Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

RecentClips folder keeps recording even in my garage!!!!!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

SlimJim

Jul 25, 2019
USA
I just went to the car to get the SD card out to see what it recorded today.
And I thought it was weird that the SD card reader was hot.
Sure enough, when I put the card in my computer to see the files, it has been recording continuously up to the time I pulled the card out of the car!!!!!!!!!!!!
The car has been parked in the garage for more than 2 hours!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Maybe my car does not fall asleep like some members have reported!!!!!!!!!!!
WTH?????????
It will kill the micro SD card (SanDisk High Endurance 128 GB) prematurely!!!!!!!!!!
It has last 1 hour worth of videos parked in the garage!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Maybe it is normal and is intended to work this way...
It would be nice to be able to choose whether to keep recording when parked at home.

I have Sentry mode excluded for home.
Every night from 7pm to 8am, the car is in the garage.
I wish Tesla software engineers would make it so that I can check the box to have it "Only record while the car is in motion."

when I put the card in my computer to see the files, it has been recording continuously up to the time I pulled the card out of the car!!!!!!!!!!!!
Yes, it does this!!!!!!!! And has been doing this for a long time!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It will kill the micro SD card (SanDisk High Endurance 128 GB) prematurely!!!!!!!!!!
Yes it will!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Love
Reactions: SlimJim
Dashcam records any time the car is awake.

This.

If it's awake, and there's proper recording media attached, the car is recording- no matter your location.

If your car isn't going to sleep (and sentry isn't on) you have a different issue.

It's not gonna "kill" your card though.

Car writes at 2MB/s...which is ~7.2 GB per hour... so ~17.7 hours for 1 full write cycle on the card.

A high endurance card is likely using flash rated for 5000 write cycles.

That's a little over 10 years of 24/7/365 continuous use.

And that assumes your car NEVER sleeps. For over a decade.

Assuming you get "normal" sleep working it's gonna be asleep what at least half that time? Likely nearer 2/3rds for most folks.

Meaning 20+ years before it's an issue.

It's why even NON high endurance 128 GB flash of good quality will last about as long as most people own a car for.

Last edited: