Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Recent J1772 Adapters

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've read that some of the early J1772 adapters didn't fit quite right and had to be very forcefully attached to the J1772 plugs. Are recent J1772 adapters any better? I will likely be relying on one quite a bit when I do get my MS. And I'm hoping they fit much better by the time I get mine.

I've read that some of the early J1772 adapters didn't fit quite right and had to be very forcefully attached to the J1772 plugs. Are recent J1772 adapters any better? I will likely be relying on one quite a bit when I do get my MS. And I'm hoping they fit much better by the time I get mine.

Mine is a tough fit and has a dull gray finish.
I saw a production one the other day, a glossy black one, that fit much much better...

I saw a production one the other day, a glossy black one, that fit much much better...
Mine was a bit tight initially, but following a lot of the 'ol in & out, it's much looser now. (This should generate a lot of comments, particulary from mknox....)

Right now I only have 2 days a week I can do outdoor water activities, except for putting out fires.
You didn't mention you had a Fisker :tongue:

If you contact Tesla service, they'll replace that for you (so I'm told by Cinergi who had his replaced), the 2 I have are the shiny black versions, they fit into the J-1772 connector easily, no issues. Before you ask, one came with my Model S and I bought a spare for $95 to keep on my 75A OpenEVSE in the garage, so I don't have to take it off the connector... I leave one in the glove compartment for away use.

I keep mine in the cup holders since they aren't being used for cups....if you put it in sidewise you can slide the armrest covers over the adapter. Handy if you are driving the Steeplechase...
I've read that the J1772 fits suspiciously well in a section of the glovebox.

Adapters have been fine for me. For me the J1772's issue is most L2 plugs are a very tight fit if you want the clip to snap over the adapter.

"The ole in-n-out" would prolly work for it.

I've read that the J1772 fits suspiciously well in a section of the glovebox.

Adapters have been fine for me. For me the J1772's issue is most L2 plugs are a very tight fit if you want the clip to snap over the adapter.

My personal experience has involved more than 1 case of lining the adapter up with the J1772 supply connector, then hammering it (as gently as possible) onto the ground to make the clip attach; then, to remove, make sure it's still locked in the car. It almost requires one-foot-on-the-tire leverage to pull the 1772 connector from the adapter.

I suppose I'll have it replaced at some point.