Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Recent MYP Delivery Estimates

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You swapped, so you feel differently. You changed your mind and got a car destined for someone who originally wanted it before you changed your mind. There are indeed two lines, and you jumped the queue. Not your fault, it's Tesla's broken VIN assignment system that allows for this.
Hi Bradbrok,

I really do not know how Tesla works. My order from the beginning was always an MYP, and my car came this Wednesday. The order was put in on April 1st, this year. Which delivery was much quicker than expected. It all does not make sense.

Reactions: Otrori and bradbrok
Its fine for the change, but the change to P should not prioritize the order. There should be an option to be able to change order and keep spot in line or pay an extra fee to bump up the priority.
I don't feel like that's the solution here either. Paying for priority is dumb and will just lead to more upset customers. I wanted the Performance Y from the beginning, and had one on order back in 2020 but had to forfeit due to it not lining up with my MS75D lease end. The order times for MYPs is actually quite short. Less than 2 months if you don't get bumped down the line. Just go to the back of the P queue and wait slightly longer. It does say that changing your order will lead to delays.

Because higher margin cars were given priority.
Priority, yes. I'm not saying they're on different productions lines, they're not. However they're different vehicles. Thinking that somehow the P version would push back the LR is simply inaccurate. The LR would get pushed back regardless due to demand. The P carries a premium, hence why you usually see less. The demand is still high, but much less than the LR, hence the quicker EDD. When people swapped from LR -> P, they effectively freed up a spot for a LR reservation, and created one for a P. How this would somehow correlate to "I deserve my car quicker now because I swapped" doesn't make much sense here. While the EDD would shrink, it should not go ahead of someone who originally ordered a MYP.

Think of it this way: (explanation only, I remember this fiasco)

XBOX Series X releases along with the digital-version Series S or whatever it was. You preorder a Series S because you want the coolness of the new xbox without the premium. When you realize many more people want that and it'll take forever to get it, you order a Series X instead because you know you'll get it quicker because it's ~$200 more expensive. Would you jump ahead of all of the others who initially ordered the X? No, that would be silly, you did not want that to begin with.

I believe that you think there is more production capacity than there is.

They're not making the LR and P simultaneously. When one is made, the other stops. Every P order pushed back LR orders.
I have been in the factory on a tour. They make a batch of orders, retool, then make another batch. New P orders don't bump LR orders. They will continue to make n-number of specific variations no matter what to meet their goals for the quarter. If you so happen to want that variation you will get it faster.

Winning Guy,

So, the SC Camarillo, called me that my car would be ready for pick-up Wednesday, I told them do not wash it as it was going straight to get PPFd, and they will review the car and will report back any findings, a few minutes later they called me back and found a chip and a small dent. Rather than having me pick it up, they now are sending it out to get fixed, which pushed my pick-up to Wednesday of next week.

Be sure to go over your car thoroughly, or get someone professional to review it, as I am doing.

-Robert

It's cool of Tesla to give the order changers the old price when they don't have to. It's lame of them to push them in front of existing MYP orders. I kind of want to add a tow hitch to my existing MYP order (placed in February that I'm still waiting for) but am scared to risk getting bumped back. I don't blame LR switchers for taking advantage of the system, but the system is bullshit. It's obnoxious for anyone to say otherwise.

It's cool of Tesla to give the order changers the old price when they don't have to. It's lame of them to push them in front of existing MYP orders. I kind of want to add a tow hitch to my existing MYP order (placed in February that I'm still waiting for) but am scared to risk getting bumped back. I don't blame LR switchers for taking advantage of the system, but the system is bullshit. It's obnoxious for anyone to say otherwise.
I don't think adding a tow would bump you back, would it? I'd call on that, seems like a smaller thing to add.

Reactions: bradbrok
How do you think they're being made? Are you under the impression that there is a completely separate production line just for the P?
Its called demand.. The demand for LR is higher, they switch P and LR production in batches.. there were less MYP to make than LR hence the shorter wait times. Just because I ordered a MYP with a 2-3 month wait doesn't mean that you have to wait longer for your LR.

Some people are being really sensitive.
Priority, yes. I'm not saying they're on different productions lines, they're not. However they're different vehicles. Thinking that somehow the P version would push back the LR is simply inaccurate. The LR would get pushed back regardless due to demand. The P carries a premium, hence why you usually see less. The demand is still high, but much less than the LR, hence the quicker EDD. When people swapped from LR -> P, they effectively freed up a spot for a LR reservation, and created one for a P. How this would somehow correlate to "I deserve my car quicker now because I swapped" doesn't make much sense here. While the EDD would shrink, it should not go ahead of someone who originally ordered a MYP.

Think of it this way: (explanation only, I remember this fiasco)

XBOX Series X releases along with the digital-version Series S or whatever it was. You preorder a Series S because you want the coolness of the new xbox without the premium. When you realize many more people want that and it'll take forever to get it, you order a Series X instead because you know you'll get it quicker because it's ~$200 more expensive. Would you jump ahead of all of the others who initially ordered the X? No, that would be silly, you did not want that to begin with.
It wouldn't make sense for demand by itself to push back orders already placed. The only way they get pushed back is if others orders are put in front of them.

Some people are being really sensitive.

It wouldn't make sense for demand by itself to push back orders already placed. The only way they get pushed back is if others orders are put in front of them.
I'm not being sensitive, as I've said before I don't have much of a leg to stand on considering I haven't been waiting that long, I'm more-so generalizing here, and speaking about people who have waited for much longer than I. Would it be considered fair if you order a LR at the same time as someone who orders a MYP, then when you see their EDD is lower than yours, you switch and end up receiving yours first? It would be asinine to assume that would be fair. You'd effectively be skipping that person who ordered the MYP at the same time as you with your other vehicle.

As far as demand goes, it absolutely would make sense. Elon has even said himself that they cannot keep up with demand and will have to halt orders eventually due to manufacturing constraints. Tesla has also alluded to driver shortages and shipping problems as being the front running reason for the long EDDs. The EDD for the MYP is simply lower because they are not in as much demand as the standard LR.

It's obnoxious for someone to have a different opinion?

• Disagree
Reactions: bradbrok