Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Recent MYP Delivery Estimates

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
idk, I think Tesla is loosing it's range leading positions already. I would guess, they need to increase the range not to fall behind other auto makers.
View attachment 755638
Two other things to consider here also is cost/mi range and efficiency. Sure, the Porsche and Mercedes have high numbers, but they also cost significantly more (than the 3/Y) and (IIRC) much bigger battery packs. The only true comparison on that list is the Mach-E. Other manufacturers still aren't anywhere close to the same range, for the money/pack size. Notably absent is the VW Id.4, which is Mach-E/Model Y like in usability/price, but not nearly as capable as those two. Bottom line: more range is easy when you just throw more money and, consequently, more battery cells at the problem.

Yes, that's why I said, once we get to 300 highway miles or so across the board, the benefit of improving charging speeds & infrastructure et al likely exceed those of further increasing range. Like I said, gas cars don't have range wars with a 300-500 mile range. If there was fast charging even close to approaching the ubiquity of gas stations, the problem would be solved.

Sidebar, I mean real-world usable range here; the EPA's range rating system is completely unrealistic for most use cases in this country and should be nuked from orbit and redesigned. Maybe they could produce a "city" range as well as "range at 75 mph" or something along those lines? Maybe with a summer and winter number? I'm sure some smart engineers could come up with something far better than what they have today.
EVs are rated at kWh/mi. That’s the true measure. Just like a gas car, that rating changes at speed and road conditions.

The only reason range matters is because it takes too long to charge and there aren’t enough chargers out there yet. Total range is not and should never be a measure because it will never be accurate or consistent.

idk, I think Tesla is loosing it's range leading positions already. I would guess, they need to increase the range not to fall behind other auto makers.
View attachment 755638
The only problems with this argument is that there are 4 out of the 7 vehicles listed are Teslas...and two are $100K+ vehicles (why isn't the lucid air here?). In the $60K range, the Mach-E range is great and is probably the first real competition.

IMO, the MYP and MYLR still hit a sweet spot on the "smaller" SUV scale with the right range and good performance. The MachE is a good vehicle and is real competition (except for the fact that dealers are putting 15-30k markups on them), but even though it tested at 344mi...the EPA rating is still 305...which is right at that same range as the MYP EPA. I do think Ford is doing themselves a disservice by not eeking out every last mile out of the EPA rating vs. how Tesla does exactly that.

In the media & public's eye, "300mi" is the range to go for right now. If Tesla designs a $50-65K SUV that can do that now, but has the flexibility to make that same vehicle design into a 400mi range car when the industry inevitably moves that way, I suspect they would have a hard time going to the executive team and claiming why they shouldn't do that.

I think in 2024, you'll see the Model Y miraculously jump to a 400mi range after a couple of competitors launch $55-65k vehicles in that range with 325-360mi EPA ranges.

I am totally fine with 300 range. Since I can just charge at home. Its like going to the gas station everyday to top of the tank without actually having to go.

Last night my Wifes car was out of gas and I had to make a trip to fill it up. If we had the MYP it would have just been plugged in. I would imagine most people in there day to day lives dont use that whole range in a day.

I am totally fine with 300 range. Since I can just charge at home. Its like going to the gas station everyday to top of the tank without actually having to go.

Last night my Wifes car was out of gas and I had to make a trip to fill it up. If we had the MYP it would have just been plugged in. I would imagine most people in there day to day lives dont use that whole range in a day.
Same.. I plug my car in at home each night, and it's scheduled to recharge in the early hours of the morning. I use 15% of my battery daily, thanks mostly to winter. FOMO runs rampant in these threads. I am happy that I got a Fremont built car, because there will likely be QC issues with the early TX builds.

Reactions: Oreodriver
Yes, that's why I said, once we get to 300 highway miles or so across the board, the benefit of improving charging speeds & infrastructure et al likely exceed those of further increasing range. Like I said, gas cars don't have range wars with a 300-500 mile range. If there was fast charging even close to approaching the ubiquity of gas stations, the problem would be solved.

Sidebar, I mean real-world usable range here; the EPA's range rating system is completely unrealistic for most use cases in this country and should be nuked from orbit and redesigned. Maybe they could produce a "city" range as well as "range at 75 mph" or something along those lines? Maybe with a summer and winter number? I'm sure some smart engineers could come up with something far better than what they have today.
I didn't disagree with you, just added my PoV :)
Yeah, these EPA ratings are completely disconnected from reality, especially for EV cars.

Reactions: NoxGrimstad
I had an MYP delivered in mid December that was damaged, so I got thrown back in the queue as well when the car was returned. My current date range is 01/14-02/07. Not sure how much longer it is for the LR variants, but with the P variant it appears that it costs you about a

That sucks to have a damaged car! Was it delivered that way to you or just to the center and it never made it to you? What kind of damage?

That sucks to have a damaged car! Was it delivered that way to you or just to the center and it never made it to you? What kind of damage?

I used 3rd party delivery, and when they called to arrange the delivery they told me that they picked the car up with scratches on the bumpers. I asked why they would load up a brand new car with noted damage and they had no response. Additionally, they loaded the car on a porous trailer bed immediately above the unprotected 4 trailer wheels, so all the rocks and sand on the 7 hour drive were thrown up onto the side of the brand new MYP. There was an active snowstorm during the drive, so the roads were really sloppy.

Overall Tesla was very helpful and sympathetic and made it right, so I don't have any complaints. I will be picking the car up this time and not shipping it since I no longer trust the 3rd party delivery service to get the car here safe in the winter. Tesla should really offer a covered transport option - I'd even be willing to pay extra.

Overall Tesla was very helpful and sympathetic and made it right, so I don't have any complaints. I will be picking the car up this time and not shipping it since I no longer trust the 3rd party delivery service to get the car here safe in the winter. Tesla should really offer a covered transport option - I'd even be willing to pay extra.
Wow, must have been a stressful time. Glad Tesla was helpful and hope it all works out! thanks for sharing the experience

Reactions: Montucky
Wow, must have been a stressful time. Glad Tesla was helpful and hope it all works out! thanks for sharing the experience

It was for sure. I was out of the country, and they didn't pick up the car for several days so it was sitting in a family members garage - I wasn't sure who was legally responsible for it since I never accepted delivery. I kept insurance on it for those few days even though I technically didn't own it. It was drama for sure.

What was your order date
My situation is very complicated. I originally ordered 11/09 but placed it on hold shortly thereafter until 01/01/2022. But then I removed the hold and pressed "I'm Ready" on 12/01 and got an EDD of Jan 4-Feb 01 but then Tesla kept placing it back on hold till 01/01, so I had to keep pressing "I'm Ready" every other day until it finally stuck around the 6th time on 12/13 and since then my EDD has been TBD