TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Recent J1772 Adapters

Discussion in 'Model S: Battery & Charging' started by jomo25, Feb 19, 2013.

1. jomo25

jomo25 P4398

I've read that some of the early J1772 adapters didn't fit quite right and had to be very forcefully attached to the J1772 plugs. Are recent J1772 adapters any better? I will likely be relying on one quite a bit when I do get my MS. And I'm hoping they fit much better by the time I get mine.

2. FlasherZ

FlasherZ Sig Model S + Sig Model X + Model 3 Resv

Mine is a tough fit and has a dull gray finish.
    I saw a production one the other day, a glossy black one, that fit much much better...

3. tezco

tezco Sig P85

Mine was a bit tight initially, but following a lot of the 'ol in & out, it's much looser now. (This should generate a lot of comments, particulary from mknox....)

4. mitch672

mitch672 Active Member

If you contact Tesla service, they'll replace that for you (so I'm told by Cinergi who had his replaced), the 2 I have are the shiny black versions, they fit into the J-1772 connector easily, no issues. Before you ask, one came with my Model S and I bought a spare for $95 to keep on my 75A OpenEVSE in the garage, so I don't have to take it off the connector... I leave one in the glove compartment for away use.

5. tezco

tezco Sig P85

I keep mine in the cup holders since they aren't being used for cups....if you put it in sidewise you can slide the armrest covers over the adapter. Handy if you are driving the Steeplechase...

6. jomo25

jomo25 P4398

Cool. Thanks for the replies. I definitely hope I get a shiny one then. And pray it isnt a Due Bill item for me. (I'm going to tell my DS when the time comes that I will NEED it as I will have no other way of charging the car without it.)

7. Jason S

Jason S Model S Sig Perf (P85)

I've read that the J1772 fits suspiciously well in a section of the glovebox.

Adapters have been fine for me. For me the J1772's issue is most L2 plugs are a very tight fit if you want the clip to snap over the adapter.

"The ole in-n-out" would prolly work for it.

8. FlasherZ

FlasherZ Sig Model S + Sig Model X + Model 3 Resv

My personal experience has involved more than 1 case of lining the adapter up with the J1772 supply connector, then hammering it (as gently as possible) onto the ground to make the clip attach; then, to remove, make sure it's still locked in the car. It almost requires one-foot-on-the-tire leverage to pull the 1772 connector from the adapter.

I suppose I'll have it replaced at some point.

9. bob_p

bob_p Member

Received my Model S last month - tested the J1772 adapter last week - and it worked without any problems - and it fits into a slot on the back right side of the glove compartment.