delivered with specific versions of the software:

“The recall population includes certain new Model Year (“MY”) 2021-22 Model 3, Model Y, Model S and Model X vehicles built with heat pump and running firmware release 2021.44 through 2021.44.30.6 at the time of customer delivery.”

• Informative
Reactions: DrGriz
Someday they won't call a software update a 'recall' but besides that - it's interesting they identify 2021.44.30.7 as the version that fixes the issue. I got that update way back on Jan 13 - and that was my second update that day!

"The automaker says software update 2021.44.30.7 corrects the issue, and that it impacted just 1% of the 26,681 vehicles with heat pumps identified in the U.S."

CleanShot 2022-02-09 at 19.48.22@2x.png

I was one of the person affected by this issue when it creeped out in January. Once the OTA updates went through, I never saw this again. Cue this morning, I never received the notification on my phone that the car cabin had reached its desired temperature. I also couldn't remotely start the climate control from the app. So I went outside to check and this issue came back, this time however, it was before I even left home.

I did a round trip from Quebec to Toronto, no issue whatsoever and this morning, this. I sent a defective report to Transport Canada and I'll be in contact with Tesla because according to them, they couldn't see the car for 2 and a half weeks which is absolutely unreasonable in this cold.

Attachments

• 20220214_062348.jpg
    20220214_062348.jpg
    338.5 KB · Views: 147
  • 20220214_062543.jpg
    20220214_062543.jpg
    411 KB · Views: 138
  • Screenshot_20220214-064019_Tesla.jpg
    Screenshot_20220214-064019_Tesla.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 138
I was one of the person affected by this issue when it creeped out in January. Once the OTA updates went through, I never saw this again. Cue this morning, I never received the notification on my phone that the car cabin had reached its desired temperature. I also couldn't remotely start the climate control from the app. So I went outside to check and this issue came back, this time however, it was before I even left home.

I did a round trip from Quebec to Toronto, no issue whatsoever and this morning, this. I sent a defective report to Transport Canada and I'll be in contact with Tesla because according to them, they couldn't see the car for 2 and a half weeks which is absolutely unreasonable in this cold.
Sucks to hear that. What was your temp this morning?

Does anyone notice that it's an "either/or" when charging and heating? I'm on 2021.44.30.14 and was warming the Model Y for over 25 minutes in -15C temps, then also tried charging. The car was frigid inside and only minimally charged. Using 40A/240V, so it should be able to do a bit of both at the same time - at least it does that with the Model S.

Small update. I went to the service center, the good thing is that they could see me one the same day. The bad thing is that they say there's one or more parts that are faulty, they didn't tell me which so I guess I'll see when the car is going to be ready. According to them, they expect it to be ready by the 28th of February.

However, the thing that irks me the most is that the loaner is an ICE and they straight up told me they would not be refunding the difference between charging and the cost of gas, which in QC is ludicrously expensive right now (1.60$/l so 6.05$ / gallon). Any of you guys have experience dealing with their loaner if it's an ICE and if there's anyone at their service center I can appeal to to cover this added expense since it's an issue that's under warranty ?

• Funny
  • Informative
Reactions: rypalmer and DrGriz
Small update. I went to the service center, the good thing is that they could see me one the same day. The bad thing is that they say there's one or more parts that are faulty, they didn't tell me which so I guess I'll see when the car is going to be ready. According to them, they expect it to be ready by the 28th of February.

However, the thing that irks me the most is that the loaner is an ICE and they straight up told me they would not be refunding the difference between charging and the cost of gas, which in QC is ludicrously expensive right now (1.60$/l so 6.05$ / gallon). Any of you guys have experience dealing with their loaner if it's an ICE and if there's anyone at their service center I can appeal to to cover this added expense since it's an issue that's under warranty ?
Nope, see my posts above. I’m dealing with-28 temps this morning and use a heat gun and a microfibre cloth to defrost the windshield on the inside. My appointment isn’t until March 11, but I’d rather do what I’m doing than go back to a rental SUV

Reactions: Threader
Nope, see my posts above. I’m dealing with-28 temps this morning and use a heat gun and a microfibre cloth to defrost the windshield on the inside. My appointment isn’t until March 11, but I’d rather do what I’m doing than go back to a rental SUV
I feel for you especially since car was supposedly fixed already. And these appointments so far in the future are not acceptable. Also paying for gas on a suv.

Reactions: Goulag
I have a Nov 2020 build MY with 30000km, live in Ottawa. Already had the PT sensors replaced as part of the soft recall. 2021.44.30.7 ota update on Jan 13. Heat pump failure on Feb 15 2022. Sounded like a lawn mower in the car for about 15 minutes and then nothing. SC was good. Set me up with a loaner which I had for a week. Once the car went into the service bay it only took around 90 minutes for them to fix. Replaced heat pump and pt sensors. I filled out the transport canada form.

Ours failed after 2 weeks of ownership with 349km on the odometer and dropped it in at the Service Center Wednesday morning without appointment. Got a loaner RAV4... Says the repair will be complete by March 17th...

On firmware 2021.43.102

You don't need to wait for the appointment. Drop it in now or get it towed.

Edit. I issued a complaint to Transport Canada on Tuesday. I received Yesterday an email with specific questions regarding our problem. I advise anyone with failing heat pump to click on the link below and send your complaint in.

Last edited:
Reactions: DrGriz
I dropped my car off at service prior to my appointment. Tesla put me in a rental (a Kia Soul - wow it was bad) and were able to get it fixed up after a couple of days. I got the car back and the heat is way better - more consistent, obviously hasn't quit yet - so very happy now. I lost heat 3 times in 2 days so I couldn't wait for the appointment. I think they've made some revisions on the parts or at least I hope so. Does seem better. Hasn't quit on my yet in 1.5 weeks since getting it back.

Definitely let Transport Canada know as per the links in previous comments. I am sure Tesla would resolve this on their own as well but for something like this some oversight isn't a bad thing.