Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Recent Used Buying Experience (New Policy)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
With the recent price drop, I'm not sure is it even worth getting a used tesla
a 100d starts at around 60k, but from experience the bottom priced one is usually super beat up.
I usually automatically skip the bottom 5-10 cars when sorted by Price low to high.

That means used 100d would be at like ~62,500, but you gotta add $2500 for mcu upgrade for these model.

These model are also pre-raven at this price...

Buying new seems the obvious choice, depending on how much one should value FSD.

Im debating about this myself...

This is my predicament as well. Even the lowest price 100Ds on there are around $58k right now for a 2017 with ~50k miles. Add the MCU upgrade and it seems silly to purchase a used one. That said, I'm having a difficult enough time trying to justify getting a car over $55k, much less almost $70k, so I'll probably wait until next year and see what happens, much as I want to take the leap sooner.

Tesla adds FSD to pretty much every used inventory car possible. It’s too bad that they won’t remove it and offer some sort of discount; not necessarily the full $8k (soon to be $10k), but something. Not all buyers are interested in FSD and a little bit of savings could help move more inventory and get more people into the Tesla family. People that, if not scared away by potential quality and/or customer service issues, may eventually step up to a new one down the road. Tesla is willing to give new buyers the choice of FSD or no FSD, I think they should do the same for used buyers.

Tesla adds FSD to pretty much every used inventory car possible. It’s too bad that they won’t remove it and offer some sort of discount; not necessarily the full $8k (soon to be $10k), but something. Not all buyers are interested in FSD and a little bit of savings could help move more inventory and get more people into the Tesla family. People that, if not scared away by potential quality and/or customer service issues, may eventually step up to a new one down the road. Tesla is willing to give new buyers the choice of FSD or no FSD, I think they should do the same for used buyers.

I guess I had this all wrong, thanks for clarifying. I thought that the used Tesla site showing "Full Self-Driving Capability" meant that the car had at least HW2 and would be *capable* of adding the FSD software package for the additional $8k or whatever. I didn't think it meant that a used listing that showed "Full Self-Driving Capability" meant that it had FSD right when you take delivery. However, that might explain why they can justify 2017 100D models that are less than 10k from a brand new one, which didn't make sense to me.

Started the process today actually. Pretty much everything is completed and waiting on final items. No pictures of the vehicle or able to see it prior to delivery. Admin side has been smooth so far. I’ll update post delivery.

This will be our fourth Tesla and first time as a CPO. While there are standard concerns, if you keep your expectations realistic I don’t think it’ll be that bad.

Let me be the first of many to remind you, the current process is NOT a CPO process, but more of a "Buyer Beware Not Technically As-Is But Pretty Close Used" process.
You should probably review what a CPO purchase really is. I've owned many luxury brands as well and a CPO inspection just means it meets minimum to be sold with a warranty. Not every inspection item is replaced/fixed if it meets their minimums. Tesla does it differently by listing their tolerances while other brands list what they looked at. Their below tolerances are very common and is usually hidden from customers when it comes to other brands like Porsche and MB. Take a look, sounds reasonable depending on year and usage, but if you're in the camp that a CPO needs to be in perfect conditions, then not much to say.

Ordering a Used Tesla

...but if you're in the camp that a CPO needs to be in perfect conditions, then not much to say.

I'm of the camp that some mnfrs came up with CPO as a way to squeeze some extra money by saying "look, this used car has fewer miles and fewer dings, so lets charge $1500 extra and say it's in the top 10% of used cars (or whatever upper limit)."

I'm also of the camp that Tesla used to call them CPO purchases, and went out of their way to scrub every trace of the term "CPO" from the website/process.

I'm of the camp that some mnfrs came up with CPO as a way to squeeze some extra money by saying "look, this used car has fewer miles and fewer dings, so lets charge $1500 extra and say it's in the top 10% of used cars (or whatever upper limit)."

I'm also of the camp that Tesla used to call them CPO purchases, and went out of their way to scrub every trace of the term "CPO" from the website/process.
:)
Honestly, Tesla has really lowered expectations for me. I tend to not care anymore though as long as it drives as I expect. A small cosmetic scuff during delivery is ignored while Porsche would be extremely embarrassed and detail it on the spot, probably throw in some stuff also. Either way, I think if the customer thinks the condition is worth the price they’re agreeing on it’s okay.

I definitely prefer to see the vehicle in person or even pictures but sometimes it isn’t always possible and a gamble they’re making customers take. Worst case is to refuse and ask for deposit back or have it transferred to a new car. They’ve been pretty nice about those in my experience.

How much was it for 2019 model?
$69k before delivery/fees. It was pretty close to just buying new no-upgrades-base 2020, TBH. The difference was that I wanted the upgraded wheels, FSD w/ AP3 hardware, etc. And with the new builds, that would've inevitably come out to close to $15k more than this (even with the recent price drop). Not to mention that this had all the other features that used to be upgrades before the current simplified options. And since I got it before they nixed the Tesla Pre-owned warranty (4 yr, 50k miles from point of delivery of the used car) it made it well worth it for me. Again, a lot of it was personal preference on my end.

However, with the 2020 you would get additional range + raven motors. I test drove it; the difference is slight but definitely noticeable. For me, it was not the biggest thing - this is my work commuter and I don't need the additional range. And as long as I had the smart suspension upgrade, I was fine.

@Pandamoanium Glad to hear that it turned out well for you - congrats on the new car!

Here's my story in the hopes it helps someone out there. First all, it's stinks to be buying a used Tesla, especially so soon after they changed the warranty from 4y/50k to 1y/10k, CPO is no longer a term, no pictures, and the 7-day return window is gone (haha, did I really just buy one after all those negatives?). But for me, my car blew up at an inopportune time (is there every a right time?), and so I needed a car. After mulling over choices from super low end to new Model Y, I ended up buying a used 2015 Model S 70D (11/15). I did find the price history that https://tesla-info.com/car/US-VIN helpful when shopping around.

Ordered the car (or bought a $500 lottery ticket) that was local on Nov 3rd, used car advisor reached out on Nov 4th, filled out the info, yada yada yada, picked up the car on Friday the 13th. One interesting thing that the used car advisor noted when I chatted with them a few days after I ordered was that they had not had a used car refusal since they started to do some cosmetic improvements/ cleaning in 2 mos (and I was thinking that I might be the first...) to their Tesla specs. Not sure if they really changed anything formally, but maybe they're not leaving cars as is and doing a little prep/ refurbishing/ cleaning than before. Communication is still spotty with your Used Car Advisor, the Used Car Team, some other random person on the email thread,

Pre-delivery issues: 1) Tesla could not deliver the car at the service center/ gallery I originally chose, 2) they needed the car added to insurance here in Texas so they can get the temp tag, 3) they needed funding to be complete before they would take the car out of storage and start the inspection, 4) I had to wait for the advisor to get the MVPA updated with new financing, so I would advise to choose the 'Other financing/ self-financing option' rather than just choosing Alliant. I would also recommend just financing the whole amount (minus taxes in Texas as those need to be paid to your county). It seems like adding a down payment (or trade-in) to the process can complicate things. You can just go and put your down payment to your principal on your car loan (unless you're fortunate to be a cash buyer on this depreciating asset).

Delivery day: Pulled into the Tesla service center, hoping I was not going to find some broken down junker that was in the color of my car. Walked up to the car, some minor paint chips on the front nose cone, did a belly crawl around to check the battery, wheels, etc. End result, the outside looked better than I expected. I walked in to ask if I could take a look inside, and the receptionist told me that I needed to log in and click the 'Accept Delivery' button. I asked her if that would mean I took delivery and if I could still back out of it - she stated that if I found something that they could reverse and refund the payment. I took a leap, clicked the button and walked back out to the car to take a look inside. Overall, some wear and tear, but it looked better than I expected.

Post-delivery issues: 1) Bubbles on the IC screen that the advisor said to schedule and that they would replace under warranty, 2) Rear passenger window would not auto-up or auto-down from the rear passenger control or front driver, and would after rolling it down, it would roll-up a little and then roll back down. They asked me to reset, didn't fix it, then with someone helping the window up, it went up all the way. They were nice that they could expedite a service appt in a week vs the standard 3 weeks, but I'm ok with not rolling it down so they can save the spot for someone in more dire need. I left the car there, and they actually had a mobile tech come out to try to fix the rear window, which was great, except they left the front passenger window rolled down. Thankfully it did not rain, and just had some tree sap that I had to wash out. Pretty annoying, but not long term damage & it did not rain thankfully 3) After driving for 4 days, I got a 12v battery replacement warning, so I added that to the list. 4) Used advisor said it takes 18-27 days for the Fedex paperwork, so I'll wait for that, then head to the county tax assessor and pay the taxes.

Financing: No Tesla financing options given, it was either Alliant or finance on your own - I searched/ called all around from Alliant, BoA, local CU and got rates from 1.95% to 3.24% for 60 mos with excellent credit. Ended up going with University Federal Credit Union (UFCU), and I'd recommend them if you're in Texas (and worth checking out if they will accept you as a member if you're out of state).
Insurance: Called around insurances with rates ranging from $700-$1500/ 6 mos.

Tesla thoughts: There's some super fan boys, super haters, and most reasonable people are in-between where the most people's reality lies. Overall, it's a dream car for me with some great tech and options. I haven't been too impressed with AP1, it's more stressful to let it drive since it just doesn't work well with sharper turns or construction zones and it doesn't seems to track in the center. It makes me nervous to see it drifting in the lane towards a car in the adjacent lanes. I got a base 70D, so coming from a rocket fast Prius, it's quick enough and the power is a little lacking once you're at highway speeds (still has plenty, but I'm sure the 85D or 90D would feel punchier). I still need to get a 14-50 outlet put in since I wasn't sure this purchase was going to go through, so I've had to plan my longer road trips with charging factored in.

Wow, that turned out longer than expected - hope there was something in there that helped someone out there. Good luck on that lottery ticket purchase if you decide to take the plunge!

Attachments

• Tesla MS 70D.jpg
    Tesla MS 70D.jpg
    435.4 KB · Views: 100
@Pandamoanium Glad to hear that it turned out well for you - congrats on the new car!

Here's my story in the hopes it helps someone out there. First all, it's stinks to be buying a used Tesla, especially so soon after they changed the warranty from 4y/50k to 1y/10k, CPO is no longer a term, no pictures, and the 7-day return window is gone (haha, did I really just buy one after all those negatives?). But for me, my car blew up at an inopportune time (is there every a right time?), and so I needed a car. After mulling over choices from super low end to new Model Y, I ended up buying a used 2015 Model S 70D (11/15). I did find the price history that https://tesla-info.com/car/US-VIN helpful when shopping around.

Ordered the car (or bought a $500 lottery ticket) that was local on Nov 3rd, used car advisor reached out on Nov 4th, filled out the info, yada yada yada, picked up the car on Friday the 13th. One interesting thing that the used car advisor noted when I chatted with them a few days after I ordered was that they had not had a used car refusal since they started to do some cosmetic improvements/ cleaning in 2 mos (and I was thinking that I might be the first...) to their Tesla specs. Not sure if they really changed anything formally, but maybe they're not leaving cars as is and doing a little prep/ refurbishing/ cleaning than before. Communication is still spotty with your Used Car Advisor, the Used Car Team, some other random person on the email thread,

Pre-delivery issues: 1) Tesla could not deliver the car at the service center/ gallery I originally chose, 2) they needed the car added to insurance here in Texas so they can get the temp tag, 3) they needed funding to be complete before they would take the car out of storage and start the inspection, 4) I had to wait for the advisor to get the MVPA updated with new financing, so I would advise to choose the 'Other financing/ self-financing option' rather than just choosing Alliant. I would also recommend just financing the whole amount (minus taxes in Texas as those need to be paid to your county). It seems like adding a down payment (or trade-in) to the process can complicate things. You can just go and put your down payment to your principal on your car loan (unless you're fortunate to be a cash buyer on this depreciating asset).

Delivery day: Pulled into the Tesla service center, hoping I was not going to find some broken down junker that was in the color of my car. Walked up to the car, some minor paint chips on the front nose cone, did a belly crawl around to check the battery, wheels, etc. End result, the outside looked better than I expected. I walked in to ask if I could take a look inside, and the receptionist told me that I needed to log in and click the 'Accept Delivery' button. I asked her if that would mean I took delivery and if I could still back out of it - she stated that if I found something that they could reverse and refund the payment. I took a leap, clicked the button and walked back out to the car to take a look inside. Overall, some wear and tear, but it looked better than I expected.

Post-delivery issues: 1) Bubbles on the IC screen that the advisor said to schedule and that they would replace under warranty, 2) Rear passenger window would not auto-up or auto-down from the rear passenger control or front driver, and would after rolling it down, it would roll-up a little and then roll back down. They asked me to reset, didn't fix it, then with someone helping the window up, it went up all the way. They were nice that they could expedite a service appt in a week vs the standard 3 weeks, but I'm ok with not rolling it down so they can save the spot for someone in more dire need. I left the car there, and they actually had a mobile tech come out to try to fix the rear window, which was great, except they left the front passenger window rolled down. Thankfully it did not rain, and just had some tree sap that I had to wash out. Pretty annoying, but not long term damage & it did not rain thankfully 3) After driving for 4 days, I got a 12v battery replacement warning, so I added that to the list. 4) Used advisor said it takes 18-27 days for the Fedex paperwork, so I'll wait for that, then head to the county tax assessor and pay the taxes.

Financing: No Tesla financing options given, it was either Alliant or finance on your own - I searched/ called all around from Alliant, BoA, local CU and got rates from 1.95% to 3.24% for 60 mos with excellent credit. Ended up going with University Federal Credit Union (UFCU), and I'd recommend them if you're in Texas (and worth checking out if they will accept you as a member if you're out of state).
Insurance: Called around insurances with rates ranging from $700-$1500/ 6 mos.

Tesla thoughts: There's some super fan boys, super haters, and most reasonable people are in-between where the most people's reality lies. Overall, it's a dream car for me with some great tech and options. I haven't been too impressed with AP1, it's more stressful to let it drive since it just doesn't work well with sharper turns or construction zones and it doesn't seems to track in the center. It makes me nervous to see it drifting in the lane towards a car in the adjacent lanes. I got a base 70D, so coming from a rocket fast Prius, it's quick enough and the power is a little lacking once you're at highway speeds (still has plenty, but I'm sure the 85D or 90D would feel punchier). I still need to get a 14-50 outlet put in since I wasn't sure this purchase was going to go through, so I've had to plan my longer road trips with charging factored in.

Wow, that turned out longer than expected - hope there was something in there that helped someone out there. Good luck on that lottery ticket purchase if you decide to take the plunge!

Thanks. Glad yours worked out as well with minor items. I think it’s all down to location as well. SC let me go over the vehicle and inside with the delivery advisor to look prior. Honestly I think it’s location since I’ve heard experiences all over the spectrum.

Post delivery items were recently addressed. All went well and as expected. I think when you get a used car you’ve got to be realistic with items. Which seems like majority are not. They expect perfect, that’s a new car situation. Even with Mercedes I’ve had them tell me to pound sand with new and used vehicle purchases. Isn’t a Tesla thing, IMO it’s a consumer thing.