Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Recent trade-in experience?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anyone have a play by play on their Vroom experience? Most importantly anyone ever have vroom give them less money than what they were offered?

In their terms it states that they can change their offer if the condition of the vehicle is different.
Welp Vroom is giving me the runaround. They agreed to a price and now they're saying they can't honor it and a supervisor will reach out in a couple of hours. Its been beyond a couple of hours and no call yet.

Sounds like i might be sticking with Driveway. They've been less BS than vroom. Although their communication has been text/email based. They've been way more reachable and consistent than vroom.

Reactions: lUtriaNt
just read my experience with driveway along with 2 other cats in this thread. its all text /email which is fine with me because its a paper trail of our discussions, and i don't want to sit on a phone waiting for someone to answer and get transferred. i take this to mean driveway/lithia motors are just super busy -- which is a good since as it seems they are getting business!
now the one time i had to call , because they called me and i missed the call, it was a direct line to the person i was texting with.

they gave the best offer for me on my 2020 model 3 and i think vroom was second highest, but after i read that vroom have to take your car first , inspect it THEN give you your cash, that was a hard pass for me dawg.. ;-)

I ordered a 2022 and Tesla's offer for my 2020 M3P was only $44K. It was delivered in October so it's only 1.5 years old. Mileage is 13k and the condition is basically new inside and the exterior is way above average. I have several offers from dealers between $50-$52k but I'm really surprised at Tesla's offer. Carvanna, Tesla, and others are listing similar cars with a retail price close to $60k. They only asked for 4 pictures so what do they really base the offer on?

Attachments

• PXL_20220213_212301326.jpg
    PXL_20220213_212301326.jpg
    930.3 KB · Views: 137
the used car market bubble is losing stream so prices are settling and also depending on your area there may be a saturated market for teslas. here in la carvana was the lowest offer at 51k, whereas driveway.com was the highest at 55k. did you try driveway? i think since driveway is lithia motors , which are a big company, they probably can place my car anywhere where it can get a top price for them. my car had fsd (even had fsd beta) and i think that may have a hand in things. i sold my car for 55k and i only paid 51k for it in 3/2020. it had 20k miles on it and looked just as good as yours - see below.

2020m3p.jpg

as for tesla, they don't want your used car. they are in the market to sell new cars not used, so they will just give it direct to an auction. some cats have had some decent prices for trade ins at tesla but those are in the minority.

i got my new model 3p 2022 black/black this past sunday -- im happy i jumped on the used card bandwagon before it went bust.

Reactions: SantaCruzOMB
Went online to Carvana and Driveway to sell my 2020 Mustang EcoBoost Premium fully loaded with only 1756 miles in great shape so I can order my M3. But is Driveway legit as they offered me 32,055 but said they will inspect and might offer more while Carvana came in at 29,924. 2100 difference got me wondering. Did anyone here sell their car to either and which is better. Original MSRP was 40,855.

• Funny
Reactions: lUtriaNt
I have to give a shoutout for "givemethevin".

I just sold my wifes 2019 BMW X3 to them in the easiest car transaction I have ever had. Since her model Y vin finally came in on friday (delivery scheduled tomorrow actually), i started looking into selling her X3. Ran the vin through all the regular companies (but didnt try driveway). Carvana, Carmax, Shift, Vroom, and because someone mentioned it here on TMC, givemethevin.com.

Givemethevin was the highest by a thousand dollars, and when I checked into them, liked what I saw. They even pay with a check you could take to the issuing bank and cash, instead of depositing it (a check, instead of a bank draft) if you wanted.

Wifes car had existing loan but the positive equity on it was just under 12k.

givemethevin contacted me after I did their online thing on saturday, we came to an agreement on pricing for the car, I uploaded all the pictures they asked for, everything was approved monday, and I drove to a drop off location they had today (tuesday) and got a check from them after they did a 15 minute inspection. They would have sent a carrier to pick up the car, but that would have been a week longer since they are backed up.

Since I was willing to drive it the 40 miles to a drop off location they had, I got paid on the spot.

No affiliation, just a really happy customer here. I would absolutely do it again.

Current car is a white 2019 M3 SR+ with FSD 36K miles. Im buying a 2022 LR. I accepted a trade-in offer of $43,400 last Friday after sending them all the pictures and waiting a few days. Nothing has changed at all, just checked the app and it now says the offer is $36,300! The $43,400 offer specifically said it was good for 30 days.

Tesla knows my car, they have all the data on how I drove it, where it went, how I charged it. they know everything. IMO there is no excuse for lowering this offer.

Anyone else have experience with trading in a Tesla for another Tesla?

Selling my Mach-E GT my best offer was from Driveway.com, $8500 more than my worst offer which was Tesla. Carmax was only $500 more than Tesla. Then Vroom, then Carvana. IIRC Shift didn't even know what a Mach-E GT was, it wasn't a trim listed in their system.

Driveway was $67,000 which is more than they've been going for on carsandbids so I was happy enough with that.

Carmax was pretty disappointing tbh. Based off what they offered me and what they have similar cars listed for they're marking these things up like 12-15k which is obscene. Yeah, the market is insane but that means you gotta get a least a little bit insane with your trade in offers also but they're not, they're just ripping people off IMO.

• Informative
Reactions: voxel and lUtriaNt
Just for fun, I had Tesla give me an offer on my MY LR to trade on my MS LR. They asked for photos and they also asked for my MVPA (which I thought as odd other than to see what EXACTLY I paid for my car as there were so many price changes). As usual Tesla didn't disappoint with a super low offer on a mint condition M3 LR.

Absolutely NOBODY was even close to as low as Tesla. For a 2021 MY, 7 seat LR, with tow, acceleration boost, perfect condition, PPF and ceramic coating (I know maybe not a value add to Tesla or some) they offered me 52k. Next worst offer was 59k with CarMax. I tried Carvana 61k, Driveway 60k, Give me the VIN was 59k, and so on. Best offer of anyone at the wholesale level was a company in Texas. Texas Auto Value hit me with the best wholesale number of 64k. KBB instant offer would even give me an offer and the same with some other companies.

I retailed it myself for more money to a great forum member. He got a deal and I got more $$$ than wholesale. I put an add also in Facebook marketplace and got a ton of hits and some scammers too.

I had another car that we planned to sell as my wife would use the M3 LR. I got a bunch of trade offers on it and Carvana was far and away the best on it. By comparison Carmax was almost 20% lower and at almost 50% of the retail price. The transaction was super smooth with Carvana.

Reactions: voxel and mswlogo