Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Recent MYP Delivery Estimates

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You could probably make a nice profit flipping the MYLR. Help pay for the Performance price difference.
+1. I bought a Model 3 SR+ in March before the price hikes and sold it the other week for 8k above what I paid. I then ordered a M3P. A friend suggested I look into a Y instead. Test drove a MYLR and quickly decided on an MYP. The price difference of 7k between the MYLR and MYP isn't that awful to me. I don't think it would've been worth it if the difference were 10k+.

I ordered the MYP on 8/11 and EDD is currently between 9/1 and 9/21. Looks like folks are getting them relatively quickly now, so fingers crossed!

Reactions: lchen6 and jpy1980
Sooooo, after today and really thinking things through about the trade-in process, I'm just not pleased with Tesla taking their time and giving lowball trade offers.

Carvana offer was $2,000 more than Tesla, and out of curiosity I tried CarMax which came in another $2800 HIGHER than Carvana! I have an appointment with CarMax and hope to come out nearly $5K higher than Tesla's initial offer for my car. Let me be clear, my trade is in the $20K range, so a few thousand represents a pretty big percentage.

I'll have to figure out logistics when my MYP is ready but I think for $5,000 extra in my pocket it's too hard to turn down. It does seem like Tesla is actually discouraging trading in at this point.
Tesla offered me 4k less for my M3 SR+ than I paid in the Spring. Just for fun, I plugged in my Cayman GT4 and they offered the same trade-in price (roughly 60k less than it's worth). Feels like they've instituted a cap or something.

I ended up selling the M3 to a dealer, which was actually a seamless experience. They cut me a check and handled everything else. Way easier than selling to an individual.

Reactions: sarahlectric
Thanks for confirming. I'm OK with my current EDD; the concern I have is whether or not additional MYP orders will be moved to the front of the line and push back my build further. Is there any evidence of that happening?
I will leave the "technical" answer to folks on there who have a lot more knowledge than me. I think MYP does have configuration difference than MYLR, battery housing etc. so there might be some pre built piece already sitting around (<-- this might be a false answer).

I think essentially the MYP orders are cutting the line to MYLR orders. It's like going to Disneyland and you have a fast pass? with the premium ticketed price.

Mine moved to 8/20 - 8/30…. Truck coming to AZ soon…..

Congratulations!

I hope there's an LR inventory car on that truck, or someone rejects a delivery for a silly panel gap issue. Sold my X here and I'm relocating to AZ soon. Need a car there for 9/15. Current 8/1 MYLR order is EDD 11/16-11/30. Can afford the MYP but concerned about a harsher ride and damage risk for the slim tires. Tempting though. I've had my finger on the MYP checkout button more than once. A Turo or a rental between 9/15 and 11/16 would be close to the difference between the MYLR and MYP :(

If anyone in AZ has an unwanted MYLR white/white order for early Sept, don't cancel it. Let's chat.

Last edited:
Just ran my trade in quote again for my Model 3 through Tesla. It was $55k when I placed my order for the Model Y - it came back as $45k today. My trade in is good until 9/8, with an 8/5 order date.

My Model Y EDD is 8/30-9/19. Really hoping I take delivery before 9/8! Paying $15k out of pocket right now for the car - it would be $25k out of pocket after 9/8.

Just ran my trade in quote again for my Model 3 through Tesla. It was $55k when I placed my order for the Model Y - it came back as $45k today. My trade in is good until 9/8, with an 8/5 order date.

My Model Y EDD is 8/30-9/19. Really hoping I take delivery before 9/8! Paying $15k out of pocket right now for the car - it would be $25k out of pocket after 9/8.
YIKES! That date is cutting it close. Have you considered other options for your current car?

I think essentially the MYP orders are cutting the line to MYLR orders. It's like going to Disneyland and you have a fast pass? with the premium ticketed price.

I'm sure the MYP orders take priority because they make more money for Tesla, but there really isn't much of a physical difference between that and the MYLR builds. Word is now the LR's are using the same battery packs as the Perf, but who knows for sure with absolute certainty. I've also heard that there's a separate assembly line for the MYP compared to the MYLR, and that would make sense as the lower quantities of MYP's in that line means that there's less orders ahead of you, and your car will get built sooner.

Beyond that, it's all up to Tesla on what they decide they want to build and deliver, but history has told us with the Model S, X, 3, and now the Y, that the top end models usually get built first with higher priority compared to the other models (LR or SR+ equivalents).

Reactions: lchen6

I am in the exact same position as you. Trade in on my 3 was 39.9k and I accepted. Good until 9.4. New value is 35.7k ish.

Registration is expired at the end of the month lol.

I wonder what will happen....

It does look like they're pumping them out a bit quicker, so here is hoping for the best!

YIKES! That date is cutting it close. Have you considered other options for your current car?
Sort of - I’d just want a simple trade in. If I’d have to sell private party, I’d rather just keep my Model 3, which I’m really happy with. I just couldn’t resist the upgrade at the amount they offered.
I am in the exact same position as you. Trade in on my 3 was 39.9k and I accepted. Good until 9.4. New value is 35.7k ish.

Registration is expired at the end of the month lol.

I wonder what will happen....

It does look like they're pumping them out a bit quicker, so here is hoping for the best!
Good luck, rooting for the both of us!

Reactions: jordanair45
I ordered a MYLR on 4th of July. I saw as the EDD went from Sep, to Oct, to Nov. I am moving in Nov so I just went ahead and ordered the MYP. It was $4700 more than the MYLR I ordered, but I feel that it is worth the peace of mind knowing I'll get it before I move. Currently says 5-6 weeks, so maybe I'll get it before October!
Looking through the thread, seems like folks are getting their cars in 4-5 weeks.

Reactions: mparrish03
Depends on your state taxes. Even with the inflated car prices these youre probably lucky to break even with sales tax in CA. My MYP sales tax and reg was 7500, and theres no credit for trading it in either

If I buy my MYLR, the total cost after CA sales tax, reg, lic & fees, comes out to 57,004.... basically $57k OTD. Plain wht/blk 5-seater spec with Gemini wheels and no FSD, but I did order the tow package. I thought about getting a loan under my wife and picking it up to resell, but it's almost not worth the hassle. We would still need to pay 4200 cash up front if we took out another (short) auto loan, and can't guarantee if a place like Carmax, Vroom, or Carvana would be willing to pay more than $57k to make it worth our while.

I don't mind losing the $100 order deposit if I just cancel the order, especially if I'm able to take delivery of my MYP.

Reactions: SushiMY and lchen6