Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Reckless driver, Model 3 prevents accident…

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Exactly. We can’t wait for autonomous to be perfect and in every car. Bad things will still happen. People have to get out of the mindset that if there is a “chance” of an accident, they don’t want to use it.

Right, once it's safer than humans are, it would be like calculated manslaughter to not approve it for use. There will still be fatal accidents but there will be fewer of them. In other words, it will save lives and prevent injuries.

Reactions: SO16
On I-45 North near beltway 8 in Houston, reckless Giulia driver cuts into my lane from right and almost hit my car. Instinctively applied breaks and turned steering wheel to the left – Ford pick-up was on the left lane at the same time. Model 3 kept me in the lane, yanked me back to the right, again kept me in the lane pulling the car into the center.

At that speed (60 – 65 MPH to begin with), ping ponging in the lane felt very different and unsettling. Within few seconds the car, drive etc was as if nothing happened… I hit the TeslaCam button.

I think it’s the emergency lane departure avoidance that kept me in the lane and avoided an accident.

Thanks Tesla!

Before reviewing the footage, I felt like road rage towards the Model 3 since it was a Giulia (TMC and Reddit influence I guess), however, after looking at the footage, the Giulia driver was cutting other vehicles off as well.

Skip to 25 sec for the event

Front:

Left Repeater:

Right Repeater:

How do we discourage this reckless behavior?

On I-45 North near beltway 8 in Houston, reckless Giulia driver cuts into my lane from right and almost hit my car. Instinctively applied breaks and turned steering wheel to the left – Ford pick-up was on the left lane at the same time. Model 3 kept me in the lane, yanked me back to the right, again kept me in the lane pulling the car into the center.

At that speed (60 – 65 MPH to begin with), ping ponging in the lane felt very different and unsettling. Within few seconds the car, drive etc was as if nothing happened… I hit the TeslaCam button.

I think it’s the emergency lane departure avoidance that kept me in the lane and avoided an accident.

Thanks Tesla!

Before reviewing the footage, I felt like road rage towards the Model 3 since it was a Giulia (TMC and Reddit influence I guess), however, after looking at the footage, the Giulia driver was cutting other vehicles off as well.

Skip to 25 sec for the event

Front:

Left Repeater:

Right Repeater:

How do we discourage this reckless behavior?
I wonder if rather than it being the lane protection it's more like when you're making a lane change and your car spots a car pulling into your space and it jerks you back to avoid the collision.

My 3 impresses me more every day. A few days after receiving the car we were on our way to Escondido to check out Cruising Grand Friday evening. I believe it was an Acura that had entered the 15 fwy south near the 78 and immediately veered across all 5 lanes to make it into the HOV lanes. The Acura was hard on the gas as it went behind us closely. The moment it started into my lane, my 3 accelerated for a few seconds and resumed cruise control after it left my lane. I saw the ding-a-ling coming and knew it was close but the saftey factor kicked in and at that very moment I knew this is the most awesome car I've ever experienced.
I only regret is I hadn't gotten to installing the USB stick yet and have no footage. I'm sure it would've recorded it cuz when it went by the avatar on my screen was red and made a warning sound.
I absolutely LOVE this new member of the family and understand why Elon wants us to name these things!! :D I even talk to "Atles"and say hello and THANK YOU!!! :)

Reactions: Tron 3