Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Recently bought a 2019 Model 3 SR+. It somehow has free supercharging... Advice/Info.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi Folks,

Quick background - I live in the UK and I am new to Tesla and EVs in general. My work has installed 22KW chargers and introduced free charging to employees, so I've taken the plunge and bought a second hand model 3 to take advantage and save money on fuel (spending around £300 a month on petrol at the moment).

The car itself is a standard range plus that was registered in Dec' 2019. It is in more or less mint condition inside and out (small dink in rear bumper), has done 48k miles. it has two previous owners before I bought it. Battery deg is 87% which I am now learning about and realising is above average for the mileage (100% charge = 207 miles so its fine for what I need I guess).

Now for the peculiar bit (I think) - when I bought the car the previous owner informed me that the car has free supercharging, he couldn't tell me why and just explained that the previous owner before him told him that it had free supercharging; he did not query it and bought the car. He told me that he didn't register the car on the app as he was concerned that in doing that he may lose the supercharging. Now I am in the situation where I have a Model 3 SR+ that has free supercharging but having done research I am puzzled as to why because I can't find any previous promotions or programs that Tesla ran during that time on that car model that would give my car this benefit? Being new to Tesla I was probably a bit wet behind the ears when I bought it, now having done more reading I am more aware.

I would quite like to get the car register on the app and be able to use the functionality that the app brings. There is also an intermittent fault on the HVAC that prevents me from using 'Dog Mode' most of the time that I would quite like to get fixed and I know that servicing/repairs etc is all ran through the app. However, I am obviously wary of losing the free supercharging benefit I have fortunately inherited. I moved away for work and travel back home quite regularly so the free supercharging has been amazing for those journeys so far.

I guess I am just looking for a bit of advice/information on what could possibly have resulted in my car having free supercharging, and what would you guys do in terms of app access/servicing if you were in my situation? One of the guys at work that also has a Tesla suggested I just go into the local service centre and explain the situation honestly and see what they say, but my fear in doing that is that they will tell me I shouldn't have it and remove it from my vehicle.

Any help for a Tesla newbie would be much appreciated!

Thanks.